Pikeville, Kentucky
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Pruitt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4JNQ
Always remember to tighten your lug nuts! After replacing the tie rods I forgot to tighten the lugs all the way down and went for a little ride on my way back to return the tool from Napa. Thankfully @O.Dfj was 5 min away to bring me a big jack so we could lift the truck off the wheel and put it all back together on the side of the very busy road. I definitely got very lucky this time, nothing was damaged but the quarter panel which we had to persuade with a pry bar so I could open the drivers side door.
Daaaaaaamn, that sucks. Did you end up adjusting the ride height on those fox coilovers?

Oliver_Closov

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA
Member #

Went and checked out Henness Pass from Truckee to Verdi today with @O.Dfj to try out the new camera. I gotta say this new camera blows the old one out of the water. Here are just the stills from the day, Ill probably have the video edited and up sometime tomorrow!

View attachment 32623 View attachment 32624 View attachment 32625 View attachment 32626 View attachment 32627 View attachment 32628 View attachment 32629 View attachment 32630 View attachment 32631
Nice! Is that Mercurochrome on the wound on your hand? Do they still make that?

Ironhail

Rank 0

Traveler I

So Cal
Love the blog thus far, unfortunately I'm deployed right now so I cannot watch you videos :( the internet we are lucky to have doesn't support streaming..

I have a '16 Ram 1500 RCRB sitting back in San Diego waiting for me. I have a few questions about upgrades and hindsight 20/20 what you wish you would've done etc...

Suspension - So I looked into purchasing AEV's 4'' 1500 suspension the designed for their "Recruit" build. I used to have a Jeep and had one of their suspension on the jeep, having previously being a happy customer I was exstatic seeing they also just developed a suspension for the 1500. However some research and talking to the reps it requires 20'' wheels right now. AEV is developing 18'' wheels that work with it but they are not out yet nor do I want to limit myself to 1 brand of wheels... They require 20x9x5.25 or 18x9x5.25 .... 5.25'' backspacing is HUGE! I cannot find any other wheels with that type of backspacing so it is really making me not want to purchase that suspension due to limited potential for parts etc... Main reason I and others despise huge rims like that is short sidewalls for airing down and rubbing on objects. Any thoughts?

What have you done for you suspension, I see you upgraded the shocks and replaced the UCA's. Is there anything you would have done otherwise hindsight 20/20? Check out the AEV suspension and let me know what you think.

Front bumper - have you ran into the need of having a fully armored front end as of yet?

Storage - since you have a CC internal storage is not a huge issue for you but I was wondering if you have run into any issues or desired to do anything about storage management in your bed. AKA tonneau cover, drawers etc..

I am sure I have a few more questions but I'll leave you with these.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

XXXTERRA

Rank 0

Contributor I

View attachment 3108 View attachment 3109View attachment 11029 View attachment 11030View attachment 12930

2008 Ram 1500 Big Horn Edition Overland Build
Current Modifications:
Suspension/Tires
- Fox Adjustable Coilovers
- Fox Monotube Shocks
- Zone Upper Control Arms
- Maxxlinks Sway Bar Ends
- 35x12.5x18 Cooper STT
- 18" Raceline Octane Rims

Interior
- Husky Floor Mats
- Ram Phone Mount

Exterior
- Blacked Out Bumpers and Grille
- 26" LED Light Bar
- Fanatik Smoked Headlights
- OPT7 LED Headlight and Fog Light Bulbs
- Tinted Tail Lights
- Tinted Windows

Armor:
- OEM Transfer Case Skid Plate
- OEM IFS Skid Plate
- G2 Aluminum Rear Differential Cover

Recovery:
- Smittybilt Receiver Hitch D-Ring
- Smittybilt Recovery Strap
- Superflow MV-50 Air Compressor

Comms:
- Midland 758-822 Handheld CB
- 3ft Firestik

Base Camp:
- Kodiak Canvas Swag
- Smittybilt Universal Awning
- Teton Hunter 0 Degree Sleeping Bag
Iv'e been following your YouTube channel. Sweet rig! Keep up the cool videos

Milo Mack

Rank 0

Traveler I

Definitely will take that into consideration. The 1500 come as diesels, I believe?
Hey Gnasher..
I have a ecodiesel bighorn and just itching to take it offroad more often..
I love the engine..I get 21 city and 27 highway....pulled a 29 foot travel trailer from Louisiana to nova scotia.. .. rides like a champ...
Only down side. I wish I could disconnect the nox. Control

Ok so you’re the guy I’m looking for....I currently have a 2003 Ram 1500 2WD and I am starting to get into this overlanding thing and want to see if you’d be willing to chat a little bit....like is it worth it to start modifying my truck even with it being a 2WD or should I look into getting something else with a 4x4, because I’m not really into going up and over gnarly terrain but I’m more interested in going faster on some more moderate trails if that makes any sense
Thank you! yea I love this color. Yours looks pretty beastly! I had a 03 before this and loved it, it was only 2wd but I had a locker in the rear and I could keep up with my buddies jeep. It was a tank it could take a beating and I never had any problems with it.View attachment 2323 View attachment 2324
k so you’re

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Ok so you’re the guy I’m looking for....I currently have a 2003 Ram 1500 2WD and I am starting to get into this overlanding thing and want to see if you’d be willing to chat a little bit....like is it worth it to start modifying my truck even with it being a 2WD or should I look into getting something else with a 4x4, because I’m not really into going up and over gnarly terrain but I’m more interested in going faster on some more moderate trails if that makes any sense
For sure! To answer your question, it really depends on how you modify it. It will never be as good as a 4x4 but if you put a locker/limited slip in, put a lift and good tires on, get a good bit of recovery gear and know how to pick your lines you shouldn't have too much trouble. The only time I wish I had had 4x4 was when I was in snow, seeing as you're in riverside that shouldn't be a problem. Have you modified it at all?

Reactions: kickkem

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Love the blog thus far, unfortunately I'm deployed right now so I cannot watch you videos :( the internet we are lucky to have doesn't support streaming..

I have a '16 Ram 1500 RCRB sitting back in San Diego waiting for me. I have a few questions about upgrades and hindsight 20/20 what you wish you would've done etc...

Suspension - So I looked into purchasing AEV's 4'' 1500 suspension the designed for their "Recruit" build. I used to have a Jeep and had one of their suspension on the jeep, having previously being a happy customer I was exstatic seeing they also just developed a suspension for the 1500. However some research and talking to the reps it requires 20'' wheels right now. AEV is developing 18'' wheels that work with it but they are not out yet nor do I want to limit myself to 1 brand of wheels... They require 20x9x5.25 or 18x9x5.25 .... 5.25'' backspacing is HUGE! I cannot find any other wheels with that type of backspacing so it is really making me not want to purchase that suspension due to limited potential for parts etc... Main reason I and others despise huge rims like that is short sidewalls for airing down and rubbing on objects. Any thoughts?

What have you done for you suspension, I see you upgraded the shocks and replaced the UCA's. Is there anything you would have done otherwise hindsight 20/20? Check out the AEV suspension and let me know what you think.

Front bumper - have you ran into the need of having a fully armored front end as of yet?

Storage - since you have a CC internal storage is not a huge issue for you but I was wondering if you have run into any issues or desired to do anything about storage management in your bed. AKA tonneau cover, drawers etc..

I am sure I have a few more questions but I'll leave you with these.

Thanks in advance!
Hey Ironhail, sorry for the very late reply but I haven't been on in a long time!

First of all, thank you for your service and I hope you stay safe.

For the AEV kit - I have heard great things about their products and think they make some quality stuff. From what I can gather, it looks like you're looking at the 4" Dual Sport Kit? If so it looks like a pretty damn good kit. I like that it doesn't rely on the OEM struts and you get the Bilsteins. I loved the ride of my old Bilsteins.

For the Wheels - It does suck that you have to run a larger wheel to fit around the spindle/steering knuckle. This was a big reason why I didnt go with a legit lift kit like that. I wanted to be able to run a smaller wheel so I could have more sidewall on the tire.

For my suspension - I did the Fox coilovers in the front and cranked them to level the truck, I have the Fox Monotube shocks in the rear at factory height. Eventually I do want to go higher, I am thinking of doing a 1.5 inch body lift just to get a little more clearance. I put on the Zone UCA's because I have had ball joint problems before from the previous owners modifications but haven't had any issues with them for the last almost 2 years. Rams are notorious for having ball joint issues once the suspension is taken out of stock geometry (if you do the AEV kit you'll be fine because of the diff drop kit).

Front bumper - I flip back and forth on this, I would like to have an aftermarket bumper so I can mount a winch easier, however the ones that are offered for my generation are either super ugly or they are way too expensive. I rarely hit my bumper and when I do its not enough to dent or damage it so I haven't made it a priority.

Storage - Yea, having the QC is really nice, I usually put my more valuable stuff and things I don't want dirty in the cab (guns, sleeping bag, camera gear). However, I do wish I had a Tonneau cover because when I am in town it would be nice to be able to secure my stuff. A camper shell would also be nice for storage/sleeping platform.

Hope that helps, If you have more questions feel free to ask!

Yeah we don’t get much snow down here haha....but as far as suspension and stuff like that I haven’t done any mods, I’ve only done performance such as cold air intake, headers, exhaust, and super chip

Yeah we don’t get much snow down here haha....but as far as suspension and stuff like that I haven’t done any mods, I’ve only done performance such as cold air intake, headers, exhaust, and super chip

ChrisSmash

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle, WA
Member #

Hey Truckerbizz!

I actually joined overlandbound because I found your rig on these forums here!-- since we have the same truck. (And lots of cool knowledge to be found on here....)

I am planning to modify mine finally after riding it around stock for the last 5 years.

What were your thoughts on the Bilstein 5100 series struts vs the Fox coilovers you have now? I assume you would choose the Fox if you had to start over again? I am having difficulty finding a site which lists the fox coilovers for sale on a 08 ram 1500--- which seems to be the case for a lot of aftermarket goodies on this truck.

Keep up the cool videos!

-Chris

Reactions: Mountain.Mike