Launch Member

Contributor I

Guanajuato, Mexico
First Name
Brittany
Last Name
Highland
Member #

As full-time RVers, we traveled with a Weber Q2200 for almost five years. But when we moved into our Jeep Wrangler, there was just no way it was going to fit. To grill, we got a cast-iron reversible grill top to use over top of our Jetboil two-burner. It works. One side is the flat griddle pan (which we've never used), and the other side has the raised ridges. The latter is what we use for our meats.

And it works. I guess my biggest complaint vs. the Weber is it takes a lot longer. But that makes sense, considering there's no lid to close and keep the heat in.

Reactions: Motoboss

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Hi all I'm in the market for a good compact grill for overlanding. I like my camp stove but I also want to grill food, and don't always have a fire I can use for that purpose. Any recommendations are appreciated!
Check out the Baby Traegers (Town and Travel Portable Series) My brother got the PTG+ (I think) for Xmas came with a little inverter to run it form the rig. It'll do a chicken or 6 burgers at a time and works well if a bit on the heavy side (~50 lbs with a full hopper of pellets).

For something a bit more budget friendly I carry a Weber Go-Anywhere Gas Grill. (Weber Go-Anywhere Gas Grill | Portable Gas Grill | Weber Grills) They have both gas and charcoal but for Overlanding I like gas, Uses the same 1lb propane bottles as my stove and can tuck into my rig's drawer system with the top handle removed.

Boort

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

Hi all I'm in the market for a good compact grill for overlanding. I like my camp stove but I also want to grill food, and don't always have a fire I can use for that purpose. Any recommendations are appreciated!
Depending on the size of your camp stove you may be able to find a cast iron griddle/grill to put over the stove. That is what I use over my camp stove. I found mine at a thrift store for 12 bucks. It is something like this.
Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron 16.75" x 9.5" Reversible Grill & Griddle - Walmart.com

Last edited:

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
I picked up a Coleman Roadtrip with a melted handle for $0. Found a replacement lid/handle for $25 on eBay. We used it at NWOR for the first time and it worked great to cook our kalbi ribs... but as far as packing it, it is a little big and bulky for most of our trips. It's tough finding a compromise between pack-ability and cooking surface.

DallasTRDPro

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas
As full-time RVers, we traveled with a Weber Q2200 for almost five years. But when we moved into our Jeep Wrangler, there was just no way it was going to fit. To grill, we got a cast-iron reversible grill top to use over top of our Jetboil two-burner. It works. One side is the flat griddle pan (which we've never used), and the other side has the raised ridges. The latter is what we use for our meats.

And it works. I guess my biggest complaint vs. the Weber is it takes a lot longer. But that makes sense, considering there's no lid to close and keep the heat in.

View attachment 106294
I have the same Weber Q that I use at my apartment. I was thinking about using that. Then I saw the JetBoil. I hardly boil water and would never use the 5Q pot with the Genesis. I may just save money and make the Weber work since its just me and my dog in our Wrangler.

Brittany Highland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Guanajuato, Mexico
First Name
Brittany
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I have the same Weber Q that I use at my apartment. I was thinking about using that. Then I saw the JetBoil. I hardly boil water and would never use the 5Q pot with the Genesis. I may just save money and make the Weber work since its just me and my dog in our Wrangler.
I would stick with the Weber for grilling if you can fit it. Then for boiling water, you could pick up the Jetboil Zip or Flash. The Jetboil buying guide is good--helps you figure out which system is the one you need.

A little off-topic, but we originally picked up the Genesis Stove and got the Luna burner to connect to it. But if I wanted coffee, I had to set up the whole stove system. So my husband ended up getting the Flash for me. In retrospect, I would NOT have gotten the Luna, and would have gotten the Flash or whatever free-standing one was best for my needs. Hope this helps!

DallasTRDPro

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas
Might get the Half Gen also and then I could use it for boiling small amounts of water for oatmeal and cooking some eggs. Grill meats and vegetables on Weber. I’m pretty basic in my meals. I like quick and easy with low amounts of cleanup.

cascadiarunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mount Shasta, CA, USA
Member #

I use a Skottle. Easy to store, set and cook on. Have not found anything you can’t make on it.
This picture is chicken fajitas on the deck. It has a carriage case for the cooking disk and one for the legs. Clean up is a breeze also.
You can find weber and Coleman camping/portable grills/propane stoves about anywhere for pretty cheap. Growing up my dad bought the cheapest Coleman propane stove available at Walmart, it still works today and I'm gonna buy it off him to use with my family when we camp.
Thanks guys, appreciate it. To reiterate I do have a stove, I just want a grill that I can use to bbq stuff when I'm not allowed to have a camp fire.

