Rath's Trailer Build - First Test Pull Done!

• HTML tutorial

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

My wife tells me I never bothered to grow up. How the heck would she know???? She's only been married to me for 44 years.
I don't understand either, I've been married for 38 years, and she tells me the same thing. It's got to be that perspective thing. Ron

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

slow progress is still slow! but it's also still progress.

No visual progress, but wheels and tires should hopefully be in next week.The 35's its currently sitting on need to go back on my truck soon! I am going with 235/85r16 tires for the trailer. basically a 31.8" tall pizza cutter.

I ordered some of the steel for the build as well. hopefully can order the rest in the next couple weeks and then slap it all together.

Reactions: smritte

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

a little bit of progress. got the "uprights" all cut and filed down the edges. These will connect the lower frame to the upper frame, and boards will be bolted to them.

and just for fun, it warmed up a bit this weekend and somehow I found mud.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

She must a strong woman. I've only been married 5 years and think she's starting to worry already
they marry us cuz they think we need someone to take care of us,,,, then they complain about it

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

small update, got all the metal I need to build the cargo part of the trailer. Not sure how far I'll get with it this weekend, at a minimum all the pieces will be cut to length. At most, the bottom frame will be welded.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

22' 2 x 3 .125
14' 2 x 2 .125
20' 1.5 x 1.5 .100
22' 1 x 1 .100
14' 1 x 1 .100

$140. Goes to show it's not what you know, it's who you know.

cheapest local-ish ([picking up, no delivery) metal supply shop would have cost me around $450.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
When you sit and draw out the size of the project, it always amazes me how much steel it takes. I bought the bulk of my frame and wall support steel at the same time. The difference for me in price between a 15' and a 20' length is enough that its cheaper to buy 20' lengths. Now I have an impressive scrap pile.
Looks like your coming along nicely.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Definitely adds up quick!

That's not the tongue, or anything outside of the main cargo structure either haha.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

got everything cut to length today. Welding will probably wait till next weekend, will hopefully get wood this week as well. we'll see how crazy the lumber stores are, I can't see them being too bad.

Cut pieces

The leftover pieces

Main frame laid out.

Top frame laid out.

Lid frame laid out.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Today we got the main frame all welded up. Had my brother do the welding. He's better at it than I, and as much as I would like to say I built this all myself, I know where to use help when it will benefit me. Not that my welds are bad, but better is better!

anyway, a couple of photos. (look at how much the snow has melted!)
a 5-ton box truck makes a handy flat area to weld in.

Now, after tacking the spring hangers in place, (going to move the rear one forward slightly, to give the shackle a bit more angle at the resting point) I noticed that the front hanger isn't very long vs the rear + shackle. leaving the leafs at an angle, thus putting an angle on the axle itself/spring perch. Is this an issue? I've seen quite a few online like this, but also quite a few where the front hanger is longer to make up for the shackle length, leaving the leafs "flatter" (eye to eye is level)

I don't see this being an issue how it is, but I also have no idea. any input would be appreciated. It's not a very severe angle as is, and will be less when the rear hanger is moved forward slightly, but just curious.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Spring angle isn't an issue. If this was a differential, pinion angle would come into play. I would leave the shackles straight. The spring will compress some with weight depending on what spring rate you got. Don't make the shackle bolts too tight so they can move freely. I prefer to run castle nuts and cotter pins on the spring bolts. I also always recommend shocks no matter the trailer size. Now is the time to install the shock tabs. I have a couple of part numbers for short shocks if you go that way. If you get "trailer" shocks, they tend to be pricey, I use common automotive ones.

Reactions: Rath

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Sounds good. Did more research and it seems fairly common. I'll leave the mounts tacked till I get everything else built and on, and see where the shackled angle is at. You're probably right that it's good.

Also ordered wheels yesterday finally.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

thanks. hopefully get a lot more knocked out this coming weekend. Supposed to rain/snow this week and since I gotta work outside that kinda kills progress for now.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Wheels showed up on Thursday, still waiting for tires.

16x6 5x4.5 0mm offset.

also got a bunch of small odds and ends that were on sale. Straps, buncha tie done anchor rings, 7 blade trailer end plug and vehicle end plug, and a stretchy cargo net I plan to use to hold things down in the trailer while transporting.

Hoping to get some more welding done today, we'll see. We ended up getting snow storm so things are all covered in snow. I managed to cover the trailer with a tarp so it shouldn't be too bad to shovel around it and get back to work.

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Alright, we got a lot done today! Can measure for wood now. Also welcome back, snow. lmao.

Tossed the wheels on just for fun. will need probably an inch and a half spacers. waiting for tires to get true measurements before ordering spacers

Then we got to welding. Top frame went in really nicely.

and then slapped on the 2" x 3/16" flat bar along the sides and burned those in.

bout as far as we got today. Only welding left now is the lid portion. Hopefully be able to order and get all the wood I need this coming week. Will probably have to wait for it to warm up to stain it though so progress is likely halted now for a while. unless we decided to do the lid tomorrow.