Prep 2018 4Runner for water crossing

• HTML tutorial

Lloyd

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Looking for info on prepping a 2018 4Runner for potential water crossings. Snorkel brands suggested, diy or professional install, other areas needing attention to avoid problems.
Hope I got this in correct place this time.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

It seems like most normal folks only need to extend their differential breeders and transmission breather. That is phase 1. If you really think you will have water all the way up to your air filter intake, then you definitely need a snorkel.

I think ARB has a differential breather extension kit. If you wanted something professional looking you could do that, or you could just buy rubber hose from your local auto parts store and do it yourself.

There are other things to consider when crossing water, like wheel bearings and engine pulley bearings. Premature failure can definitely result with frequent extended water crossings.

Make sure you do a test cross him first on foot, especially if you don’t know what kind of bottom it has. All the professionals I see always send someone ahead with their pants rolled up to check the bottom for softness or mud. I know it stinks doing this, but it also stinks being stuck in the river for six hours. Don’t ask me how I know.

James

Lloyd

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
It seems like most normal folks only need to extend their differential breeders and transmission breather. That is phase 1. If you really think you will have water all the way up to your air filter intake, then you definitely need a snorkel.

I think ARB has a differential breather extension kit. If you wanted something professional looking you could do that, or you could just buy rubber hose from your local auto parts store and do it yourself.

There are other things to consider when crossing water, like wheel bearings and engine pulley bearings. Premature failure can definitely result with frequent extended water crossings.

Make sure you do a test cross him first on foot, especially if you don’t know what kind of bottom it has. All the professionals I see always send someone ahead with their pants rolled up to check the bottom for softness or mud. I know it stinks doing this, but it also stinks being stuck in the river for six hours. Don’t ask me how I know.

James
Very helpful. I don’t plan to do it often if at all. But would rather be ready in case.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Be prepared to cut into that new fender...

I’ve never ran a snorkel, and have been into water near the top of my 31” tire. Snorkel would be needed for water that goes over the hood... just something to keep in mind.

Might wanna consider your limit and the limit of those people in the car with you before biting off on that one :)

James

Reactions: Lloyd

Lloyd

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Be prepared to cut into that new fender...

I’ve never ran a snorkel, and have been into water near the top of my 31” tire. Snorkel would be needed for water that goes over the hood... just something to keep in mind.

Might wanna consider your limit and the limit of those people in the car with you before biting off on that one :)

James
Not looking forward to cutting the fender. For sure. And I actually have zero desire to go in deep water with it. But I have to plan for worst case scenario. I’m planning some off-grid shooting/survival schools and want to cover my bases. It would suck to have your instructor cancel your class cause he got water in his engine. LOL.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Not looking forward to cutting the fender. For sure. And I actually have zero desire to go in deep water with it. But I have to plan for worst case scenario. I’m planning some off-grid shooting/survival schools and want to cover my bases. It would suck to have your instructor cancel your class cause he got water in his engine. LOL.
Not to hijack your thread.... but what kind of shooting/survival schools?

Reactions: Thebighomie

Lloyd

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Not to hijack your thread.... but what kind of shooting/survival schools?
It’s actually more a shooting/hunter prep school. We will go to various locations. Get some animal vital targets set up and practice real life hunting scenarios. I teach shooting out to a mile here in Texas but we are planning these in more mountainous areas. Additionally I have other instructors that can teach skills for when things don’t go as planned. Medical, land nav, vehicle recovery, etc.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

It’s actually more a shooting/hunter prep school. We will go to various locations. Get some animal vital targets set up and practice real life hunting scenarios. I teach shooting out to a mile here in Texas but we are planning these in more mountainous areas. Additionally I have other instructors that can teach skills for when things don’t go as planned. Medical, land nav, vehicle recovery, etc.
Sounds cool!

I'm a certified NRA Instructor and shoot some competitively, but am looking to get out more hunting (only been a few times so far). Skills when things "don't go as planned" are very practical and necessary when you are hours away from any assistance.

Reactions: Thebighomie

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
You need to determine how high the air box is off the ground, in my case it's about 42" before I have to worry about water reaching the air filter. My truck has the drive train vents high, about 40" or so above the surface. If you have really good door rubber it should seal out a few inches of water. I think I would limit any water crossing to 24-28".

I do some long range with a 6.5 Grendal and Creedmoor, remember not to shoot across a roadway or waterway.

Lloyd

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Sounds cool!

I'm a certified NRA Instructor and shoot some competitively, but am looking to get out more hunting (only been a few times so far). Skills when things "don't go as planned" are very practical and necessary when you are hours away from any assistance.
T
Sounds cool!

I am sure you are aware, but if water is high enough to get into your engine it is also filling your cab. Ask me how I know..

And Arkansas mud smells like ass.

View attachment 81802
Sounds cool!

You need to determine how high the air box is off the ground, in my case it's about 42" before I have to worry about water reaching the air filter. My truck has the drive train vents high, about 40" or so above the surface. If you have really good door rubber it should seal out a few inches of water. I think I would limit any water crossing to 24-28".

I do some long range with a 6.5 Grendal and Creedmoor, remember not to shoot across a roadway or waterway.
Sounds cool!

Luckily we can find something in Texas to hunt pretty much year round.
I am sure you are aware, but if water is high enough to get into your engine it is also filling your cab. Ask me how I know..

And Arkansas mud smells like ass.

View attachment 81802
That sucks. Really try to avoid that.