Ram 1500 Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Love what you are doing to you truck. I have an '07 Ram Quad Cab that I picked up in January and I am looking forward to building it. It will be my first full size build, my last was a Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ on 6.5" lift.
Nice! I have some extra parts if you want to pick them up for cheap! These full size trucks are fun to modify, although I am having a hard time finding the parts I want for the 06-08s, everything seems to be for the 02-05 or the 09-current years.

2003jeepoverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Haslet, Texas
Member #

I don't need anything right now. I have a leveling kit for the front end on the shelf and I am going to get a 1 1/2" set of lift blocks for the rear because I want to keep the rear a little higher for when I'm loaded or towing. I am still undecided if I am going to go with 33's or 35's after the lift though. Once I get moved into my house next month I am going to start building rock sliders and additional skid plates for it.

Reactions: Oliver_Closov

Conrad318

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Aftermarket parts seems to be difficult for all Ram 1500's. One thing I have wanted for some time was a locker in the rear but no one makes them for the new corporate 235 rear axle. The new Corporate 235 and the Chrysler 9.25 seems to be the same so I plan to try a 9.25 locker on my 2014 ram. Both bumpers on my truck were custom built and hopefully soon I will build some custom skid plates.20151211_153746.jpg

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

That is beautiful, most of the parts I find are for 09+ which is super frustrating. I want to eventually put a locker in the rear too, but that's not happening anytime soon

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

I wanted to get a different nav set up so I found a first gen nexus 7 on eBay for $25 dollars so I bought it and a cd mount to use as my nav/music player because I didn't want to use my phone. It all came in today and works perfectly! (And yes that is my emblem still in the wrapper. I'm still debating where I want to place it)

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Reactions: Raul B

2003jeepoverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Haslet, Texas
Member #

Price for the tablet was great but other than cost, why did you choose the Nexus 7? I am looking into doing the same thing and can't decide what route to take.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Honestly if it didn't come down to price, I would have gotten an apple product. I am a total apple fanboy and much prefer their operating system to Android. But I have heard great things about the Nexus. A lot of wifi only tablets don't have the GPS Chip, I have a kindle HDX which doesn't so that's why I bought another tablet. I didn't want to get a data plan for a tablet so from my quick research a lot of people recommended the nexus for the offline GPS. So far I am beyond happy with how its performing.

Conrad318

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Magellan now has the explorist trx7 that comes loaded with 40,000 offroad trails. The only problem is its about $400 but the system allows for people to record new trails to expand the data base.

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

Where did you find it for 400?? I've only seen it for like 650. Thing is pretty sweet!! But am old fish finder works about the same just need the map data

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2003jeepoverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Haslet, Texas
Member #

Nice to see the forum is back up and working! (knock on wood) I was able to go out and get some pictures. The height hasn't changed much from the Bilsteins, but I like a little rake so I left about an inch of difference between the front and back. I'm really looking forward to my camping trip the end of the week so I can really test the off-road performance of everything. I also removed the bottom air dam for better approach angles (ended up almost cutting the tip of my pinky off in the process).View attachment 2650 View attachment 2651 View attachment 2652 View attachment 2653 View attachment 2654 View attachment 2655 View attachment 2656 View attachment 2649
How are you liking the Cooper STT tires? I'm looking at the Cooper MTP 315/70 17 for my truck in the next few weeks.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

I have been really impressed with them. I have had them for a little over 10k miles and they still have a ton tread on them. They have done great in everything except packed down snow but that's a given with any MT tire. I live in WA and they have done amazing in the rain, I have never hydroplaned with them and it is hard to break traction with them, I really have to give it the onion for them to slide. I would definitely get another set, but they no longer make them. My fiance has the Cooper AT3 on her truck and she and I both love them. They are a great AT tire, my only complaint is they don't look very beefy like the AT KO2's do. I am definitely going to look into Cooper again when the time comes for another set. I have never seen the MTPs before, They look like the Mickey Thompson mixed with Duratracs and the STT PROs. pretty good looking tire. I'm sure you will like them if you get them.

Reactions: 2003jeepoverland

2003jeepoverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Haslet, Texas
Member #

The 35's fit diameter wise with no issues. I haven't had time to install my leveling kit yet, so that was a concern. The problem I did have though was the width on the front tires. I still have a good contact pattern on the stock wheels, but they are too wide to clear the control arms. I found that out the hard way and with less than 50 miles on the tires I am replacing the fronts dues to cut inner side walls. So the tire shop installed a pair of narrower 33's on the front for loaners until Monday. On Saturday I went and bought a set of 1 1/2" wheel spacers for the truck to get plenty of clearance on the control arms. The truck looks great with 35's now

Reactions: kickkem

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Nice! I love the look of a level with 35s. The whole backspacing thing is such a pain. When I got my truck the previous owner did the same thing. they put 33x12.5 on a stock offset/backspacing and it rubbed so they put a 1/4 inch spacer in to push the wheel out. I ended up buying new rims with a larger backspace/offset so I don't have to run spacers.

2003jeepoverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Haslet, Texas
Member #

I ran 1 1/2" spacers on my Jeep that I used to have and had good luck with them. I might eventually buy a new set of wheels, but I don't want to have to worry about scratching up a new set of wheels when I am out wheeling. So, fr the time being I am going to just run the spacers. The kind I got is the bolt on kind so I'm not worried at all on them.