Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I think it is a great way to go along with home dehydrated foods (soups, jerky etc.) the capacity to make this stuff at home gives you ingredient control and a vacuum sealer completes the troika.

Oh and did two pork shoulders on Friday. Combining canning and bbq is just genius way to keep this thread going!

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Just found this thread 3 years later. We do a lot of canning and take prepared meals with us as well as pre-cooked meals that are vacuum sealed then frozen. We also do a lot of dehydrated meats and snacks. Sooo much easier than making things from scratch.IMAG1592.jpg

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I have been doing this for some time now and really find it an excellent way to store food and, more importantly, make some really tasty stuff that you don't find everywhere! If you have a garden bang on. My mom used to gift me every year at Christmas a couple jars of canned beef-so good over noodles or mashed potatoes! Don't forget to can some amazing side dishes as well, particularly those with beans-

As for the storage check these out -
There are numerous cockbooks dedicated to pressure canning but I would start with Ball books and go from there. Also the some state Extension Offices have some great information to check out.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I have been doing this for some time now and really find it an excellent way to store food and, more importantly, make some really tasty stuff that you don't find everywhere! If you have a garden bang on. My mom used to gift me every year at Christmas a couple jars of canned beef-so good over noodles or mashed potatoes! Don't forget to can some amazing side dishes as well, particularly those with beans-

As for the storage check these out -
There are numerous cockbooks dedicated to pressure canning but I would start with Ball books and go from there. Also the some state Extension Offices have some great information to check out.
Absolutely agree. We can from our garden and orchard. Plus, having our own source for eggs means no need to refrigerate them on a trip either.

IMAG1254.jpg IMAG0121.jpg eggs.jpg