Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Back when I had my Subaru Forester and Outback I would always run Yokohama Geolander AT GO15s. Super quiet! I honestly think they were quieter than the normal highway tires that I took off. I spent many trips up in Northern NM and they did great in the deep snow and ice in the winter as well as the rock/sand/mud during the summer.

I agree. Talked the Wife into getting the Geolanders and road noise was a really big concern. The Outback had Michelin Defender M/S. Got the OK, the first ride very noticeable difference. She looked over and said “I think these are quieter and a much smoother ride”. Passed the test with flying colors. Also gives the car a much more aggressive look but not overkill. Big difference even on the miles of washboard roads. Very pleased so far.

Geoff_07

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Loveland, OH
First Name
Geoff
Last Name
Tipton
Member #

Continental TerrainContact ATs should probably be on this list. I looked around quite a bit recently and in the category of AT tires, they're a bit milder than Cooper AT3's and have some tread that's especially good on wet, flat surfaces. We have a set on our GX470 and they're pretty quiet (my wife didn't realize they were ATs).

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Cooper ST Maxx. Since you said gravel durable. They are actually hardcore STT's,with a milder tread design. The aren't the quietest tire, but are good enough. Rotate every oil change.

Most AT's are street tire based, and wimpy.

Reactions: Scout

OverlandOzzy1

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Durham, NC, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Osborn
Member #

Cooper Discoverer AT3
Toyo Open Country AT3

Both are solid options. I have had no road noise from either tire . Have ran 2 sets of each on tacomas and other vehicles

Reactions: Graeman

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I am 36k in on my General Grabber AT2 and I couldn't be happier with them.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I used to run the Coopers on my 3/4 ton Silverado and they were excellent tires - low noise, long lasting and not too expensive. On my Jeep so far I think that the Milestar Patagonia's are the quietest tires that I have used on it. Milestar also makes an all terrain tire that is very quiet and inexpensive to buy now too.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I love my Cooper ST Maxx and plan to get another set for the Cruiser when these wear out. However, they are NOT a quiet tire after you get 15-20k miles on them.

The Cooper AT3 has been the quietest AT tire I have run, but I can only compare it to the original BFG KO.

Just got my new set of Maxx's installed last week. I was thinking about tread wear and road noise..You'll know when its time for an alignment when you start to hear the tires. Much of longevity also has to do with vehicle weight as well as keeping them rotated at correct intervals and keeping in alignment.. With my 1st set of Maxx's, I got 42k out of them..Pretty good for an A/T on a Tundra that sees a lot of different terrain..I didn't rotate my tires the last time because I wanted to see how loud they got with traed "chopping".. They still weren't as loud as a lot of other tires out there..I drop it off for the new alignment on Tuesday, with the new tires..

Reactions: KonzaLander

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Since the mid 80s I had been using the BFG AT KOs on multiple trucks and jeeps and never had a flat tire. Their traction is just as good and sometimes a lot better than anything else on the market. They also wear like iron. I'd put 40-50 thousand miles on em and sell them used for a fair price. I don't find the noise of the BFGs to be nearly as irritating as the high pitched whine that my current General Grabbers possess. I pretty much switched brands on a dare. The noise factor and a couple of other things will end my relationship with the Generals. I'll be going back to the BFGs for my next set. You don't have to take my 2 cent opinion, but I've been doing this thing since the mid 70s, back in the days of Kelly Springfields and 16.5" Have a great day everyone !

Reactions: FishinCrzy

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Just got my new set of Maxx's installed last week. I was thinking about tread wear and road noise..You'll know when its time for an alignment when you start to hear the tires. Much of longevity also has to do with vehicle weight as well as keeping them rotated at correct intervals and keeping in alignment.. With my 1st set of Maxx's, I got 42k out of them..Pretty good for an A/T on a Tundra that sees a lot of different terrain..I didn't rotate my tires the last time because I wanted to see how loud they got with traed "chopping".. They still weren't as loud as a lot of other tires out there..I drop it off for the new alignment on Tuesday, with the new tires..
I am now at 39k miles on these ST Maxx. Wear has been steady and smooth and the increased noise level that kicked in around 20k miles has remained consistent. I'll be due for a new set next spring at 45-50k miles. I am impressed with this tire.

Snerk

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Rosa, CA
First Name
michael
Last Name
baker
My Yokohama Geolandar G015 ATs are damn near as quiet as the stock Bridgestones that came on my Subie. Very much appreciated as this thing gets driven daily. Not as aggressive as some designs, but for a car that does get taken to work and around town and isn't doing any intense mudding / rock crawling, I'm real happy.