Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Does anyone pressure can meals to take with on trips? I would like to find another alternative to sandwiches and the rest of the typical camp food. The boil in a bag meals are okay, but hardly compare to homemade.

I’m going to try it out for myself. The only downside I can think of is jar breakage, but a lot of folks prefer bottled beer. And if properly packed, beer bottles don’t break all that often. I’m thinking of wrapping the jars in a dish rag, (maybe a can coozie?)

I could freeze meals in a vacuum pouch, I know. I’m thinking fridge space, and storage. Canned food doesn’t go bad if the battery dies.

I’m canning my first batch of chili as I type this, and I also have a 12lb brisket on the pit.... we’re eating good tonight!

Reactions: Matt Hixson

Big Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland Texas
Member #

Wow! That’s definitely a unique approach. I’m curious to see how this turns out. I for one like to be able to dispose of used food containers. I could see that being an issue on longer trips.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Wow! That’s definitely a unique approach. I’m curious to see how this turns out. I for one like to be able to dispose of used food containers. I could see that being an issue on longer trips.
That’s very true. But, if you run out of space, you can always recycle the jar. I guess I should have stated that I only plan on taking a few with at a time.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Does anyone pressure can meals to take with on trips? I would like to find another alternative to sandwiches and the rest of the typical camp food. The boil in a bag meals are okay, but hardly compare to homemade.

I’m going to try it out for myself. The only downside I can think of is jar breakage, but a lot of folks prefer bottled beer. And if properly packed, beer bottles don’t break all that often. I’m thinking of wrapping the jars in a dish rag, (maybe a can coozie?)

I could freeze meals in a vacuum pouch, I know. I’m thinking fridge space, and storage. Canned food doesn’t go bad if the battery dies.

I’m canning my first batch of chili as I type this, and I also have a 12lb brisket on the pit.... we’re eating good tonight!
Hey Captain....found these on Amazon for you. Screenshot_20180915-145338_Chrome.jpg

Big Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland Texas
Member #

That’s very true. But, if you run out of space, you can always recycle the jar. I guess I should have stated that I only plan on taking a few with at a time.
Recycling is a good point. I really like the idea. Canning is something I like the thought of doing but I’ve never tried. My mother and grandmother have both canned extensively and everything was always good. I hope it works out for you. I’ll be looking forward to an update.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Hey Captain....found these on Amazon for you. View attachment 68830
Those look to be exactly what we need! Thank you!

Recycling is a good point. I really like the idea. Canning is something I like the thought of doing but I’ve never tried. My mother and grandmother have both canned extensively and everything was always good. I hope it works out for you. I’ll be looking forward to an update.
My mother and grandmother, along with my wife’s mother and grandmother, also canned extensively. I remember our cupboards were full of jars as a kid. My ma never canned meals, though. At least none that I remember. We had vegetables and fruits and jellies and jams.... this might lead into more canning on my part.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Big Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland Texas
Member #

Those look to be exactly what we need! Thank you!

My mother and grandmother, along with my wife’s mother and grandmother, also canned extensively. I remember our cupboards were full of jars as a kid. My ma never canned meals, though. At least none that I remember. We had vegetables and fruits and jellies and jams.... this might lead into more canning on my part.
The most experience I have with canning is when I drink Jack and Coke from a Mason jar!

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
The most experience I have with canning is when I drink Jack and Coke from a Mason jar!
My first attempt is out of the canner and cooling. The jars have sealed and my wife is working on salsa verde! It’s a little intimidating at first, but it’s actually quite easy. If everything works out, I may just have to post a more extensive thread.

Big Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland Texas
Member #

My first attempt is out of the canner and cooling. The jars have sealed and my wife is working on salsa verde! It’s a little intimidating at first, but it’s actually quite easy. If everything works out, I may just have to post a more extensive thread.
At least let us know how it turns out. I may never do it myself but I’m very curious about the end results. Not to mention how they hold up to Overland travel and how it tastes.

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

I haven't done this myself but Various formed styrofoam for things like wine and other bottled products are probably available in the back of your favorite grocery store. You could diy something with flat pieces of styrofoam cut in such a way to interlock forming cubby holes sized to your needs. I will post photos later.

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Big Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland Texas
Member #

Well, anyway you look at it, it all looks good and sure beats the crud out of some of the stuff I’ve eaten while camping or on the trail. I flip flop between convenience and actual cooking. Sometimes I opt for simple and quick, then I’m disappointed with taste. Then I switch to more involved meals that end with me cooking and cleaning most of my time in camp. I haven’t found my happy medium yet.

Big Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland Texas
Member #

I wanted to this last weekend and try out our canned meals, but a sinus infection AND a abscess kept me home. I made a pork butt instead.

View attachment 69948 View attachment 69949
I think my next adventure is going to have a waypoint that includes your house for BBQ! I need to get another smoker. I gave mine to my parents when we left New Mexico and moved to West Texas.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I think my next adventure is going to have a waypoint that includes your house for BBQ! I need to get another smoker. I gave mine to my parents when we left New Mexico and moved to West Texas.
I’m actually experimenting with a camp chef pellet grill we bought. I have a pretty expensive pit I bought 10 years ago that works great, but I don’t have the time and patience to babysit a charcoal pit anymore. The pellet grill/smoker works good, but it doesn’t like mustard slathers like my pit does. I’m learning what it does well, and so far, it seems to work pretty darn well.

TheDrakes

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sacramento
Member #

My husband and I can LOTS of meat. It's great to take camping. We just put the jars in a sock to keep it padded in our food box. We've never had a break.