Pikeville, Kentucky
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Pruitt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4JNQ
How is that Superflow air compressor holding up for you? A friend seems to have permanently "borrowed" the compressor I normally kept in my truck so I am looking for a replacement that isn't too nice to beat on and won't break the bank.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Time for another build update! I haven't been able to get out the last few weeks so it's a good time for an update. All of the parts for the front end rebuild have been bought and are taking up my entire kitchen table. @O.Dfj was gracious enough to offer a hand so the truck should be back in tip top condition by mid August. We will be replacing the wheel bearings, brake pads, tie rods, possibly new lower control arms and adjusting the coil overs for a little more ride height.

Once I have the funds I will be getting some Chassis Unlimited weld on sliders and possibly a Detroit Eaton Locker for the rear axle. I am still debating if I want to sell the truck (its just so nice not having a car payment) and get something else so I am not gunna go too overboard with mods for the time being.

I do have a few trips planned for the up coming months so be on the look out for the videos and if you are in the area as always you are more than welcome to join!

Oliver_Closov

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA
Member #

Nice to see the forum is back up and working! (knock on wood) I was able to go out and get some pictures. The height hasn't changed much from the Bilsteins, but I like a little rake so I left about an inch of difference between the front and back. I'm really looking forward to my camping trip the end of the week so I can really test the off-road performance of everything. I also removed the bottom air dam for better approach angles (ended up almost cutting the tip of my pinky off in the process).View attachment 2650 View attachment 2651 View attachment 2652 View attachment 2653 View attachment 2654 View attachment 2655 View attachment 2656 View attachment 2649
What do the Fox shocks get you over the Bils? Is the ride stiffer for off-road, or does it give you best of both worlds? I've read that the Bils give you stiffer ride compared to stock suspension, but I am wondering from someone who has now had both.
Mine is still a clean slate and I'm researching my best option to gain a little clearance but not make the wife hate the ride on-road (which I realize is not supposed to be what an off-roader concerns himself with, but it is my reality for this rig to pull double duty.
I've also considered ($$$) a BDS 4" suspension lift as a baseline then either the Fox or the Bilsteins.
Thanks,
Oliver

Oliver_Closov

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA
Member #

I don't need anything right now. I have a leveling kit for the front end on the shelf and I am going to get a 1 1/2" set of lift blocks for the rear because I want to keep the rear a little higher for when I'm loaded or towing. I am still undecided if I am going to go with 33's or 35's after the lift though. Once I get moved into my house next month I am going to start building rock sliders and additional skid plates for it.
Have you considered the TTC-1223V progressive rear springs that give a 1.5" lift? I've read they give a much better overall ride quality than blocks.

Oliver_Closov

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA
Member #

After realizing I really disliked the truck bed tent system I was using I got myself a Kodiak Canvas swag for my birthday! So far I can tell this is going to be far better. Set up is a fraction of the time, it roles up smaller, will be warmer and I wont have to lug everything out of the bed to set it up which is a huge selling point. I'm looking forward to having a free weekend to get out and try it out!
View attachment 18881
I'd love see a long term report from you on this tent. I have the Kodiak Flex-bow VX 10X10 canvas tent for base camps and friggin love it, but it ain't convenient for quick up and down daily travel.

Oliver_Closov

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA
Member #

Time for another build update! I haven't been able to get out the last few weeks so it's a good time for an update. All of the parts for the front end rebuild have been bought and are taking up my entire kitchen table. @O.Dfj was gracious enough to offer a hand so the truck should be back in tip top condition by mid August. We will be replacing the wheel bearings, brake pads, tie rods, possibly new lower control arms and adjusting the coil overs for a little more ride height.

Once I have the funds I will be getting some Chassis Unlimited weld on sliders and possibly a Detroit Eaton Locker for the rear axle. I am still debating if I want to sell the truck (its just so nice not having a car payment) and get something else so I am not gunna go too overboard with mods for the time being.

I do have a few trips planned for the up coming months so be on the look out for the videos and if you are in the area as always you are more than welcome to join!
I subscribed to your Youtube channel. Enjoying your content so far. Thanks.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

What do the Fox shocks get you over the Bils? Is the ride stiffer for off-road, or does it give you best of both worlds? I've read that the Bils give you stiffer ride compared to stock suspension, but I am wondering from someone who has now had both.
Mine is still a clean slate and I'm researching my best option to gain a little clearance but not make the wife hate the ride on-road (which I realize is not supposed to be what an off-roader concerns himself with, but it is my reality for this rig to pull double duty.
I've also considered ($$$) a BDS 4" suspension lift as a baseline then either the Fox or the Bilsteins.
Thanks,
Oliver
The Fox offer a much smoother ride on and off road, it really is the best of both worlds. They are progressive coilovers so the faster you go the smoother things get where the bils get rougher. The bils have a stiffer spring rate compared to the Fox and it also depends on what level you set the Bils to. The highest setting is going to be rougher than the lowest setting. I liked my bils and I think they are the best bang for the buck.

