Rear Facing Bench Seat For Wrangler JK

• HTML tutorial

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

One thing myself and my 6 y/o son like to do is natter on the HAM rig in the rear of the JK in various locations but the JK 2 door setup isn't ideal for this. With the rear seat in place there isn't room for us to park our behinds and without it there's plenty of space but it's uncomfortable, so I decided we needed a rear facing bench seat, the kind you often see in the back of Land Rovers. There were a few on the market in the US but they weren't quite what I was after and were extremely expensive and heavy to ship so I set about making one. Eventually, I came up with this:

http://4wdx.com/custom-made-mobile-ham-shack-bench-seat-in-2-door-wrangler-jk/

which has worked out well at a fairly minimal cost. A replacement Land Rover 110 seat for £40 ($65), an old fence post and a couple of off-cuts from our recently installed oak kitchen surface provided the rest of the required materials to build the seat

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hey Duncan,

Very nice. And it is good to have improvise with kitchen stuff and landrover parts. Which means its way thinking out of the box. Well done.

Greetings from Robert

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

Cheers Robert! I love making things this way as long as I can get them to look and work right, the way I want them to. Many people, myself included, never thought they had the skills to work on their rigs themselves. I began cautiously in 2009 and gradually gained the confidence to do pretty much all my own builds and repairs and up-cycling stuff makes it all the more rewarding, I find.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
11150 said:
One thing myself and my 6 y/o son like to do is natter on the HAM rig in the rear of the JK in various locations but the JK 2 door setup isn’t ideal for this...  
Wow @ukcrd this is a great setup - looks awesome! more interior organization ideas for @msoverlandbound !

msoverlandbound

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

11228 said:
Wow @ukcrd this is a great setup – looks awesome! more interior organization ideas for @msoverlandbound !
We have got to step up our interior game!! This is amazing.

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

I love this! great job. Drive-ins would be awesome too, when he gets a little older. @administrator

Reactions: Jeepjk16

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

One thing myself and my 6 y/o son like to do is natter on the HAM rig in the rear of the JK in various locations but the JK 2 door setup isn't ideal for this. With the rear seat in place there isn't room for us to park our behinds and without it there's plenty of space but it's uncomfortable, so I decided we needed a rear facing bench seat, the kind you often see in the back of Land Rovers. There were a few on the market in the US but they weren't quite what I was after and were extremely expensive and heavy to ship so I set about making one. Eventually, I came up with this:

which has worked out well at a fairly minimal cost. A replacement Land Rover 110 seat for £40 ($65), an old fence post and a couple of off-cuts from our recently installed oak kitchen surface provided the rest of the required materials to build the seat

I have a seat going into my '01 P38 Range Rover. Got it from a place in the UK (Scot Seat Direct). Good price ($1000) for shipping and handling included. I haven't gotten it installed yet, but will on May 28th.

Good luck!
Gabe