Reactions: JoelIII

Haminacan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia City, Indiana
First Name
First
Last Name
Lastname
Member #

As far as I am concerned, if you don't have time to use charcoal, just use the Coleman stove. I like the Aussie Walkabout grill for travel. Plenty of room for some indirect heating and smoky flavor.

alumacapt

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Albany, Oregon
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7UAK
I have the NexGrill. I like that it comes with standard propane bottle connection. BF02F134-30E8-43A0-9FD5-1743E97A4B69.jpeg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Stay away from this version in GAS.....hate mine with a vengeance.
Love the charcoal setup. Been our GoTo for three years now!

I have this one, the Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill, too, and have used it a lot, though mostly for backyard and picnic cookouts.

For grilling when camping, if I can't use a campfire or my flatpack steel fire pit (burns woods or charcoal), I use my Camp Chef Compact Propane Fire Ring (about 70 bucks these days) with a folding wire grill over it, or kabob skewers. I already have propane for other uses, and use the compact fire ring a lot for heat anyway, so use it instead of hauling charcoal and the Weber Go-Anywhere.

I had the larger propane Weber Grill Q1200, favored by many, but ended up selling it as just too bulky to haul all the time, at least for my packing methods, when I already had other ways to cook. I see it is selling currently for twenty bucks less than when I bought mine a couple years ago.

I also have the griddle from Cook Partner for grilling on my 22" propane cook stove, though I know it's not the type of grilling a lot of folks think of when "grilling out."

Reactions: Haminacan

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Our mini Weber grill is up in the barn, it was just way to cumbersome to pack as space is at a premium. We tried one of those rectangular grills and it went in the dumpster.. we’ve been using the Volcano grill for going on 5 years.. if it ever fails I’ll get another, cook with charcoal, propane or wood.. 68F76587-CBD0-4906-9168-CF82FE039EE4.jpeg

Gregfosterid

Rank 0

Contributor I

Salt Lake City
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Foster
I've seen thousands of good reviews about Weber grill. But this happened after I bought a grill Smoke Hollow 205. I have nothing to compare with, but this grill definitely deserves your attention. We traveled with it 5 times already and never had problems with the transportation, connection and preparation of food in it.

Last edited:

bobzdar

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Richmond
I have 3 different options depending on what the locale allows. If open fires, I just use a swing away grill over the fire, works great. If only contained fires, I use a biolite firepit. If no fires, I use a chargriller akorn jr which is nice because when you close it up it puts the fire out and you can re-use the coals. With a full load of charcoal in it to start I can grill 3 or 4 times on it without having to add any. However, I'm kind of a charcoal/wood snob when it comes to grilling, if that's not an option I throw a cast iron griddle on my camp stove, not really any different to propane.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Since I'm not very concerned about weight and size anymore I picked this grill up a couple of years ago. It's a Members Mark 2 burner from Sams Club, it was the end of "the season", the last one in the store and the box had a huge dent and hole in it. They were originally marked $100 but the manager said $40 and no returns. It's been a good grill, works well for hunting and camping, it's taken a beating off road and still works like new.

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

I Know it isn't the same as a gas grill. But I have used a cast iron griddle (double sided ridges/flat) on my double burner gas stove top. Works great when a fire is not possible. Also takes up very little space since it is flat. I think of it as my econo skottle :smile:

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Terry Hicks

Rank 0

Contributor I

Anchorage Alaska
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Hicks
I’m a big fan of the Q series from Weber. From tailgating to getting off the grid it’s always been great to me.
I have had my Weber Q since 2005, and still working. It works great as a grill. I also have a 36” Blackstone griddle, at my cabin that I cook everything from pancakes to cheesesteaks. I will am adding to my collection of grills. The 17” Blackstone for camping.

Reactions: AZ WANDERING BEAR

Texassailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Austin, TX
Member #

I'm starting to simplify. I have a number of stoves including the dual burner Coleman (dual fuel). I've settled on the following to keep things simple and to limit all the crap I carry:

• Weber Q2200 (love the fold out platforms on each side). This is used for grilling meats, cooking pizzas, baking potatoes and a lot more.
  • Gas ONE GS-3900P stove Far superior to the dual burner Coleman because it doesn't have sides to grease up when frying bacon . . . which is a staple for our camp menu. Can take any size pan or pot. Great flame control. Might consider addiing a second one if we ever need it.
Instead of adding "stuff", I'm no focused on cutting "stuff" from our loadout. Trying to save space and weight. If I take it, I better need it.