Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
IMG_0895.jpg
Used the REI plans to build the kitchen box. We keep our coleman stove, spices, plates and utensils, coffee pot, 2 cast iron skillets, steel comal, collapsible sink, 2 bowls, paper towels, and odd stuff like spare batteries, etc in it. Never weighted it, but I'd guess it's pushing 75-80#

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
View attachment 142291
Used the REI plans to build the kitchen box. We keep our coleman stove, spices, plates and utensils, coffee pot, 2 cast iron skillets, steel comal, collapsible sink, 2 bowls, paper towels, and odd stuff like spare batteries, etc in it. Never weighted it, but I'd guess it's pushing 75-80#
I like it but I couldn't lift it. Reminds me of the chuck box we had in the scouts that was always ready and never failed us.

Reactions: M Rose

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

What brand are the drawer systems in all of these rigs? I notice they have a fridge too!
Sorry for the delayed reply... I own a high end production cabinet shop in the San Francisco Bay Area and have been building these units for a couple years at the request of my friends. And yes.. they are equipped with a pullout refrigerator.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Sorry for the delayed reply... I own a high end production cabinet shop in the San Francisco Bay Area and have been building these units for fun for my friends. And yes.. they are equipped with a pullout refrigerator.
Be nice if you'd give us some more info on your build. I wish I was one of your friends.

Reactions: MeliMK

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I

Lanlubber... I've been working on a website that describes the unit in detail. I'll have it posted soon... It'll show all the details if you want to build one yourself or have me build it for you.
Thank you, I'm sure we can all benefit from your expertise.

MeliMK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orwigsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Melinda
Last Name
Killian
Member #

This is our kitchen box we built. Its integrated into a storage system in our truck bed, below a drawer under our sleeping platform. There are rollers on the bottom and usually we just pull it out on the tailgate and cook right there, with a table we set up when we need it. Its pretty heavy when loaded up, so we don't set it up on the legs often unless we are parked for a few days at least. There is a cutting board that slides out under the stove and a leg we can attach on the bottom so it doesn't tip off the tailgate. The back portion has the extra hinged top so it can be opened while on the tailgate without moving our sleeping platform.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
This is our kitchen box we built. Its integrated into a storage system in our truck bed, below a drawer under our sleeping platform. There are rollers on the bottom and usually we just pull it out on the tailgate and cook right there, with a table we set up when we need it. Its pretty heavy when loaded up, so we don't set it up on the legs often unless we are parked for a few days at least. There is a cutting board that slides out under the stove and a leg we can attach on the bottom so it doesn't tip off the tailgate. The back portion has the extra hinged top so it can be opened while on the tailgate without moving our sleeping platform.
Can you explain Kitchen3 pix. looks like you might have some electrical there for battery-solar power ?

MeliMK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orwigsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Melinda
Last Name
Killian
Member #

Can you explain Kitchen3 pix. looks like you might have some electrical there for battery-solar power ?
Pic 3 is of the front. So two big handles, bottle opener in the center & magnets below to catch bottle caps. We have a plug in the rear bumper for extra power (coffee grinder, the like) that draws from two extra batteries mounted in the truck bed. No solar on the truck at the moment, maybe in the future....

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Pic 3 is of the front. So two big handles, bottle opener in the center & magnets below to catch bottle caps. We have a plug in the rear bumper for extra power (coffee grinder, the like) that draws from two extra batteries mounted in the truck bed. No solar on the truck at the moment, maybe in the future....
Thanks, if I were to use my old truck I would want exactly what you have for at least one side. In some ways it would work in my LRD2
too.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Do you have a sketch with some dimensions so that I can get a better feel for the size. Looks like the top is made from 2x material.

MeliMK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orwigsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Melinda
Last Name
Killian
Member #

Do you have a sketch with some dimensions so that I can get a better feel for the size. Looks like the top is made from 2x material.

Sadly no sketch. My husband does lots of this design work in his head honestly. Its (roughly) 26" wide, 14" tall, & 4' long when its all buttoned up. The stove pulled out makes it longer at that point. Fits the Coleman 2 burner and our pots. The front face is steel since its by the cooking area and the rest is 1/2" birch plywood. We used oak for some of the more technical pieces and dividers because thats what was readily available when we were making it. Its stained and sealed up with 4 coats of spar so water just beads right off the surface.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Sadly no sketch. My husband does lots of this design work in his head honestly. Its (roughly) 26" wide, 14" tall, & 4' long when its all buttoned up. The stove pulled out makes it longer at that point. Fits the Coleman 2 burner and our pots. The front face is steel since its by the cooking area and the rest is 1/2" birch plywood. We used oak for some of the more technical pieces and dividers because thats what was readily available when we were making it. Its stained and sealed up with 4 coats of spar so water just beads right off the surface.
It looks very well made. Thank you for the info. Hubby is quite a craftsman.