Radio mounting

• HTML tutorial

stormtrooper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

British Columbia
Member #

Mine are kenwood 512 channel vhfs. One is analog and the other is digital. I have both split mounted on the side of my center console. The bodies of the radios are under my seats and one has a remote mic mount. Antennas are fender mounted. 1 w/b coil and 1 is a 1/4 wave cut to my main freqs I run. Not much CB use where I'm from. But it'd be nice to maybe get that in the future for short distance Comms. All your guys installs look great!ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1467760930.845814.jpgImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1467760975.952005.jpg

Roger

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

SW Ohio
Member #

I'm operating a ICOM 2720 dual band with a separation cable. The control head is mounted via a cup holder with the main body under the rear seat of my '08 GMC Envoy.
Eventually I'm going to switch out the Icom with my Yeasu ft857d all band all mode.

Mr.FrankLopez

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA
Member #

On my Jku I installed a Uniden pro 510xl on the driver side of the gear selector. Since it's a compact unit it fits really nice. Then I mounted the mic just behind the windshield washer switch on the dash. Really easy to reach. I did a lot of research on mounts and found a mount by CoolTech. It is an antenna mount on the license plate. Puts the antenna in the open. I love the location and I get a decent swr about 1.5:1-1.7:1.

Antenna wise I started with a firestik firefly 4' which is now my trail antenna since it is so flexible. I wanted to try other antennas out and see what was the best. I really wanted a stout antenna for highway use. So I ran out and got a Wilson fiberglass 4' and couldn't get it tuned well and wasn't receiving the best. Definitely wasn't reaching out either. So ran back to the truck stop and got a K40 fiberglass 4' and that thing tuned in great, crisp reception, and got out pretty good.

Recently did a night run and forgot to switch antennas. That K40 got beat to death on trees and my hard top. Didn't even flinch. Held up great! Mount stayed intact and never loosened up either. Very happy with my setup!

Here it is with the K40 after the night run.

Different angle but this is with the firestik.

thinking of using same cooltech antenna mount paired with the Coba 75wxst.

Reactions: Roger

stormtrooper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

British Columbia
Member #

Bit of a repost here...All great setups guys! I run my radios with split mounts so only the face takes up some real estate and the bodies of the radios sit under my seats. I also have my portable charger in the console but I will be moving it soon to a more permanent location. ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1469678942.816806.jpgImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1469678954.756141.jpgImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1469678965.594143.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: awolfnspirit

TN_4Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southside, TN, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Bud
Member #

Costco has these right now for $39.95 (package of two).

View attachment 7881

View attachment 7882

View attachment 7885

How do you like the Midland 75-822? I ordered it through Amazon yesterday and like that it's small and portable. What antenna are you using? I'm new to the CB radio world and am trying to see what else I will need to set it up on my rig. I was thinking of a Firestik antenna...whats your take on that? Thanks in advance!

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
How do you like the Midland 75-822? I ordered it through Amazon yesterday and like that it's small and portable. What antenna are you using? I'm new to the CB radio world and am trying to see what else I will need to set it up on my rig. I was thinking of a Firestik antenna...whats your take on that? Thanks in advance!
The radio is awesome. I don't count on CB for anything further than a couple hundred yards, so the antenna doesn't really matter much. I just ordered the magnetic one that Amazon said people ordered with it. True radio guys will have a lot to say about wave length and SWRs, but I don't know that much about it. I have a 1/4 wave (102") whip mounted on my tire swing-out, but I only use it for flags (required in some OHV areas).

TN_4Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southside, TN, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Bud
Member #

The radio is awesome. I don't count on CB for anything further than a couple hundred yards, so the antenna doesn't really matter much. I just ordered the magnetic one that Amazon said people ordered with it. True radio guys will have a lot to say about wave length and SWRs, but I don't know that much about it. I have a 1/4 wave (102") whip mounted on my tire swing-out, but I only use it for flags (required in some OHV areas).
Yeah I'm primarily using it for group events and then in case of emergency. I just picked up the Wilson ''Lil Wil'' 300 watt antenna it was pretty cheap so I'll see what I get for my $$$. I'm glad someone else has it and likes it.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Yeah I'm primarily using it for group events and then in case of emergency. I just picked up the Wilson ''Lil Wil'' 300 watt antenna it was pretty cheap so I'll see what I get for my $$$. I'm glad someone else has it and likes it.
I've found CB to not be reliable in emergencies (unless you have a 300 watt linear ;-). I went with an InReach Explorer.

Reactions: TN_4Runner

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Nice. What unit is this? How do you like it?
Sorry for the slow response...

It's a Yaesu VX-170, and I have used it for a while and it works for me, I like it. Wish i would have bought a programmer for it but besides that it is a good radio and easy to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: awolfnspirit