R-pod Full Time Living

• HTML tutorial

jdxplor

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Prather, CA
Member #

Thank you for the tip...I'm hoping to purchase the 171 (HRE) in late 2017 or early 2018. I'll post an update at that time.

Reactions: Momo

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
20170708_085614_edited.jpg 20170621_133448_edited.jpg

I bought a Star Craft Satellite 17RB with the extreme package. This is a well equipped trailer with dry bath, kitchen, queen bed, small dinette, furnace, AC, fridge, water heater, etc. Good for a couple, or single person like myself. Gross weight is around 3900 lbs. which my 2015 Canyon can handle well. The extreme package includes a 5" lift, 15" Mud Terrain tires, and a sealed bottom for cold weather. So far most of my trips with it have been mostly on pavement ( about 2500 miles ) with a few off road boondocking via. gravel roads. I found most of my overlanding travel involves a large percentage of miles being on pavement. I look forward to taking it on a real overland trip. I have done the 150 mile Mojave Road (without trailer), and, feel that I would have little trouble pulling this trailer on that route.

jdxplor

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Prather, CA
Member #

Looks like a very nice combination (tow vehicle and trailer) I was initially considering the R-pod. However, I'm now leaning toward the Jayco Hummingbird 17RB (Baja Edition). I believe it is identical in layout to your Satellite. I did a walkthrough recently at a local rv dealer and liked the overall size and features. I'm still six months or more away from making a purchase and will look forward to your future posts on traveling with the Satellite - any issues you may encounter or modifications you make. Also, what is the wheelbase of your Canyon? My 4runner is 110 in., which is the reason I want to keep the length of the trailer under 20 ft. Best wishes and safe travels.

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
Looks like a very nice combination (tow vehicle and trailer) I was initially considering the R-pod. However, I'm now leaning toward the Jayco Hummingbird 17RB (Baja Edition). I believe it is identical in layout to your Satellite. I did a walkthrough recently at a local rv dealer and liked the overall size and features. I'm still six months or more away from making a purchase and will look forward to your future posts on traveling with the Satellite - any issues you may encounter or modifications you make. Also, what is the wheelbase of your Canyon? My 4runner is 110 in., which is the reason I want to keep the length of the trailer under 20 ft. Best wishes and safe travels.
Wheelbase on the Canyon is 127 inches. Star Craft is owned by Jayco, and the Hummingbird and Satellite are the same design; only minor differences in the equipment. Mine did not come with a fan in the vent. I changed the vent to a Fantastic Vent with three speed fan and thermostat control. A fan is a must have on warm days when you can't use the A.C.. I also added a 12VDC plug inside so I could plug in an A.C. inverter or USB adapter. The only USB plug inside was at the stereo. Also, the mattress that came with it is too hard, so, i added 4 inch memory foam pad on top. Otherwise, I am quite happy with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using OB Talk mobile app

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
jdexplor
One more thing to keep in mind is the battery. My trailer came with a battery, but, the dealer installed a type 24, 12V- 50AH battery. I had them switch it out for a type 27, 12V- 105AH battery. I am considering adding a tongue box so I can mount, and lock, two batteries inside.
I am not big on rock crawling. My truck is my everyday vehicle, and, I do not want to destroy it needlessly. So I don't believe there will be too many trails that I won't be able to take the trailer. My biggest concern is tight switchbacks. That will be my biggest limiter.

Reactions: Road

jdxplor

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Prather, CA
Member #

Thank you for the input. I think the Fantastic fan would be very sufficient in a small trailer along with cross ventilation. I've done some research on dry camping requirements and would also either install two type 27 or two 6 volt batteries in a tongue box, depending on weight. My plan is to carry 200 watts of portable solar as well...and, probably invest in an inverter generator for emergency use, if needed. I've traveled the western U.S. for many years as a photographer and have found that there is still an abundant amount of land to explore without putting myself or my vehicle in risky situations. I'll be retired when I begin traveling and plan to take my leisurely time, staying one to two weeks at different locations. Thanks again for your suggestions.

jdxplor

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Prather, CA
Member #

I'll keep you posted! My plan is to begin my full time travels in January of 2019. Prior to that - I will purchase the trailer, make some interior modifications and equip it as needed - it should be a fun project.

jdxplor

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Prather, CA
Member #

Look's like a very capable trailer for extreme conditions...right up to the point where they got stuck in the mud! The Toyota seemed to struggle a bit with the weight. Australia would be quite an interesting environment to explore. I enjoyed the video...thank you.

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
Hey guys, I went camping last week. Pulled my trailer up the back way to Big Pines Flat Campground near Fawnskin (Big Bear Lake). Drove up Coxey Road (3N14) from Apple Valley, 21 miles to the campground, climbed about 3000 ft. Took me about an hour and forty-five minutes on the dirt road. Stayed four nights; it was great; weather was warm during the days and got cool overnight (down to about 38F), but, I was warm in my heated trailer. Here is a video of the trip up the mountain.

https://youtu.be/14iyj_ROX_M

Reactions: jdxplor

jdxplor

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Prather, CA
Member #

Thank you for the ride-a-long. It was quite interesting watching the change of scenery with the rise in elevation. Well done video.

R.Green

Rank 0

Traveler I

My wife and I lived full time for 4 months in our R-pod 171 Hood River Edition. We did a few mods to make it our own. It was a great base camp large enough to live full time in but small enough to only take up one other parking spot beside the tow vehicle when in cities. The Hood River Edition has great ground clearance good for off the beaten path tracks but the height and width will limit the tracks you can access. If anyone is thinking of a R-pod hit me up for any questions. View attachment 16347
I have lived in my R-pod 174 since may 2012. I went from a 3200 sf home to my pod. I've never regretted it.

jdxplor

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Prather, CA
Member #

The R-Pod is is still on my list for full-timing (solo traveler). I'm finding it difficult to make a decision...it's between the.R-pod, Hummingbird, Geo Pro and Camp Lite. Are there any negatives to your 174?

R.Green

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have added some storage but that's about it. I had a airstream Bambi I got new. Was a pile of garbage. Sold that and got the r pod. Have had zero problems. Get one with the slide out its small but makes a big difference in room.

R.Green

Rank 0

Traveler I

Well I guess that depends on what you eat. Turn on the fan it has not been a problem. Its a small space so you get use to a lot of things. The r pods have a foam core floor so if you stand in the same spot a lot it will start to sag. But I have had no problems with anything. I pull with a 2004 jeep wrangler