Portable Fire Pits?

• HTML tutorial

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

I made this from some scrap 1/8” diamond plate I had laying around. It slips together and supports itself with no hardware and no welding required. I used a plasma cutter, but it could easily be made with a $10 harbor freight grinder with a cutting wheel. It all lays flat and I drilled a hole in the top of each piece and found a large bolt and nut to keep it all together when stored. I’m going to cut a piece of expanded steel to lay in the bottom to keep the coals directly off of the plate to reduce warping. I haven’t tried it yet, but it looks like it’ll do the job and it was free...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
That is a sweet set up.

Reactions: BigSkyGuy

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Can highly recommend. Works great, puts off a lot of heat, and if you break it, replacement parts are cheap and easy to get from their website. Best part is the weight and the space when packed away. Did I mention the weight....

If you order, tell them Ron in NC sent you.
Coincidentally, I received an email today from them, with a 40% off offer, and free shipping....couldn't pass it up! I ordered the one that includes the grill grate as well. Excited to try it!

** And I meant to say, Thank You for the input! Your reply kind of helped push me to making the purchase today as well, as I was hoping to hear something from another OB member here. Glad you're enjoying yours!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cendee

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
A nice idea, and a good solution where a previous rock pit cannot be used. However some of us live in areas where restricted open fires are not allowed for months on end. Fire season just extends from early spring to late fall....erggg Even the camp ground BBQ grill stands have become unusable, only gas/propane is allowed, no charcoal even......WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING

RANT::angry:
One of the downfalls of living in a dry climate zone. Fire restrictions have become a way of life, and the equipment your legally SUPPOSED to have with you. Like a 5 gallon jug, a shovel (mandatory during fire season)-NEVADA. It will be interesting to see if States like CA, implement a much more aggressive prevention and control policy, instead of just saying.......WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING. Growing up, i remember when i was a kid, the chain gang inmates working brush control in the Malibu canyon area along the roads, when smoking and cigarette use were more prevalent. That was over 50 years ago,, i don't know if that program is still in existence. I imagine after this last years devastation and loss of life, municipalities and politicians might finally implement programs that will start to mitigate to this trend. After all, it's cheaper for preventative steps, than the cost of fighting a fire after it starts. Certain building codes, brush management around homes, etc, can be implemented.

If home owners just put a couple of RAINBIRD SPRINKLERS on their roof a few hours before a fire reached the home, there is a good chance it could be saved, along with any foliage near the house that became saturated with over-spray. This would not work for every house on a block due to water pressure, but those home owners with foresight would at least have a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viking1204

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

This thing is supposed to be pretty awesome. They had some great black Friday deals last year..

https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-bonfire/
The Solostove is nice and puts out a great deal of heat the only problems with them is they are bulky, Stink like heck so outside it must stay and if you are packing up to leave in morning can't use it to stay warm with unless your not in a hurry or have lots of extra water to cool it down with before handling.

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

Propane for me. Tank and fire pit ride on the roof rack.View attachment 78960
I like that setup however I try to keep the size and amount of items I carry down if going on longer trips and other items take priority for the space over the large fire pit system. I have access to a good Sheet metal Fabrication shop so I am going to see what we can work up out of Stainless Steel that we can set up and break down without taking up too much space when traveling.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I like that setup however I try to keep the size and amount of items I carry down if going on longer trips and other items take priority for the space over the large fire pit system. I have access to a good Sheet metal Fabrication shop so I am going to see what we can work up out of Stainless Steel that we can set up and break down without taking up too much space when traveling.
Did you see my post on the Pop-Up Fire Pit? 8lbs!! It’s awesome!

IMG_1270.JPG

Reactions: Jimmy P

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

I have a Biolite Campstove2 that I picked up pretty cheap and it has proven to be a nice little addition for cooking and to generate heat. I know Biolite makes a Firepit. If its anything like my Campstove2 then it would be awesome. They are super efficient leaving very little ash/coals and also have the ability to charge a device via USB which is a bonus. It also appears to fold up nicely for travel as well.

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/firepit?variant=12471708287075

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I have a Camp Chef Del Rio propane pit I use at home. I have used it camping during CA fire restriction season (which is most of the year). At 29" it is OK to pack in the truck but too big for the Jeep. I want to get something similar but smaller. Tosting it with my homebrew is the only picture I have of it. Trying to talk myself out of buying the firepit skulls. They could create some interesting reactions from camp visitors but they are expensive.

FB_IMG_1447297858631.jpg

fire-pit-skull-logs-xl.jpg

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
No comments since August and here we are in the middle of fire pit season! I've read through this whole thread today and still can't decide on the right fire pit to buy for camping out that is reasonable priced and easy to transport. I think if I had the money right now I'd take a chance on the large Snow Peak, seems large enough for a good fire and packs up flat to save storage space.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I don't know if it qualifies as "reasonably priced" but I love my large Snow Peak. It's not super light, but as you said, it packs flat and is easy to stow as a result. I think it throws an impressive amount of heat given the size, and you can move it around while it's burning (drag it by the bottom plate), which is surprisingly useful. It also has numerous optional components for cooking; I don't have any of those, but they look pretty cool.

Given the build quality and utility, I have no regrets about dropping the coin on this unit.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I don't know if it qualifies as "reasonably priced" but I love my large Snow Peak. It's not super light, but as you said, it packs flat and is easy to stow as a result. I think it throws an impressive amount of heat given the size, and you can move it around while it's burning (drag it by the bottom plate), which is surprisingly useful. It also has numerous optional components for cooking; I don't have any of those, but they look pretty cool.

Given the build quality and utility, I have no regrets about dropping the coin on this unit.
I want to buy it with my upcoming 20% coupon from REI but the only Snow Peak grill they sell comes in a package with the grill grate and grill grate stand for $320. Regular price on Amazon just for the grill is $189, if REI sold just the grill I could get it for about $150 with my 20% off coupon that starts tomorrow. I don't think the price of the grill grate and grill grate stand is worth it. I can find a much cheaper grill grate to put on it IMO.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

If you pull the trigger, I recommend getting the base plate. I bought mine direct from the Snow Peak store in Portland, and it came with it. We've used it to elevate the pit by placing it on rocks, plus it reduces the impact of the fire...

Ajw62428

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Navarre, FL
First Name
D
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Pretty much bought the solo stove stove based on the build quality, reviews and the reduced smoke output. Of course, I didn’t look too hard for other options and it was mostly an impulse deployment buy. Definitely No regrets. Works awesome and it’s still portable. They do have different sizes and will be on sale during the holidays. I bought the Bonfire stove which comes with a traveling bag and added the stand to prevent ground scorch. It does put out some good heat and reduce everything to ashes.
I do like that snow peak but didn’t know about it til now. Either way, I read a lot of good info from everyone and wanted to pass on a good experience with solo stove.

Attachments