San Tan Valley, AZ
First Name
benjamin
Last Name
knauss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ISS
1. So I bought a shiny new 2020 Gladiator, I went with a Rubicon off the lot. I got it in my preferred color (Gator Green) and with most of the options I wanted:

Leather Seats
Class IV trailer tow package
Cold Weather Package
LED Lighting Group
8.4 inch Radio
Active Safety Group
Hard Top Headliner
All-Weather Slush Mats
8-speed automatic
Proximity keyless entry
BedLiner
Forward-Facing Trailcam

which ended up being $58k.

To this I added the gear I already had from my last rig:

Recover Straps
Bubba Rope
Airdown kit
Tire Repair Kit
HighLift Jack
STOMP Medical Kit
RTIC 65L Cooler

This is it before the build:
raczilla_1.jpeg

2. The very first change was to get off those ugly dealer tires and onto some serious tires... 37's fit perfectly with no mods, and even fit in the spare tire hoist.

I went with Cooper Tire Discoverer STT Pro All-Season 37X12.50R17LT, which seems to be a nice compromise between cost and function, they are solid tires but they wont break the bank.

cooper_tire.png

3. Next was a Tazer JL Mini to enable the hood alarm, disable the seat belt beeper, and enable the Aux Switch group, which was then installed...

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 3.40.21 PM.png

4. Then the Mopar AUX switch kit, which was the only option I could not find on the dealer lot, find someone to do this for you, its way too much trouble to do yourself:

raczilla_2.jpeg

5. Then I added some light, it was important to me to add lights without blocking my ability to add a snorkel, so I went with the hood mount:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/zroadz/...246Ado3i8hpxdVN7zOMy6OQqJJdMN3gAaAhGQEALw_wcB

(yes, dirty, the way god intended)

raczilla_3.jpeg

6. to that I added two antennae, both mounted on Topsy Products NMO brackets, the first a Quad-band HAM antenna by DX Engineering, the second
a Midland GMRS antenna.

raczilla_4.jpegraczilla_5.jpeg

7. Next I added a Rove R2 4k dashcam, which is both good for trail recording, and mall crawling:

8. I didn't want to eat up vital bed space, so I added a Hooke Road Roof Rack:
raczilla_7.jpeg

9. Next, and this is a requirement for any overland build... I added a Peregrine 180 awning:

(this is oddly the only thing I don't have a picture of)

raczilla_81.png

10. With the canopy, getting to stuff in the bed was a total pain so next, I added a CargoGlide 1000:

raczilla_9.jpeg

11. A DV8 Fire Extinguisher mount and some traction boards:

12. No jeep build should be complete without a really good, warm, wool blanket in the back seat:

raczilla_10.jpeg

13. Got the hood blacked out, really improves the look and of course... I'm less blind heading east or west now.

raczilla_11.jpeg

14. Added onboard air today, specifically VIAIR Constant Duty Onboard Air System:

I hid the air tank under the bed, and put chucks on both the front and rear bumpers.

raczilla_12.jpeg

15. Also added bed rail mount for high lift jack:

raczilla_13.jpeg

16. Added new stubby bumper and winch

Quadratec QRC Front Winch Ready Bumper for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT

X-BULL 12V Synthetic Rope Winch-13000 lb. Load Capacity

raczilla_14.jpeg

17. Added some more light to the front bumper:

raczilla_15.jpeg

18. Added the Mountain Hatch Tailgate Insert:

its a big cutting board that also serves to level out the otherwise mountainous surface of the tailgate, which makes setting your coffee down much easier.

https://truckbrigade.com/products/m...tm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping

raczilla_16.jpeg

19: Added the RAM mount rail solution, as well as the SpotX Emergency Satelite Communicator:

raczilla_18.jpeg

20: Purchased, but have yet to receive, the RLD Designs Jeep Canopy, along with Kitchen Cabinet and Rhino Box Rails:

which will replace the Addictive Desert Designs rack I originally started with (dont recommend it).

21: Bought 5 Rhino Boxes, and split my gear up into Tools, Camping, Kitchen, Medical/utility, and Recovery Boxes.

22: Yet to come.

Attachments

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
1. So I bought a shiny new 2020 Gladiator, I went with a Rubicon off the lot. I got it in my preferred color (Gator Green) and with most of the options I wanted:

Leather Seats
Class IV trailer tow package
Cold Weather Package
LED Lighting Group
8.4 inch Radio
Active Safety Group
Hard Top Headliner
All-Weather Slush Mats
8-speed automatic
Proximity keyless entry
BedLiner
Forward-Facing Trailcam

which ended up being $58k.

To this I added the gear I already had from my last rig:

Recover Straps
Bubba Rope
Airdown kit
Tire Repair Kit
HighLift Jack
STOMP Medical Kit
RTIC 65L Cooler

This is it before the build:
View attachment 173836

2. The very first change was to get off those ugly dealer tires and onto some serious tires... 37's fit perfectly with no mods, and even fit in the spare tire hoist.

I went with Cooper Tire Discoverer STT Pro All-Season 37X12.50R17LT, which seems to be a nice compromise between cost and function, they are solid tires but they wont break the bank.

View attachment 173837

3. Next was a Tazer JL Mini to enable the hood alarm, disable the seat belt beeper, and enable the Aux Switch group, which was then installed...

View attachment 173838

4. Then the Mopar AUX switch kit, which was the only option I could not find on the dealer lot, find someone to do this for you, its way too much trouble to do yourself:

View attachment 173839

5. Then I added some light, it was important to me to add lights without blocking my ability to add a snorkel, so I went with the hood mount:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/zroadz/...246Ado3i8hpxdVN7zOMy6OQqJJdMN3gAaAhGQEALw_wcB

(yes, dirty, the way god intended)

View attachment 173840

6. to that I added two antennae, both mounted on Topsy Products NMO brackets, the first a Quad-band HAM antenna by DX Engineering, the second
a Midland GMRS antenna.

View attachment 173841View attachment 173842

7. Next I added a Rove R2 4k dashcam, which is both good for trail recording, and mall crawling:

8. I didn't want to eat up vital bed space, so I added a Hooke Road Roof Rack:
View attachment 173844

9. Next, and this is a requirement for any overland build... I added a Peregrine 180 awning:

(this is oddly the only thing I don't have a picture of)

View attachment 173845

10. With the canopy, getting to stuff in the bed was a total pain so next, I added a CargoGlide 1000:

View attachment 173846

11. A DV8 Fire Extinguisher mount and some traction boards:

12. No jeep build should be complete without a really good, warm, wool blanket in the back seat:

View attachment 173847

13. Got the hood blacked out, really improves the look and of course... I'm less blind heading east or west now.

View attachment 173848

14. Added onboard air today, specifically VIAIR Constant Duty Onboard Air System:

I hid the air tank under the bed, and put chucks on both the front and rear bumpers.

View attachment 173849

15. Also added bed rail mount for high lift jack:

View attachment 173850

16. Added new stubby bumper and winch

Quadratec QRC Front Winch Ready Bumper for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT

X-BULL 12V Synthetic Rope Winch-13000 lb. Load Capacity

View attachment 173851

17. Added some more light to the front bumper:

View attachment 173852

18. Added the Mountain Hatch Tailgate Insert:

its a big cutting board that also serves to level out the otherwise mountainous surface of the tailgate, which makes setting your coffee down much easier.

https://truckbrigade.com/products/m...tm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping

View attachment 173853

19: Added the RAM mount rail solution, as well as the SpotX Emergency Satelite Communicator:

View attachment 173854

20: Purchased, but have yet to receive, the RLD Designs Jeep Canopy, along with Kitchen Cabinet and Rhino Box Rails:

which will replace the Addictive Desert Designs rack I originally started with (dont recommend it).

21: Bought 5 Rhino Boxes, and split my gear up into Tools, Camping, Kitchen, Medical/utility, and Recovery Boxes.

22: Yet to come.
Sweet looking Gladiator. I've run Cooper STT on my YJ for the last 15 years or so. Great tire for the price. Very quiet on the road, and they wear really good. That roof rack is all kinds of cool. Digging the build so far.

SGpdx

Rank III

Contributor III

Oregon
How do you like that RAM mount rail system? It doesn't rattle or interfere with visibility? Looking for something similar.

john luevano

Rank I

Contributor I

el paso texas
First Name
John
Last Name
Luevano
Member #

Just purchased a 2020 gladiator as well. That’s the direction I want to head with it as well. Nice build by the way.

Attachments

rracterr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
First Name
benjamin
Last Name
knauss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ISS
How do you like that RAM mount rail system? It doesn't rattle or interfere with visibility? Looking for something similar.
I had a vector offroad 'Action Bar' for along time, I prefer the RAM mount system way better, much firmer, much lower profile. Does not rattle at all.

Reactions: SGpdx

rracterr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
First Name
benjamin
Last Name
knauss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ISS
23. Added an RLD Designs Canopy ( (2020+) Jeep Gladiator Cap/Canopy | RLD Design USA )

The primary reason I went with this canopy is that it is strong, I mean really strong, put 1000lbs on the roof strong (700lbs dynamic weight), and has several really awesome integrated accessories you can add like load bars, kitchen, and elevated storage. Also awesome is the positive pressure vent at the front, meaning most dust never gets a chance to get inside.
IMG_3630.jpeg
IMG_3647.jpeg

I ordered the Kitchen module shown here, but due to some issues I'm still awaiting delivery, but its going to rock...

IMG_3633.jpeg

rracterr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
First Name
benjamin
Last Name
knauss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ISS
25. No build is complete without a first-class trail buddy system, I went with new design wirehaired pointing griffon, yes I know it does not have the history that something more traditional like a chocolate lab, but its lighter, arguably smarter, and handles even the longest trails with ease.

IMG_3641.jpeg
IMG_3645.jpeg

Reactions: Alex Brame

rracterr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
First Name
benjamin
Last Name
knauss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ISS
26. Added a Darche roof top tent from Africa. (Picture from installation, it’s further back now)

I have it opening to the passenger side, because I have the canopy on the drivers side.

DCE77309-8C1A-45EE-AB36-ECB570580E4F.jpeg

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I see that you took off the roof rack. What are your experiences with it? I like the price of it and was thinking about buying the same.

Is it easy to remove in case one wants to open the panels for an open air feeling?