gschlossnagle

Rank 0

Contributor II

Woodstock, MD
First Name
George
Last Name
Schlossnagle
I'm thinking about installing an ARB fridge in my rig, and am thinking about how to power it. I think I'd prefer not to do dual battery under the hood (expensive - their aren't many kits for Wrangler JL, and those that are require matching batteries, so can't use a deep cycle). I'm considering an ARKPAK, which seems reasonably ideal and a bit more cost effective. Anyone have advice or recommendations?

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

I'm thinking about installing an ARB fridge in my rig, and am thinking about how to power it. I think I'd prefer not to do dual battery under the hood (expensive - their aren't many kits for Wrangler JL, and those that are require matching batteries, so can't use a deep cycle). I'm considering an ARKPAK, which seems reasonably ideal and a bit more cost effective. Anyone have advice or recommendations?
If all you are going to run is a fridge then that Arkpak seems more than you need. It will be over $600 when you factor in the battery. Does it house the battery or is it external. Might consider something like this. It says it will run a 72qt fridge for 18hours continuous and it will run a smaller one longer. Can charge it by 110v, 12v or solar. $370 Lithium444 Power Pack by Flexopower

TXOverland58

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Negron
Member #

My rig is a Land Rover but the problem was the same as yours. I looked at the ARKPAK too for a 47L ARB fridge/freezer. From what read it’s a solid product especially the 110v power output. My rig needed more usb & 12V accessories and a compressor power port hence I went in a different direction (National Luna Portable Power Pack). It works well especially with the Odyssey 31-PC2150T Heavy Duty Commercial Battery. It was a bit pricey though. Regardless of which solution you choose make sure you plan a good location to mount it. Mine is strapped down on the second row center seat.

69AE635A-186B-4CEF-A522-C7A91F8D7EE2.jpeg6A15973F-37BE-4327-B75F-D3EF27F64677.jpeg

Reactions: AT71

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

My rig is a Land Rover but the problem was the same as yours. I looked at the ARKPAK too for a 47L ARB fridge/freezer. From what read it’s a solid product especially the 110v power output. My rig needed more usb & 12V accessories and a compressor power port hence I went in a different direction (National Luna Portable Power Pack). It works well especially with the Odyssey 31-PC2150T Heavy Duty Commercial Battery. It was a bit pricey though. Regardless of which solution you choose make sure you plan a good location to mount it. Mine is strapped down on the second row center seat.

View attachment 103062View attachment 103061
That looks like more than the Arkpak costs and does not include any inverter.

TXOverland58

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Negron
Member #

Yes and yes. Used it at Moab and locally (TX) with great results. The alternator keeps the auxiliary battery charged and the auxiliary battery keeps the accessories going. When the rig is off the main battery is isolated. I drove from Austin to Moab and back with a few hotel stays and 2 days in Canyonlands. The fridge was on the entire time. On shorter hops the system works for me since I have a high output alternator and the Odyssey battery has huge capacity and a fast recovery charge time. If you only are running the ARB fridge for day trips then it’s mostly about the battery capacity. Either way, at some point you have to charge the auxiliary battery from an alternator (my set up) , solar, or a wall outlet.

TXOverland58

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Negron
Member #

That looks like more than the Arkpak costs and does not include any inverter.
It definitely costs more and doesn’t have 110. It does have lots of accessory ports. It’s what I needed. It’s overkill if you’re only running the ARB fridge and only doing day trips.

gschlossnagle

Rank 0

Contributor II

Woodstock, MD
First Name
George
Last Name
Schlossnagle
It definitely costs more and doesn’t have 110. It does have lots of accessory ports. It’s what I needed. It’s overkill if you’re only running the ARB fridge and only doing day trips.
The product page for it looks like it just has one cigarette outlet, one hella outlet, and a usb. Are their more accessories ports as addins?

TXOverland58

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Negron
Member #

It’s the Clearview Easy Slide. They offer a straight slide and a drop down slide. I have the drop down since the fridge is on top of my drawer box. Purchased it from Atlantic British (www.RoverParts.com).

Chingon_Grandpa

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La mirada ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Chavez
Member #

Yeah with solar...i was out for a fishing trip for 3 days and the fridge never stop and the battery was top few minutes after the morning Sun.(using a 90w solar panel on the top of the jku?
Easy set up without overthinking i like it!
...ive been racking my brain, since theres so many options, mostly overkill. After speaking with Jason from @SwellRunner, he uses a 100w panel and 1 agm battery for fridge and starting the rig..hes been using that system for over a year with fridge in the rig full time. I just bought a fridge made by Costway..all good reviews. I paid $339.00. I plugged this into an older 12v battery i had sitting around saturday 5pm..voltage was at 12.9 now today monday morning voltage at12.3. Im convinced i can get away with 100 solar panel and 1 agm battery for my particular use. Good luck20190624_073546.jpeg20190624_073552.jpeg

Chingon_Grandpa

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La mirada ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Chavez
Member #

That is one sweet setup!
This is just to test the fridge..im checking to see how long it will take to drain the battery on each setting. So far its been 30 hours on low....this is by no means my setup lol...but thanks though! [emoji1]