Propane Bottle Mounts- Show Us Yours

• HTML tutorial

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

I need to switch over from disposable propane bottles to a semi-permanently mounted 5# -8" diameter or a 10# -8.9" diameter tank. Any advice on mounts? Our situation calls for it to be bolted to the top rail of our dual swing-out bumper, next to the tire. So the bolts will have to go down, through the bottom. So a good, thick, solid bottom is a must. We'll make a support bracket as well. We don't need anything fancy, just secure and durable, store-bought or homemade.
Any suggestions or photos of what your setup would be greatly appreciated.

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
Good question. I am also transitioning over now with a 5lb goal. Mine will be installed on my trailer. Hopefully some examples will be posted.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I have the AT Overland 10 pound tank holder mounted to the outside of my camper. They also make a 5 pound tank holder. It's pretty universal and you could easily sort out mounting it to pretty much anything.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

This won't help the OP but I mounted mine to the side of the box I installed on the tongue. I built a removable pedestal that I bolt to a piece of angle on the tongue under the box. The tank itself is held tight to the box with an 8" metal welding tank strap. On the other side I have a 10 litre water tank that is mounted using a similar insert. I abandoned the foam rubber hose shown in the second pic as it did not allow water to drain properly. I cut some small rubber pads to buffer the tank from the strap and they work fine.

19-06-20 1.JPG19-05-13 1.JPG

PNWDriver

Rank 0

Traveler I

Kirkland, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Gunther
I have the power tank 5lb mount on my roof rack. Sadly the mounts cost as much as the bracket, which cost more than the tank, which is borderline nuts... just FYI. There is no real other option on my Xterra, since there is not a large aftermarket community for them like you Jeep.

Where’d you get that bracket from or did you make it?

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I recently built a propane tank mount for my Jeep LJ tailgate. I fabricated the parts and bolted the mount to my MorRyde hinges which are designed to accept brackets. The tank actually bolts to the flat plate. It sits on a 1/8" thick rubber sheet and there are small holes in the plate for drainage. It's very solid; I can grab the tank and rock the Jeep. The only thing I have to do is add a bottle opener under the tank.

20-06-11 1.JPG20-06-11 2.JPG20-06-18 3.JPG

Reactions: PapaDave

Tom Cole

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Weatherford, Texas, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Cole
Member #

I attached mine to my rear swing-out. It makes it convenient to access for cooking. I'm not a sticker kind of guy, at least not on my vehicle. But I did decide to place a few on my propane bottle.

Attachments

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

I wanted one for my backup 10lb tank. Ended up getting another one from Off Grid Trailers (where the trailer was built) so I could easily switch between the two tanks. I believe they make these themselves. I mounted it to the side of the trailer with rivnuts (as they did the original), but also positioned it so the weight would be fully supported by the running board, which can carry 400 lbs.
Bracket.png

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Probably won't help the OP much, but might give ya ideas. I built one for a 5# tank on my Land Rover.
CheckDSCF5248.JPG my blog for the full story;

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
What's a "ditch mount"? Never mind I gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogled it.
I meant to say ditch mount extension. I ended up not using it to attach my CB antenna. So it worked out to hold the propane tank mount.

syrtus

Rank III

Enthusiast I

California, MD
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Young
Member #

I initially made the mistake of mounting the propane tank on its side which caused the the heater and stove I was using to sputter and go out frequently. IMG_9626.jpg

Reactions: RoarinRow