Project 'Yeller' Trailer Build

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

KonzaLander

Rank V

Influencer I

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0EBF
The time has come for me to pull the RTT and awning off of my Land Cruiser and permanently attach them to a trailer...a trailer that is always ready to go!

Objective: Have a trailer that is always ready for adventure.

Goals:
  • Small cargo trailer that gear can be permanently stored in
  • Water tight construction
  • Have the ability to haul two kayaks
  • Hold a RTT and awning high enough so that I can walk under without ducking
  • Have the ability to mount my fridge on a slide
  • Tongue that allows for 90° jackknife
  • Run dedicated trailer 30/31" tires and spare to allow use behind a TJ or Land Cruiser
  • Allow for [future] electrical system expansion
  • Allow for [future] permanent mount water tank
I spent an agonizing amount of time reading various trailer build threads across the web to learn what sort of design would work best for my needs. I then searched various forums, craigslist, FB marketplace and local classified postings for a trailer that could be modified for my use. In most cases a good trailer candidate was sold before I could take a look, or it was astronomically priced. I then happened along a craigslist ad for a slightly overpriced trailer that looked to have potential. The ad had been up for over 20 days but it was still available when I inquired. It was probably still available because the seller would only take phone calls.
1619126958089.png

I went to check it out, negotiated a bit and proceeded to drag it home. My anxiety was sky high at the thought of dragging a trailer 80 miles home (in the rain) with no fenders, lights or knowledge of how the bearings looked.
1619127554251.png

The back way home took me through some of my favorite parts of Kansas.
1619127707319.png

I made it home with out incident. The hubs were nice and cool :sunglasses:
1619127814303.png

This is my arm chair plan for 'Yeller' the trailer:
  • Relocate axle under the tub at 60/40
  • SOA and shocks with 235/75R15 tires
  • 2-1/2x2-1/2x0.25 hitch 'backbone' with receivers at the front and rear
  • 1-1/2x1-1/2x0.1875 rack structure
  • The green boxes represent a kayak
  • Awning and RTT height is 6' 6" from the ground
  • Access doors front and year
  • Weatherproof side flip up doors
  • Paint (the yellow might go away, but the 'Yeller' never will)
1619127843648.png 1619127878273.png

Last edited:

PCO6

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Newmarket, Ontario
Member #

Looks like a good project. Coincidentally, I picked up a welding trailer (basically a flat bed though) that was about the same distance away. I had the same concerns especially about the bearings. Everything went well and it was a fun project.

I also like your Comanche. I have one too.

KonzaLander

Rank V

Influencer I

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0EBF
Looks like a good project. Coincidentally, I picked up a welding trailer (basically a flat bed though) that was about the same distance away. I had the same concerns especially about the bearings. Everything went well and it was a fun project.

I also like your Comanche. I have one too.
I have been following your welding trailer build :) It seems like trailers designed to carry a welder have a substantial and sturdy frame; one of the aspects that attracted me to Yeller.

Thanks for the comment about the Comanche. I have a few MJ's and this one is by far the roughest but is the only one that drives. It is an '86 that I saved it from going to an Iowa scrap yard in 2010. It has been all over Colorado and really dumbfounded a hiker who witnessed it coming down the Black Bear Pass steps :laughing:
1620914891100.png

Progress has been slow since I am obligated to finish a basement remodel before I can spend a lot of time in the shop on the trailer. Since I am in rural Kansas, I had to make a trip to the big city of Wichita to pick up metal for the build. Good grief, metal is expensive these days.

2.5" - 0.25 square tube
4" - 0.25 plate
1" - 14 gauge square tube
1.5" - 0.188 square tube
...over $400

1620914343342.png

Fenders and the front and rear doors also arrived. Now I am itching to actually start the build!

PCO6

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Newmarket, Ontario
Member #

I need to fess up. :sob: My trailer build (in my sig below if others haven't seen it) did NOT turn out the way I intended. At some point along in the build my wife decided she wanted to take up camping. It shocked the hell out of me as she was always an "anti-camper". That trailer wasn't going to cut it and we ended up buying a "soft" pop-up tear drop. I had fun modifying it but it is more HER trailer than mine. When I camp alone I take MY trailer or simply sleep in my Jeep XJ.

Anyway, I reconfigured trailer #1, mine, and it's actually more suitable for what I do. I need to up date my build thread but here's what it looks like now. A welding trailer into a "do everything" trailer ... for me anyway. I've also included a pic of my MJ which I don't use for trailering. It's great for parts runs though!

Attachments

PCO6

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Newmarket, Ontario
Member #

What the heck ... here's my wife's trailer even though she doesn't have a clue how to tow it. lol It's a Coachmen Clipper Express that I modified and she lets me camp in with her.

user29786_pic105453_1595161135.jpg.

spazegun2213

Rank II
Adventure

Traveler I

San Diego
First Name
ross
Last Name
miller
Member #

What the heck ... here's my wife's trailer even though she doesn't have a clue how to tow it. lol It's a Coachmen Clipper Express that I modified and she lets me camp in with her.

View attachment 198281.
How do you like the clipper? I've been eyeing them for a little while as an inexpensive (and maybe capable?) trailer. Mrs. Spaze and I are 6'+ so we are always worried about space.

PCO6

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Newmarket, Ontario
Member #

How do you like the clipper? I've been eyeing them for a little while as an inexpensive (and maybe capable?) trailer. Mrs. Spaze and I are 6'+ so we are always worried about space.
It's been great. I wouldn't say that it's all that capable off road but I have done some mild stuff (dirt, gravel, making my own, etc.) and it's held up. I've made some modifications to the frame to toughen it up a bit and I think the have helped. I'd provide you with a link but there have been some photo hosting issues and things are a bit mixed up at the moment. I may have to do a proper build thread here!