Prinsu 2010-2018 T4R Full Roof Rack User Impressions?

• HTML tutorial

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I’ve had a 4th gen 4Runner version of this rack for a while. I’ve got some pics below of it loaded up. Plano recovery gear case up from, bolted to crossbars, RTT attached to a set of crossbars that drop into place, and are removed with the tent.

Honestly, the rack is fine, but I’d do frontrunner or eezi awn k9 if I could do it again. With extra crossbars and a bunch of stainless hardware, I’m pretty sure I’ve ended up spending as much as I would have with one of the other racks I mentioned. Things I really don’t love about the rack:
-No side overhang, makes side mounting anything difficult when you’re working around permanently mounted things like RTT’s
-too adjustable, doesn’t come with enough crossbars stock. This level of adjustability isn’t necessary IMO and it makes the entire setup more complicated.
-almost no accessories available. Biggest reason I would go with frontrunner.
-only 2 mounting points on each side to the roof (vs 3 per side, requiring drilling, from frontrunner) and it’s just not quite as heavy duty as I like.

It’s not a bad rack and I’m not spending the money to switch it out, but I would make a different choice if given the opportunity again. It doesn’t matter if you think you know exactly how you’re going to setup your rack now, it’s going to go through multiple iterations as your rig grows and changes. Adaptability from different accessories is key. And the prinsu just doesn’t have it. I havent had a single “problem” with the rack and it’s done everything I needed. But my overall reaction to it has been that of being underwhelmed. It’s just not AMAZING and not HEAVY DUTY. Granted, mounting to T slots on top is easy. But side mounting anything is a major pain. IMG_2623.jpgIMG_2243.jpgIMG_2226.jpgIMG_2229.jpgIMG_2242.jpgIMG_2244.jpgIMG_2245.jpg

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have a prinsu rack on my 80. A few of what @Ben Cleveland didn't like, are points I like but, I have changed a few things. The only reason I bought it was, I was going to copy the design and build my own. Someone popped up with a group buy and it was only $100 more to buy it.
The first thing I did was changed all the hardware to stainless, added mounting tabs and ordered some more cross bars from 80/20 (they made the T-slot). Next I made modular mounts for things, the T-Slot is great for that. One of the biggest pluses is the lack of wind noise off the rack.
I guess overall I needed something I could customize and I couldn't build mine for what I paid for it.
Bad points, should have had stainless hardware and some people will struggle assembling it. Mine didn't have directions. I like puzzles so I didn't mind.
One of my buddies has the front runner. I would say his is a bit stronger and I like the trim around the corners. Unfortunately the corner trim started cracking for some reason and his rack looks like crap now.

Scott

Corey B

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Southeast Wisconsin
Member #

In the ‘05 and newer, it bolts directly into the tracks. On Gen1 Tacoma, I had to drill holes in the roof. Not my fave thing to do, but the only option with Prinsu. The jack-bolts were a pain in the ass. I managed to get all but one to seat. I may just drill thru and lag bolt them in. In discussion now with CBI about the kit they sent...still not positive I received the correct one. There are differences in the hardware and fitment between what they sent and what the instructions show...so...I’ll update as I find out.

Reactions: Overland Commander

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
In the ‘05 and newer, it bolts directly into the tracks. On Gen1 Tacoma, I had to drill holes in the roof. Not my fave thing to do, but the only option with Prinsu. The jack-bolts were a pain in the ass. I managed to get all but one to seat. I may just drill thru and lag bolt them in. In discussion now with CBI about the kit they sent...still not positive I received the correct one. There are differences in the hardware and fitment between what they sent and what the instructions show...so...I’ll update as I find out.
Hmmmmm sounds difficult.....

Lori Ritchie

Rank 0

Contributor I

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
Lori
Last Name
Ritchie
I’ve had a 4th gen 4Runner version of this rack for a while. I’ve got some pics below of it loaded up. Plano recovery gear case up from, bolted to crossbars, RTT attached to a set of crossbars that drop into place, and are removed with the tent.

Honestly, the rack is fine, but I’d do frontrunner or eezi awn k9 if I could do it again. With extra crossbars and a bunch of stainless hardware, I’m pretty sure I’ve ended up spending as much as I would have with one of the other racks I mentioned. Things I really don’t love about the rack:
-No side overhang, makes side mounting anything difficult when you’re working around permanently mounted things like RTT’s
-too adjustable, doesn’t come with enough crossbars stock. This level of adjustability isn’t necessary IMO and it makes the entire setup more complicated.
-only 2 mounting points on each side to the roof (vs 3 per side, requiring drilling, from frontrunner) and it’s just not quite as heavy duty as I like.

It’s not a bad rack and I’m not spending the money to switch it out, but I would make a different choice if given the opportunity again. It doesn’t matter if you think you know exactly how you’re going to setup your rack now, it’s going to go through multiple iterations as your rig grows and changes. Adaptability from different accessories is key. And the prinsu just doesn’t have it. I havent had a single “problem” with the rack and it’s done everything I needed. But my overall reaction to it has been that of being underwhelmed. It’s just not AMAZING and not HEAVY DUTY. Granted, mounting to T slots on top is easy. But side mounting anything is a major pain. View attachment 77066View attachment 77067View attachment 77068View attachment 77069View attachment 77070View attachment 77071View attachment 77072
This was really helpful. Few people seem concerned about side mounting w/ a RTT, so couldnt get this addressed. Its a big deal to me, as I'd like to keep the top fairly open due to the sun roof. My 23Zero would overlap the side rail, leaving not only no access to the rail. but also very little space between bottom of tent and top of 4Runner doors. No way to do traction boards especially. After MUCH research, just committed to the Front Runner due to beefier side rails, another 1-2" in width, so tent will fit inside rails, table storage space underneath and availability of taller tent mounting brackets, providing more clearance around rails for mounting brackets and clearance above doors. The trade off is higher cost, drilling into roof, and rails over sunroof arent easily put off and on for change in needs. Over all happy w/ decision though. Thanks again for input!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

It’s not a bad rack and I’m not spending the money to switch it out, but I would make a different choice if given the opportunity again. It doesn’t matter if you think you know exactly how you’re going to setup your rack now, it’s going to go through multiple iterations as your rig grows and changes. Adaptability from different accessories is key. And the prinsu just doesn’t have it. I havent had a single “problem” with the rack and it’s done everything I needed. But my overall reaction to it has been that of being underwhelmed. It’s just not AMAZING and not HEAVY DUTY. Granted, mounting to T slots on top is easy. But side mounting anything is a major pain. View attachment 77066View attachment 77067View attachment 77068View attachment 77069View attachment 77070View attachment 77071View attachment 77072
Great job of loading ! Is that a gun case that you use for your riggings ?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Has anyone regretted a drilling into their rig? I’m still debating if I should drill into it. (Disclaimer: I have a Rtt
I wont unless I have to. I have three cables running through my roof (2 coax,1 solar). I used the old factory roof rack holes with a sealed gland nut. If for some reason I wanted to remove all that, I can put a crush nut back in and install a factory rack.

When I purchased my Cruiser years ago, it had a water leak and a stained headliner. The previous owner glued the sunroof shut because he thought that's where the water came in. it was the roof rack crush nuts. The seals on them were poor from the factory and had failed.

If your going to drill into sheet metal, drill bits don't cut very round holes. There are special cutters you should be using. You at least need a stop on your drill so you don't drill into your headliner or wiring. Once you have the hole your probably going to want to install crush nuts to mount to and need the installer.

I own all this equipment and still went to a rack that mounts to the gutter. Unless you have to I would suggest not drilling. If you do, it needs to be correct. Welding up holes is not fun.