Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Joshua tree was nice. It was sunny and warm in the day so that was nice. Not much of a trail weekend as we went out to test the camping part of the vehicle. Got cold at night and wind was blowing pretty strong. I'm guessing in the next few weeks the weather will be perfect out there
We are originally from San Diego. Used to love going out to Anza Borrego in the early spring. The wild flowers are going to be amazing this year I bet with all the water you guys have gotten.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

So tell me this.....

Does your 2013 have the "Auto 4WD" button ? I notice all of the new Bighorns and Laramies have this "Borg Warner 44-44" transfer case. Some people love it, some people hate it.

You ?

roamingram44

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bowling green ky
Member #

Love the Ramboxes. They come in handy and hold quite a bit of stuff and auto luck when you lock the truck. Not sure I'll ever get a truck again without them.
I couldnt get the ramboxes because this truck also serves as a farm truck and i needed to be able to fit a quad back there but a buddy of mine uses them as a cooler when camping and they actually work good

Sent from my SM-G360P using OB Talk mobile app

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

So tell me this.....

Does your 2013 have the "Auto 4WD" button ? I notice all of the new Bighorns and Laramies have this "Borg Warner 44-44" transfer case. Some people love it, some people hate it.

You ?
My dad has it on his '13 Big Horn, he doesnt do any off roading but he loves it for pulling the boat out of the water and moving it around our dirt driveway

53kemper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodland Hills California
Member #

My dad has it on his '13 Big Horn, he doesnt do any off roading but he loves it for pulling the boat out of the water and moving it around our dirt driveway
So tell me this.....

You ?
Mine has the 4wd buttons. 8 Spreed transmission.

53kemper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodland Hills California
Member #

Great job! Your truck looks good. Its always nice when you can get a bunch done in a short time.

Just a word of caution though.....
You have 80 #'s of gas, and at least 80 #'s of tire hanging from a system that was designed to hold a couple 20 # bikes at best. The dynamic force of the load bouncing WILL generate 3-5 times that load(450# +). I worry about any of those welds tearing out of that thin gauge tube and you losing one of those gas bombs going down the highway. That could be really bad!
Just my .02 cents.

Whyoming you were right. Even after I strengthened the swing hitch it still failed this weekend. Some of the long passages in Death Valley shook the truck so much that eventually the welds started giving way. Luckily I didn't lose anything. Will be purchasing the Wilco swing hitch before the next trip.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Whyoming you were right. Even after I strengthened the swing hitch it still failed this weekend. Some of the long passages in Death Valley shook the truck so much that eventually the welds started giving way. Luckily I didn't lose anything. Will be purchasing the Wilco swing hitch before the next trip.
I am sorry that it didn't work out. But, I am really glad that you kept all of your gear.
Its some time surprising how much force can be created with a little bit of weight and leverage.

Reactions: jmduran3