Portable Jump Pack?

• HTML tutorial

AdvNerd

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Austin, TX
So I'm excited to finally be planning some long distance trips with my new Outback, but my biggest fear is always a dead battery. I would love a dual battery setup (and will probably eventually go that route), but I need something a bit more affordable and flexible for now. I've seen a lot of the Lithium Ion "jump packs" on Amazon, but I have no idea if any of them are something I would want to count on when I'm 25 miles from the nearest road.

Does anyone have any experience with them or a good one to suggest?

Reactions: tritonl

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

This is the second pack that I have owned, the first was a Matco VersaPower which I "lost" and bought this one, then found and sold to the shop I work for.

The Rockford RFD8008: Here on Amazon

I've been running this one for about 2 years now, and use it on a regular basis between my trips, my fleet of old Toyotas with dead batteries, and charging my phone when I can't sit on "Her" side of the couch by the wall outlet. Works great and hasn't let me down, from lawn mowers and motorcycles to one ton diesel trucks (Disclaimer: The manufacturer clearly states these are not to be used with diesel engines because of their high amp draw requirements).

Cheers
Mike

Reactions: Phaktor7

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
So I'm excited to finally be planning some long distance trips with my new Outback, but my biggest fear is always a dead battery. I would love a dual battery setup (and will probably eventually go that route), but I need something a bit more affordable and flexible for now. I've seen a lot of the Lithium Ion "jump packs" on Amazon, but I have no idea if any of them are something I would want to count on when I'm 25 miles from the nearest road.

Does anyone have any experience with them or a good one to suggest?
I know this may sound silly if you're unfamiliar with it but if you're considering a jump pack I'd be replacing the notoriously weak OEM battery first with a group 34. Subaru finally acknowledged this with the 2018 but the newest Outbacks still comes with a battery I'd consider unfit for this line of work.

I was gifted this jump pack from Harbor Freight and despite the fact that it is not the one I would have chosen it has done the job. I've only had to use it once to jump the wagon, which it did fine despite not being fully charged, but I've jumped my tractor on numerous occasions without charging between. Inexpensive and it works.

https://www.harborfreight.com/lithium-ion-jump-starter-and-power-pack-62749.html

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

I have whatever one Advance Auto Parts sells. I woke up while camping to a dead battery but I had my Dual Sport motorcycle on a Hitch Haul. Off loaded the bike, found an advance store & purchased. Taking it out of the box it only illuminated 2 of the 4 LED's but it was enough to start my 4.7 Liter Commander. I've used it only 2 times since to help others & it works OK.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I have the Antigravity XP. It works. I've used it dozens of times for other people. I don't like it though. I can never tell exactly what it's doing, whether it's charged, if it's on or not, and it has this little insubstantial alligator clips that I hate. Buy something else.

Reactions: Nef

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I bought a Vetomile 800A off Amazon a year ago. Does low voltage for phones and can crank over a V8. Has led's to show amount of charge. What I really like is it holds full charge for a long long time.

Reactions: Desert Runner

AdvNerd

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Austin, TX
I know this may sound silly if you're unfamiliar with it but if you're considering a jump pack I'd be replacing the notoriously weak OEM battery first with a group 34. Subaru finally acknowledged this with the 2018 but the newest Outbacks still comes with a battery I'd consider unfit for this line of work.

I was gifted this jump pack from Harbor Freight and despite the fact that it is not the one I would have chosen it has done the job. I've only had to use it once to jump the wagon, which it did fine despite not being fully charged, but I've jumped my tractor on numerous occasions without charging between. Inexpensive and it works.

https://www.harborfreight.com/lithium-ion-jump-starter-and-power-pack-62749.html

That might be a good idea. I already killed mine once by leaving an inside light on at an airport parking lot. I notice the lights dim frequently and it seems to struggle rolling all the windows up at once. It's one of the last 2018s but this battery doesn't seem that great. Will a group 34 fit in the stock battery tray?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
That might be a good idea. I already killed mine once by leaving an inside light on at an airport parking lot. I notice the lights dim frequently and it seems to struggle rolling all the windows up at once. It's one of the last 2018s but this battery doesn't seem that great. Will a group 34 fit in the stock battery tray?
I can assure you it’s a good idea and yes it fits. The only issue is the stock group 25 battery blanket won’t fit the 34... no big deal. I believe you have a 490CCA battery which is a slight improvement from the sad 356CCA one the 5th gen debuted with.

