Ram 1500 Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

Coolhand

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami Lakes, FL
Member #

Kemper how high did you lift the front to fit the 295s? Also are you still able to get offroad 1 and 2 modes from the suspension?

Thanks

Overland Bound member #6560

Reactions: kickkem

53kemper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodland Hills California
Member #

Kemper how high did you lift the front to fit the 295s? Also are you still able to get offroad 1 and 2 modes from the suspension?

Thanks

Hey Coolhand, I shortened my linkage in order to get the front to level out with the rear. The tires do onot rub and truck is able to go in to off road 1 and 2. With that said, I was in death valley last week going about 50 over some pretty harsh wash board. I hit a dip and the front linkage popped off. Next thing I know the front air ride system bottom out. Had to limp it 20 miles back to camp. Once I popped the stock linkage on and drove it a few yards the air system recovered and I was fine again. I am on the process of putting on 2 1/2 in leveling blocks on the front incase it happens again i'll have enough travel to get out of any issues. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've run these tires with the modified links for some time now without any issues. The truck is not meant to haul ass through the desert and hit dips so I had that coming. Ive been over rock gardens and some pretty rough terrain with the truck and it handles everything i throw at it.

Coolhand

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami Lakes, FL
Member #

Thanks Kemper, are you going to use regular leveling spacers on top of the whole assembly?

Coolhand

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami Lakes, FL
Member #

We don't have deserts or washboards over here. So I think I should be pretty safe on that end.

Wired_

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

When these truck have air ride, does it still have the traditional IFS in the front or do they switch to solid axle?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

I'm new to these forums, and have been slowly making my way through countless threads, and I have to say that I think this has been the best of all. Your truck looks fantastic, and I'm doubly impressed at all the work you've done yourself. I just picked up a 2018 Rebel not two weeks ago, and I've been obsessing over what mods I'd like to start with as I test the waters of overlanding in NJ.

One of the first things that struck me with your build was air suspension (OEM, I assume?). So many guys who have it equipped on their trucks from the factory resign themselves at some point to remove it so they can install an aftermarket kit that isn't compatible with the air bags. Since I have a brand new Rebel with air ride, I feel compelled to keep it... so I was happy to see that you incorporated it into for your ultimate build. I was thinking of getting the BDS 4" lift that's compatible with air ride - have you considered that kit?

Another thing I noticed was that you started with the bed rack at a height about level with the top of the cab, but then lowered it down a ways. Since I'm not handy enough to make my own like you did, I was looking at Nut House racks, since they have a design that accommodates Ramboxes, and they offer them in cab height, as well as lower - like where yours ended up. What made you settle on the lower height?

So many other great ideas in this thread to contemplate... please keep the updates coming!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mountain.Mike

53kemper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodland Hills California
Member #

Thank you for all the kind words DVC. I do have factory air ride and was considering the BDS 4” lift. Lately one of my bags has been deflating at night a then rein flates when i start the triuck. I tested for leaks and it seems the air is going back in the tanks so it maybe a bad valve. With that said I’m debating weather i should convert to a coil suspension. I had my front linkage pop off on some wash boards in Death Valley and the front suspension bottomed out. I was able to fix the issue but it was very nerve racking having to limp back to camp 20 miles in the dark.

I like the racks that you mentioned. At the time i couldn’t find one do i had to make my own. I lowered mine do to wind drag and noise. When you have your tent that high you can really feel th drag when highway driving. Good luck on your build. Looking forward to seti g it. If i can give you one piece of advice, buy rick sliders before you buy any other component for your truck. You’ll thank me later.

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

...I do have factory air ride and was considering the BDS 4” lift...

I like the racks that you mentioned. At the time i couldn’t find one do i had to make my own. I lowered mine do to wind drag and noise. When you have your tent that high you can really feel th drag when highway driving...

If i can give you one piece of advice, buy rick sliders before you buy any other component for your truck. You’ll thank me later.
Regarding aftermarket lift options for air ride equipped Rams...I spoke with someone at AEV yesterday and got some good intel...
Apparently they're only weeks away from releasing their 1500 4" DualSport SC suspension for air ride equipped vehicles. So soon we'll have an alternative to the BDS system... From what I understand, AEV took a little different approach than BDS, with light aluminum steering knuckles, and longer control arms to split the difference between more ground clearance for the diffs and retaining factory-like ride quality. Always good to have options!

Based on your experience, how much lower than the height of the cab do you think is ideal for rack height?

My Rebel came with the black tubular side steps... I know they're not rock sliders, but I was hoping to get away with them for the time being, and if they start to get banged up, then maybe switch to something stronger. Does that sound reasonable, or am I asking for trouble?

Reactions: Jimmy P

Titus

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fairfield California
Member #

Nice to see another NorCal ram on here. I like the mods you've made, and they're pretty similar to what I was thinking. You'll have to show me some trails in the Sierras some time.

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

So I decided to outfit my truck, 2013 Ram 1500 with Air suspension. First started with Iron Works bumpers. Very nice bumpers. Needed to cut out the existing ball hitch mount but other than that they bolted right up.
Man, looks like you have quite the truck! I think this shows me what i want mine to be like! Quick question for you! I have been unable to find the "iron Works" bumpers, do you remember where you bought them or where i could see them online to see if they meet what i need? Thanks for any information!