I'd love see a long term report from you on this tent. I have the Kodiak Flex-bow VX 10X10 canvas tent for base camps and friggin love it, but it ain't convenient for quick up and down daily travel.
I love my swag, I have spent about 10 nights in it now and its holding up great. I love the canvas because it doesn't shake in the wind and make a lot of noise. It also keeps heat in really well so it could definitely be a 4 season tent if you have a warm enough sleeping bag. The quality is great, everything is well stitched and the materials are top notch. I just wish it was a little bigger, being 6'4 its a snug fit for sure. My favorite thing is that it sets up in less than 5 minutes, it is awesome for when you're picking up and moving camp every day.

I subscribed to your Youtube channel. Enjoying your content so far. Thanks.
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy it

Oliver_Closov

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA
Member #

The Fox offer a much smoother ride on and off road, it really is the best of both worlds. They are progressive coilovers so the faster you go the smoother things get where the bils get rougher. The bils have a stiffer spring rate compared to the Fox and it also depends on what level you set the Bils to. The highest setting is going to be rougher than the lowest setting. I liked my bils and I think they are the best bang for the buck.

I love my swag, I have spent about 10 nights in it now and its holding up great. I love the canvas because it doesn't shake in the wind and make a lot of noise. It also keeps heat in really well so it could definitely be a 4 season tent if you have a warm enough sleeping bag. The quality is great, everything is well stitched and the materials are top notch. I just wish it was a little bigger, being 6'4 its a snug fit for sure. My favorite thing is that it sets up in less than 5 minutes, it is awesome for when you're picking up and moving camp every day.
Got it. So the Fox option will be more expensive, but, in your opinion, worth it.

Yeah, I'm 6'2" and the backpacking tent world is not made for us so I am very familiar with that struggle. I'm still considering getting a shell/cap and sacking out in the truck bed.

Last edited:

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Got it. So the Fox option will be more expensive, but, in your opinion, worth it.

Yeah, I'm 6'2" and the backpacking tent world is not made for us so I am very familiar with that struggle. I'm still considering getting a shell/cap and sacking out in the truck bed.
They are definitely worth it. I dont know where youre located in SoCal but up here we do a lot of desert running and they make a world of difference at speed. I would definitely like a shell with a sleeping platform but its so hard to find one used for an 08 QCSB .

Reactions: Oliver_Closov

Oliver_Closov

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA
Member #

They are definitely worth it. I dont know where youre located in SoCal but up here we do a lot of desert running and they make a world of difference at speed. I would definitely like a shell with a sleeping platform but its so hard to find one used for an 08 QCSB .
I imagine the wheelbase of a QCSB is a much more useful platform for off-roading than my CCRB though.
I'm in North L.A. Hi-Desert area about 7.5 hrs south of you. Similar scenery to yours - Mountains roads with trees, rocky washes, and washboard dirt roads.
Next time I'm coming up to go in circles on McCarran, I'll hit you up and maybe we can hit a quick ride somewhere.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

I imagine the wheelbase of a QCSB is a much more useful platform for off-roading than my CCRB though.
I'm in North L.A. Hi-Desert area about 7.5 hrs south of you. Similar scenery to yours - Mountains roads with trees, rocky washes, and washboard dirt roads.
Next time I'm coming up to go in circles on McCarran, I'll hit you up and maybe we can hit a quick ride somewhere.
Yea, it's still a trail limo for sure but its manageable, I couldn't imagine having the crew cab and doing the trails we have up here. Yea, definitely let me know and we can get the Reno crew together and go hit some dirt!

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Always remember to tighten your lug nuts! After replacing the tie rods I forgot to tighten the lugs all the way down and went for a little ride on my way back to return the tool from Napa. Thankfully @O.Dfj was 5 min away to bring me a big jack so we could lift the truck off the wheel and put it all back together on the side of the very busy road. I definitely got very lucky this time, nothing was damaged but the quarter panel which we had to persuade with a pry bar so I could open the drivers side door.

File Aug 21, 11 20 01 AM.jpeg File Aug 21, 11 20 25 AM.jpeg

Reactions: Mountain.Mike