Radio mounting

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

How do you have your radio mounted? Tell us about your installation.

I purchased an ICOM IC-V8000 2M radio used because it was what I could afford and most the repeaters here are on the 2M bands. Also, it has a front-facing speaker and cooling fan, which was something I wanted since it will go up to 75W and will be used in the desert. I also found this model ICOM is a mil-spec level of construction, so it should hold up well to shocks and vibration. The seller also threw in a rather nice whip antenna that mounted up easily to the hood. All in all, I think it was a pretty good score for $120.

I first ran power right from the battery through the firewall and into the center stack. I purchased a second coin tray from a guy online and cut it up/drilled holes in it to mount the radio (the original tray is unaltered and in the garage). I did have to cut some slots in the dash plastic under the tray to run the antenna and power cables, but those cuts would be completely hidden by the unmodded tray if it is ever reinstalled.

This worked great until summer, when the sun started to cause the radio to heat up faster than I would have liked. I made a paper template for a sun shade and then made a prototype out of Kydex. That lasted for a while until the Kydex melted in the heat, but it was a good proof-of-concept. Next, I got some aluminum scrap and had it cut and bent to shape. I painted it in textured Rustoleum that was almost the exact color of the dash and mounted it over the radio.

The mic has a patch of heavy duty velcro on the back and it hangs on a large velcro patch on the dashboard. I don't have to fumble around with getting it back in a hanger, I just slap it up there any which way so I can get back to watching the road.

I also have a Cobra CB, a 75 WB ST Remote Mount that hangs down by my right knee, since lots of people don't have their ham ticket in my usual group.

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

In my wj I chose to go with a compact midland. Pretty basic setup

Added the antenna to the back hatch area. Don't member the specific bracket, but it's an L bracket deal with a pivot on it I liked It better then what most other wj owners do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Reactions: awolfnspirit

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I need to get my CB mounted in my WJ, just can't decide where I want to put it.

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

This was the best place for me just cause I wanted a clean install. So it's out of the way and the cubby is still useable. And the lid will close with the mic still attached too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I kept it simple. Heat was an issue this last summer. I usually just switched the AC to the defroster and let it cool the radio down before I powered it up. I will probably get a windshield shade for this next year.

upload_2015-12-12_16-56-35.png
upload_2015-12-12_16-56-4.png
upload_2015-12-12_16-57-58.png
upload_2015-12-12_16-58-24.png
upload_2015-12-12_16-59-10.png
upload_2015-12-12_16-59-29.png

Last edited:

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
How do you have your radio mounted? Tell us about your installation.

I purchased an ICOM IC-V8000 2M radio used because it was what I could afford and most the repeaters here are on the 2M bands. Also, it has a front-facing speaker and cooling fan, which was something I wanted since it will go up to 75W and will be used in the desert. I also found this model ICOM is a mil-spec level of construction, so it should hold up well to shocks and vibration. The seller also threw in a rather nice whip antenna that mounted up easily to the hood. All in all, I think it was a pretty good score for $120.

I first ran power right from the battery through the firewall and into the center stack. I purchased a second coin tray from a guy online and cut it up/drilled holes in it to mount the radio (the original tray is unaltered and in the garage). I did have to cut some slots in the dash plastic under the tray to run the antenna and power cables, but those cuts would be completely hidden by the unmodded tray if it is ever reinstalled.

This worked great until summer, when the sun started to cause the radio to heat up faster than I would have liked. I made a paper template for a sun shade and then made a prototype out of Kydex. That lasted for a while until the Kydex melted in the heat, but it was a good proof-of-concept. Next, I got some aluminum scrap and had it cut and bent to shape. I painted it in textured Rustoleum that was almost the exact color of the dash and mounted it over the radio.

The mic has a patch of heavy duty velcro on the back and it hangs on a large velcro patch on the dashboard. I don't have to fumble around with getting it back in a hanger, I just slap it up there any which way so I can get back to watching the road.

I also have a Cobra CB, a 75 WB ST Remote Mount that hangs down by my right knee, since lots of people don't have their ham ticket in my usual group.
Nice. Super clean set up.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Installed a CB and Yaesu FT-2900r (best I could afford right now, I want a quad band...someday) on the shelf. The antennas are on the roof rack. 1/2 wave for the 2-meter, 5/8th wave for the CB and the "big" antenna (trucker antenna) for the Wilson cell phone repeater. Wilson and HAM on the driver's side CB on passenger side (hard to see in the photos. I welded tabs on the rack for the mounts.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

Mounted my Yaesu FT-2900 and speaker on a plexi sheet under the drivers seat, remote face and mic fit perfect in the Tacoma console.

Fender mounted NMO Larson, plus you can see the CB pole on the lightbar up front, Cobra 75wxst is under the passenger seat..