Phaktor7

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Riverside, CA, USA
Member #

Just joined, also just got my first Subaru Outback. Was looking for Subaru posts and saw this. Does the 2019 2.5i have the same battery issues discussed above?

If yes, does it also fit this group 34 (battery?). If I go into an autozone will they know what a group 34 is?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Just joined, also just got my first Subaru Outback. Was looking for Subaru posts and saw this. Does the 2019 2.5i have the same battery issues discussed above?

If yes, does it also fit this group 34 (battery?). If I go into an autozone will they know what a group 34 is?
Congratulations on your new Outback! You should have the same battery @AdvNerd has and yes a group 34 will fit if you decided to change it. If your Autozone doesn’t know what that is... turn around slowly... and walk out. Haha.

Reactions: Graeman

Nef

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Malave
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC2UD
I have the Antigravity XP. It works. I've used it dozens of times for other people. I don't like it though. I can never tell exactly what it's doing, whether it's charged, if it's on or not, and it has this little insubstantial alligator clips that I hate. Buy something else.
I have the xp1 Haven't had an issue with it though. Clips are the same as any other. Has saved me as well as about a half dozen others. I keep it in my everyday pack so it's always with me. I also have a harbor freight 3 in 1 but use it primarily to run the tent lights and fan. You know how it is, 2 is 1, 1 is none.
IMG_20181211_173933.jpg IMG_20181211_173622.jpg IMG_20181211_173633.jpg

Reactions: Jimmy P

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

A group 24 battery will fit as well (it's what I put in mine).

Could have used one of these last week when the battery in the wife's car died.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
A group 24 battery will fit as well (it's what I put in mine).

Could have used one of these last week when the battery in the wife's car died.
Battery for battery the 34 is less expensive and higher CCA.

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
I've had two of the AntiGravity jumpers. Both had battery swelling issues which makes them completely unsafe. The first one got a free replacement, but not the second. Don't waste your money. Great idea, poor execution.

Currently running a FPZLink bought off Amazon. So far so good.

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I did an absolute sh_t ton of research before buying a NoCo GB40. A lot of other makers have good website reviews and then on purchasing sites there are a significant number of reviews that say the unit failed on them. The GB40 seemed like the best choice for me based on review sites and end-user reviews. It would be wonderful to feel that your insurance was failsafe, but I don’t think it’s possible.

Reactions: Desert Runner

drrobinson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evergreen, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0DRR
I also went for the NoCo GB40, two of them actually. No complaints, but this is the type of gear I want long term experience with before I recommend.

I’ve been charging every 6 months. No real science behind that timing, I just assume a very small bleed down on lithium-ion battery chemistry. I also gives me an opportunity to inspect regularly.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I've had two of the AntiGravity jumpers. Both had battery swelling issues which makes them completely unsafe. The first one got a free replacement, but not the second. Don't waste your money. Great idea, poor execution.

Currently running a FPZLink bought off Amazon. So far so good.
Swelling is dangerous. I keep an eye on my jumper pack, would be really bummed if my truck burned.

Reactions: AZ WANDERING BEAR

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I bought a pair of relatively cheap off-brand 450Amp LI batteries off Amazon. They are currently unavailable.

A few weeks ago, my wife left the dome light on in my 3.4L 4Runner at the airport. 6 days later, we got back and it was absolutely dead. I pulled this jump pack out and was up and running in 20 seconds.

I carry the same one in my new 6.2L V8 F250, which might be a stretch as this battery is rated for up to 4.5L gas. But, it's better than nothing until I can get the dual batteries going.