Recovery Bag Recommendations

• HTML tutorial

SC_4Runner

Rank 0

Contributor II

I've recently built up my recovery kit, but I am in need of a great bag. I've found a few options, but I am curious what everyone else is using. Below of the three main competitors I have my eye on:

ARB Large Recovery Bag:

Viking Recovery Gear Bag M4:

Blue Ridge Overland Gear "Oh Crap, I'm Stuck":

My kit currently comprises of a 30' kinetic rope, 50' winch extension, 16' tree savor, a static recovery bridle, a few soft shackles, and of course, gloves. I am still shopping for a winch line block.

My guess is that everything I have may fit in the Viking or ARB, but I would need two Blue Ridge bags. I suppose there are pros and cons to splitting gear up. I'll end up needing a second bag anyway to keep my tire repair kit, airline hose, deflator, and hi-lift base plate.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I've recently built up my recovery kit, but I am in need of a great bag. I've found a few options, but I am curious what everyone else is using. Below of the three main competitors I have my eye on:

ARB Large Recovery Bag:

Viking Recovery Gear Bag M4:

Blue Ridge Overland Gear "Oh Crap, I'm Stuck":

My kit currently comprises of a 30' kinetic rope, 50' winch extension, 16' tree savor, a static recovery bridle, a few soft shackles, and of course, gloves. I am still shopping for a winch line block.

My guess is that everything I have may fit in the Viking or ARB, but I would need two Blue Ridge bags. I suppose there are pros and cons to splitting gear up. I'll end up needing a second bag anyway to keep my tire repair kit, airline hose, deflator, and hi-lift base plate.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've gone with a simple ARB personally and it is very tough. I can't give feedback on the other bags.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

ARB has my vote. No personal experience with the bag, but they are all about quality and I'm pleased with all their other products.

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

I'd just run down to the local military surplus store and see if they have something. Or check out Lowes or Home Depot and look at the tool bags. I don't see the point to spending the extra money on a bag just because it has a fancy name on it, but then again I'm a cheap ass. Out of curiosity, what do those bags cost?

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

+1 for a common tool bag. Another option is a hard side tote, these can be plopped down in water and muck without soaking it up, plus they contain muck stuck to your straps so it doesn't get all over your rig. As a bonus, a plastic tote is easy to dunk in the nearest stream to clean off without it getting wet and soggy (and mildewed/stinky). The hard sides make it easy to organize your gear and find what you need without fighting the bag itself.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I have the Hi-Lift jack bag, it all seems kinda low-end but has always done the job.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@hidesertwheelin makes a good point. My off-road recovery kit is actually in a $10 plastic tote from Lowes. I have a total of four totes that stack together perfectly next to our ARB fridge in the rear of the 4Runner. It's better than have a varying assortment of bags floating around. (of which we have plenty anyhow!)
But that ARB bag is just so cool...

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

@hidesertwheelin makes a good point. My off-road recovery kit is actually in a $10 plastic tote from Lowes. I have a total of four totes that stack together perfectly next to our ARB fridge in the rear of the 4Runner. It's better than have a varying assortment of bags floating around. (of which we have plenty anyhow!)
But that ARB bag is just so cool...
I keep all my recover gear in a small Plano tote. The reason I have such a large tote (comparably) is that I have a pair of Go Tread foldable traction mats, and it all fits inside nicely.

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

I use this bag to keep my ARB 30' and tree saver and my Crosby shackles in. Gloves, duct tape, SOG entrenchment tool, Smitty bilt tire repair kit, Small first aid kit, receiver hitch D-ring, all fit in this Blackhawk bag.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Your on the right track, bag or box? I use a front runner box, it works great. You can also stand on it if you need to.
PS
I would stay away from a fixed drawer in the rear for recovery, what if you can't open your rear door.

Last edited:

SC_4Runner

Rank 0

Contributor II

I ended up with the BROG large bag. I love it and it holds my bridle, winch extension, tree strap, several soft shackles, and has room for a pulley block too. Didn't want to cram in the kinetic rope. Looking for a smaller bag for that.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Right now I am using a cheap $12 canvas bag from Amazon and it is doing the job. I plan to move everything to an ActionPacker tote because it won't soak up mud and water. Plus I can sit on it in camp and use it to fill the gap in the back seat footwell and get some extra sleeping space.

tom

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
i picked up a cheap fabric tool bag from Harbor freight, use it for chain, shackles, etc... and the whole thing is stuffed in a compartment in the back or the truck.. Assorted other shackles, tree and recovery strap at the ready in a rear drawer and tow strap in the garage... Although, this thread has some great ideas and I'm rethinking my current layout - Thanks OB Community

NCLR Board Member
Director of Affairs

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I use an action packer plastic box. Pretty water tight if left out in the rain and doubles as a seat or ottoman in camp if need be. My rear storage system is designed around a pair of them and some other hard containers.

Reactions: NorthStar96

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I like the fact that Deadman Anchor has additional versitility over a PullPal and is way lighter. For someone who spends a lot of time wheeling where there is deep sand that looks like a great option. It would take all day to dig a hole in the mountains around here to bury it or any other for that matter.

Reactions: OutOfStep