Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I was thinking of something like this that eliminates the tailgate as the tailgate on my trailer was mutilated in the previous owners modifications View attachment 114456View attachment 114457
Looks pretty doable with some metal fabrication work. Do you want the sides to lift up too ? what are your skills at building ? Sheet aluminum or tin will make those rounded corners, with pop rivits to hold it down to marine plywood flat panels, then fiberglass the whole thing. I'll bet @Road or @old_man could give you some ideas on building.

Normal Thomas

Rank 0

Contributor I

It's not a drawer! (Drool) but yeah, having fun for sure. Lotsa great ideas in this thread.

I'll have to get my basecamp kitchen set up and a good photo taken. (Still not a drawer)
I have those same boxes but I got the bottom roller unit instead of the mesh box. They work great! I can put in 2 stoves, griddle, cast iron pans, etc. It's great for how we camp.

Contributor I

I have those same boxes but I got the bottom roller unit instead of the mesh box. They work great! I can put in 2 stoves, griddle, cast iron pans, etc. It's great for how we camp.
Yup. Went with the mesh box for pots/pans/misc (etc). It breathes, so the dishes can dry without molding while we're driving; or just at a place where I can carry all the dishes in one container to the wash basin/area. The larger box has food and I like that its burro/rodent-proof and may keep a bear at bay for a few while I get my shoes on to chase it out of camp.

huudlum_jk

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Opposite of minimalist...just about finished my new drawer when we headed out for the OLB Lost Coast trip Father’s Day weekend, fun trip with 14 rigs.

It has taken awhile to build but it goes in and out of my truck like a chuck box
View attachment 104216View attachment 104217View attachment 104218View attachment 104219View attachment 104220View attachment 104222View attachment 104215View attachment 104221
Man that box is something else! Very nice! Are those “corner” materials and paneling something from Home Depot/Lowe’s etc? Wouldn’t mind attempting something along those lines. Oops! Got a little excited and posted this too soon... just saw the link to your build. Carry on

Last edited:
Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Man that box is something else! Very nice! Are those “corner” materials and paneling something from Home Depot/Lowe’s etc? Wouldn’t mind attempting something along those lines. Oops! Got a little excited and posted this too soon... just saw the link to your build. Carry on
Haha carry on. And no, most local places don’t carry extruded aluminum. Tnutz.com has expanded what they offer as well. Or in a couple weeks you might be able to buy a kit if you don’t wanna DIY it :)

PullKitchen com

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Did you build it all yourself, What trailer frame did you start with or is it all hand made. I'd say your quite a craftsman.
Thanks! I started with a Red Trailers 5x8 frame I lengthened to just under 10, the rest was pure vision and design on the fly. That was 11 years and about 20,000 miles ago. Of course I’m still making tweaks.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks! I started with a Red Trailers 5x8 frame I lengthened to just under 10, the rest was pure vision and design on the fly. That was 11 years and about 20,000 miles ago. Of course I’m still making tweaks.
HA HA, NATURALLY. The job is never done is it ? That's what I like about this Hobby, sport, whatever you want to call OBing. I call it an enjoyable money pit !

• Haha
Reactions: Sparksalot

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
This how we set up a few weeks ago. It rained a fair bit and the canopy came in handy.

View attachment 115672
I feel right at home there. It reminds me of a place I lived in my adolescent years, only the trees were a larger diameter and thick like these in the pic.

Reactions: PCO6

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign