Puncture Repair Kits

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

What is everyone using for puncture repair kits? I have a cheap no-name kit that I'd like to upgrade to a better one that has stronger tools. ARB makes one that I know some people use, but I'm curious if there are better or better-for-the-money (and space) kits out there. ARB tends to bank off the brand, despite many of their products being made in China in the same factory as the no-name product (their tire deflator comes to mind).

This one from Boulder Tools looks more complete and is a few dollars cheaper.
This is another one.

So what is everyone using, and do you recommend it?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I just ordered two of the cheaper kits that only have the handles, plugs and lube. I figure I already carry the pliers. I think the kit was $17?

The plastic case will go away too. I keep my kit in a zipper pouch so it takes up less space in the tool box.

Reactions: Jkk

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Last edited:
Reactions: TreXTerra

Jkk

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Georgia
I’ve plugged at least 957 tires with your basic plugs and driver. Had to plug a guys tire on the GA traverse in the middle of Johns Mountain wma. Used one of the cheap plugs and it lasted for months after the trip. All ya need

Reactions: Lindenwood

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
I can't say much about the other brands since I have no personal experience with them. I have plenty with the safety seal brand. Stick with a kit that comes with metal handled tools. the plastic will break. Back when I worked in the shop we had a kit in each tow truck. All safety seal we never broke one in the 15 years I was there. I've sold shops several of the metal handled replacement tools when their cheaper (plastic handles) kits fail.

Oakster

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oakland, CA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
DiGiorgio
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6BJD
I'll second the suggestion of Safety Seal, though I'm sure many brands work. What I like with Safety Seal is the tremendous quality of the tools - I see the plastic-handled tools from China at all the auto parts stores and I imagine them failing miles from asphalt, and possibly poking through your hand.

I recently returned to at least the possibility of overlanding after a few years of driving a 2WD truck. I started inventorying my recovery gear and realized that my Safety Seal kit is 21 years old, and added buying new plugs to my "to do" list...A few days later I got on the road at 6am on a Sunday morning to meet some buddies for coffee and heard a "thump thump" coming from my front driver side tire, and found this nasty piece of vehicle trim and screw.
62896055905__2550DA09-7FF2-4CEF-B282-96F73AF3DA54.jpg

I went online and read that Safety Seal lists the shelf life of their tire plugs as 6 years - and as mentioned my kit was 21 years old. I went to the auto parts store and found some fresh tire plugs but couldn't get the repair to work (based on user error...) In frustration I pulled out a 21 year old Safety Seal plug and it worked perfectly - 2 months later later the repair is holding, tire hasn't lost any air and I can't locate the repair on the tire.

Here's the kit that's been sitting forlornly in the shop since I sold my Trooper years ago...I've replaced the old plugs, though they may well have still worked 10 years from now.
IMG_1396.jpg

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
The Safty seal is heavy duty, had one for years. Keep the plugs sealed in a baggie, they last longer. Google can show you a lot of different "plug" technology. Colby valve stems are a good add to the kit.

Reactions: Blake87 and Corbet

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I assisted a guy who had nearly bald street tires at full inflation cut a 1.5" gash right in the middle of his tire driving over trails in Uwharrie. He plugged that entire cut with every sticky plug in his kit. Damn if it didn't get him out. I have no idea if he tried to drive home on it, but it held pressure at least to get to the parking lot. (My assistance was to provide the inflation with my smittybilt compressor.)

After that, I'll never underestimate the proper application of those sticky plugs.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I carry a full size spare in the bed all the time and a second original spare if where I'm going is especially rocky or has stumps. And carry whatever brand tire plug kit you get at Walmart or auto parts stores I think its the green slime brand with my compressor under the rear seat.

When I was poor and younger I had a lot of tires with patches in them And drove on em til the rest of the tire was wore out.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
el cheapo plug kits for me. Put 3 plugs in my wife's tires this year ( I really don't know where the hell she's been driving) and many before that. no issues with the cheap ones. when I cut off the extra I always burn the end and flatten it and it seems to hold like new.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I carry one of these standard sets and have added a colby emergency valve and standard valve and some tire mounting grease to it. That works for me. On longer trips and for rally service I carry two tire levers in addition and sometimes also a tube just in case. When buying a tire repair set I recommend to keep especially an eye on the quality of the awls. The awl has to be very forceful, so it should be stable, especially the handle. I would always choose something properly made of metal here.

By the way, I find these valve extractors, which are integrated in the valve cap, very practical.

Last edited:
Reactions: madcratebuilder

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I bought an ARB kit from a local store after bending my cheap $7 kit trying to push the plug in. The ARB kit was $40 locally, but I have used it 3 times so it has paid for itself in time.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Since we have already talked here about the colby emergency valves. Yesterday I realized again how great these little things are. Came home from a trip and right in front of the yard gate I thought, mmhhh, what's going on? A loud hiss. Tire valve defective. Operated the old valve with the pliers out, put the colby valve in, inflated, no 5min later everything ready to ride again. And that without wheel change or even tire disassembly to attach a standard valve. Just quick, easy and perfect. And not to mention that there are many situations where a wheel change or tire disassembly can be very difficult.