Portable Grill Recommendations

• HTML tutorial

cascadiarunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mount Shasta, CA, USA
Member #

Hi all I'm in the market for a good compact grill for overlanding. I like my camp stove but I also want to grill food, and don't always have a fire I can use for that purpose. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Reactions: OverLamb24

cascadiarunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mount Shasta, CA, USA
Member #

Thanks for the replies! I have the Q at the top of my list it's just a little bulky, I was hoping there was something decent that was maybe less bulbous but everyone seems to love it. I'm normally a charcoal guy but I live in the forest on the west coast, and that means frequent burn bans so I gotta stick to propane.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I have been using a Coleman Fold and Go grill for about 10 years. I removed the hinges and made the lid like a cover. Nice and compact. You can also get a griddle and pot rack to make the grill more versatile.

Attachments

Reactions: cascadiarunner

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I like my O-grill. There area couple of different versions. I found an older style larger one that has been discontinued. Legs fold up and it can store vertically.

Mine is similar to this one: TravelQ 2225 - TQ2225PO | Napoleon

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army

Jhop567

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sagle, Idaho
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFL231
Service Branch
LEO
Just got a Traeger Scout. It runs on 12 volt and 110. Have the big one at home and love it. Haven't tried the Scout yet. Hope to soon.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I bought a UCO Flatpack Portable Grill and am loving it. Cooks a mean steak. The best results I've had is with plain old scavenged wood from the forest.

59782047_10155954250896637_6403668540368355328_n.jpg

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

I have a Weber Q I bought used on Letgo. It's been good. I want to buy a pizza stone and try making some pizzas up in the mountains

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I bought a UCO Flatpack Portable Grill and am loving it. Cooks a mean steak. The best results I've had is with plain old scavenged wood from the forest.

View attachment 102466
Interesting concept of a folding grill (and thanks for making my hungry with the killer steak picture).

Reactions: trikebubble

cascadiarunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mount Shasta, CA, USA
Member #

Thanks all for the input, I really appreciate it. I am limited to gas as this will be used when the national forests in my area put up a burn ban, which is usually mid July.

I like my O-grill. There area couple of different versions. I found an older style larger one that has been discontinued. Legs fold up and it can store vertically.

Mine is similar to this one: TravelQ 2225 - TQ2225PO | Napoleon
Ooh I'm really liking this one, wish I could find it for under $200!

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
I have a Weber Q I bought used on Letgo. It's been good. I want to buy a pizza stone and try making some pizzas up in the mountains
Wife made pizza on ours last weekend, first time cooking on it. Don’t think she used a pizza stone though, maybe a griddle? Id have to ask her as I wasn’t around at the time. Turned out excellent though.

Reactions: Edy Coyote

RamblingRanger

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Virginia
First Name
David
Last Name
T
Member #

I use a Skottle. Easy to store, set and cook on. Have not found anything you can’t make on it.IMG_0515.JPG
This picture is chicken fajitas on the deck. It has a carriage case for the cooking disk and one for the legs. Clean up is a breeze also.

Reactions: MuckSavage

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

You can find weber and Coleman camping/portable grills/propane stoves about anywhere for pretty cheap. Growing up my dad bought the cheapest Coleman propane stove available at Walmart, it still works today and I'm gonna buy it off him to use with my family when we camp.

Reactions: RoarinRow

FFJOORD

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tierra Amarilla, NM
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Carrillo
Member #

I ran with the Cabela's portable table top grill when I went to Yellowstone last year. It was great, fit on the roof rack perfectly, but the only problem was the grease would drip onto the truck during hot days. I conveniently had a used a beer box to help contain the grease but I still didn't like that clean up. So for now I'm sticking with a Coleman Gladiator series propane stove but I'm thinking about a grill basket that goes over a fire when there are no fire restrictions/bans.

Last edited: