Put an offer on a used Lance 1575 to pull with my Rubicon.

• HTML tutorial

EricnSD

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Ericson
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

I have a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, so I'm limited to 3500 lbs towing and 350 lbs hitch weight. I considered getting an adventure trailer, but while I'm not new to RVing in general I am new to overlanding and my thinking is I'd rather start with something small like an ultra lite that is less capable on the trails but would be a good base camp nearby. And I want a dry bath and a bit more room. If I get more serious about wanting to camp in places only an adventure trailer can get to I can always upgrade down the road.

Was looking at the rpod 170, winnie drop, and the lance 1475. I put in an offer on a 2016 Lance 1575, the slight increase in weight gives me a slide out and a dry bath over the 1475, and I think I'll still be able to manage the weight well enough to safely tow it even though I'll be towards the upper limit.

Here are the weight specs of the 2016 Lance 1575 trailer if you're interested:
  • Dry Weight: 2,665 lbs.
  • Payload Capacity: 1,045 lbs
  • GVWR: 3,700 lbs
  • Hitch Weight: 225 lbs
And the full specs for the trailer. I found a place -Out West Campers- here in Rapid City that is going to help me put a lift on the trailer and change out some of the interior to make it more my style and more boondocking capable. To start I'd like to tear out the dinette and put in chairs. Make sure the AC is working and add a soft start, upgrade the batteries and see if I can afford the weight of a small inverter generator or a solar panel. All dependent on the weight factor.

I'm new to overlanding and still catching up on a lot of these threads. Appreciate any thought or questions :grinning:

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

Had a 97 Wrangler and loved it alot, but a truck is really the way to go if you wanna tow a larger trailer with more weight.

EricnSD

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Ericson
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Had a 97 Wrangler and loved it alot, but a truck is really the way to go if you wanna tow a larger trailer with more weight.
I eventually want to have 2 rigs. My more nimble Jeep + ultra lite setup for overlanding, and a truck + 5th wheel for normal RV touring. Already have my F350 platinum with duallys picked out :D