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Mounted my Yaesu FT-2900 and speaker on a plexi sheet under the drivers seat, remote face and mic fit perfect in the Tacoma console.

I really like the placement of your radio, looks like a very clean install!

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

For the antenna, I used a mount fabricated by CBI Offroad, and a 4' Firestik... 20151108_133321-1.jpg
The head unit is a simple Uniden radio
20151230_191943.jpg

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Ok, where do I begin....

Power:
  • 4AWG from both the power and ground terminals of the battery, to under the center console next to the shifter.
  • Dual copper distro blocks, taking 4AWG to four smaller outputs.
  • 100A fuse on both power and ground 4" or so from the battery

Radios:
  • Kenwood TM-D700 (VHF/UHF)
    • Control Head mounted below factory stereo, above the HVAC controls
    • Microphone mounted to the right on the dash.
    • Radio hanging from the bottom of the passenger's seat.
    • Remote Speakers, both under the center console.
Photo taken before I cleaned up the wiring

• Kenwood TS-480SAT (HF)
    • Control Head Mounted in front of the arm rest, behind the shifter
    • Radio mounted under the driver's seat.
    • Remote Speaker built into the back of the control head
    • Mic to the right of driver's knee
Seat removed in this picture

• Anytone SmartCB (Citizens Band)
    • Mounted in the Key/Change pocket to the right of the steering column.
This is for a size scale on this radio

Here's the driver's view

Antennas:
  • Comet SBB-2 -- APRS transmitter
  • Diamond SG-7700 -- Kenwood TM-D700
  • Wolf River Coils Silver Bullet 1000 -- Kenwood TS-480Sat
  • 2' Firestick-II CB Antenna -- Anytone Smart CB

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Ok, where do I begin....

Power:
  • 4AWG from both the power and ground terminals of the battery, to under the center console next to the shifter.
  • Dual copper distro blocks, taking 4AWG to four smaller outputs.
  • 100A fuse on both power and ground 4" or so from the battery

Radios:
  • Kenwood TM-D700 (VHF/UHF)
    • Control Head mounted below factory stereo, above the HVAC controls
    • Microphone mounted to the right on the dash.
    • Radio hanging from the bottom of the passenger's seat.
    • Remote Speakers, both under the center console.
Photo taken before I cleaned up the wiring

• Kenwood TS-480SAT (HF)
    • Control Head Mounted in front of the arm rest, behind the shifter
    • Radio mounted under the driver's seat.
    • Remote Speaker built into the back of the control head
    • Mic to the right of driver's knee
Seat removed in this picture

• Anytone SmartCB (Citizens Band)
    • Mounted in the Key/Change pocket to the right of the steering column.
This is for a size scale on this radio

Here's the driver's view

Antennas:
  • Comet SBB-2 -- APRS transmitter
  • Diamond SG-7700 -- Kenwood TM-D700
  • Wolf River Coils Silver Bullet 1000 -- Kenwood TS-480Sat
  • 2' Firestick-II CB Antenna -- Anytone Smart CB
Very nice!

Reactions: Roger and Lars

Dillon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AJ8J
I have a Yaesu FT-8800 mounted under the dash with the remote head attached to the center console.

One of the speakers is for the Yaesu and the second is for the Cobra CB.

The CB antenna is mounted to the left fender and the ham antenna is mounted to the center of the roof just behind the roof box.

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

On my Jku I installed a Uniden pro 510xl on the driver side of the gear selector. Since it's a compact unit it fits really nice. Then I mounted the mic just behind the windshield washer switch on the dash. Really easy to reach. I did a lot of research on mounts and found a mount by CoolTech. It is an antenna mount on the license plate. Puts the antenna in the open. I love the location and I get a decent swr about 1.5:1-1.7:1.

Antenna wise I started with a firestik firefly 4' which is now my trail antenna since it is so flexible. I wanted to try other antennas out and see what was the best. I really wanted a stout antenna for highway use. So I ran out and got a Wilson fiberglass 4' and couldn't get it tuned well and wasn't receiving the best. Definitely wasn't reaching out either. So ran back to the truck stop and got a K40 fiberglass 4' and that thing tuned in great, crisp reception, and got out pretty good.

Recently did a night run and forgot to switch antennas. That K40 got beat to death on trees and my hard top. Didn't even flinch. Held up great! Mount stayed intact and never loosened up either. Very happy with my setup!

Here it is with the K40 after the night run.

Different angle but this is with the firestik.

Last edited:
E

expeditionnorth

I run an IC706MKIIG remote mounted & this is the only part on my lower dash

comet sbb5 for vhf/uhf & 12.5 foot whip on back for HF from 6M - 60M, an LDG AT7000 autotuner takes care of the rest thats hidden too