Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I hate building campfire rings where there are none. Plus, I like the idea of getting the heat up off the ground, closer to where you need it :-) I've been looking at these...

Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 9.52.04 PM.png
Anyone had any experience with this model, or have an alternative they like better?

Last edited:

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Not nearly as portable, but the old standby is the re-purposed washing machine tub. @Narbob can chime in here, I think he has one.
I've seen those used by RV'ers, and they're great, but it would have to sit in the passenger seat! I'm out of room :-)

Reactions: Narbob

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Not nearly as portable, but the old standby is the re-purposed washing machine tub. @Narbob can chime in here, I think he has one.
The tubs are nice. Being perforated and ceramic coated they really radiate the heat. However, they're big and take up lots of room. I've been looking at the Tuffy camping fire pan. I like that it folds up to a manageable size, it's just a little pricey.

image.png

Reactions: VCeXpedition

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I've seen one of those metal oil change pans used for a small fire pit as well. I was looking for one the other day and when I asked the guy at Autozone if they sold them he looked at me like I was from outer space. They only sell plastic ones now.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I've seen one of those metal oil change pans used for a small fire pit as well. I was looking for one the other day and when I asked the guy at Autozone if they sold them he looked at me like I was from outer space. They only sell plastic ones now.
probably have better luck at your Fleet farm or tractor supply type store.....

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
I've looked at these too along with different shaped buckets from Home Depot. After reading that most are made from galvanized metal and they could put out a toxic gas when burned, I changed my mind.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I've looked at these too along with different shaped buckets from Home Depot. After reading that most are made from galvanized metal and they could put out a toxic gas when burned, I changed my mind.
Alright that's it. I'm making my own. I have to say I forgot about that pesky little "it'll kill you" detail.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I picked up one from Primus called the "Kamoto". It works really well and comes with a grate for cooking or heating things up. What's nice too is that a little wood goes a long way with this son of a gun. It doesn't give off a ton of heat, but it's good enough for a small camp and it's durable as all get out. I've also left it outside for two weeks and it's rained quite a bit.... Nothing. No rust, no pooling, nothing.. Which is nice, because it wasn't cheap!

(I bought mine directly from Primus through a trade show.. I don't know if they're on sale in the US yet or not.)

http://www.primus.eu/kamoto-openfire-pit-large

Attachments

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Alright that's it. I'm making my own. I have to say I forgot about that pesky little "it'll kill you" detail.
This what I was waiting to see. I'm sure you'll come up with something better than what's out there.

Reactions: Rubicajon

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Oh this is giving me such ideas!

Better? Yeah, maybe but fun to build? That's what I'm after.
Getting it out of my head and into metal, now that's the challenge.

- Portable <must>
- Enviro-friendly <a benefit>
- Light-weight <if possible but don't count on it :yum: >
- Able to cook on it <yeah, now that's what I'm talking about >
- Won't have the ability to kill me <alright let's say that's important >
- Legs to be above the ground <is that a thing? not sure why >

Anything I'm missing?

*mind going down a rabbit hole...*

A job can be such a nuisance.

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Oh this is giving me such ideas!

Better? Yeah, maybe but fun to build? That's what I'm after.
Getting it out of my head and into metal, now that's the challenge.

- Portable <must>
- Enviro-friendly <a benefit>
- Light-weight <if possible but don't count on it :yum: >
- Able to cook on it <yeah, now that's what I'm talking about >
- Won't have the ability to kill me <alright let's say that's important >
- Legs to be above the ground <is that a thing? not sure why >

Anything I'm missing?

*mind going down a rabbit hole...*

A job can be such a nuisance.
Looks good. I have read that the trend at campgrounds is above ground fire. Better for the environment? Obviously your job is getting in the way. As you know I'm a big proponent for retirement, it works for me.

Reactions: RaggedViking

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
We have a propane Outland firepit ehttps://www.amazon.com/Outland-Firebowl-Deluxe-Portable-Propane/dp/B00KY4S388 we use when we're going out to places with campfire bans and also use it in the backyard. Everybody is shocked when they see it in action. It'll burn thru a 5# tank in about 3 hrs though.

But my wife just ordered me the Snow Peak Fireplace with base plate and bag for my birthday so I'll test that thing out in the next few days out at the beach. Planning to do more wood fire cooking in the future and not rely so much on gas.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I'm like @Narbob and made one out of a washing machine drum. It's a little bulky, but it's awesome!! Plus a replacement cooking grate for a Weber fits perfectly. Cooking on it is super easy and the wood burns very efficiently.

Here's my fire-pit on my roof. On this trip I set it upside down on the roof rack. I also made an attachment to slide it onto a trailer hitch.

20160601_135317 (1).jpg

OverlandHiker

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger II

Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
I have the Snow Peak and love it. There are many places where a ground fire is not permitted but this is. It packs flat, has a grill (optional) for cooking up a steak, and radiates a lot of heat. I highly recommend it.

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
Legs to be above the ground <is that a thing? not sure why
On some surfaces (grass, alkali flats) having short legs will prevent leaving a burn scar. Also, the fire pit will cool off faster, which means you can use it in the morning then pack it relatively soon after.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
On some surfaces (grass, alkali flats) having short legs will prevent leaving a burn scar. Also, the fire pit will cool off faster, which means you can use it in the morning then pack it relatively soon after.
Alright, I am now thinking legs.
But also thinking that it has to pack up in one package. In other words, it all has to fit within itself.
See where my mind goes?

And then packing it up soon after using it? That's a challenge, especially if you want a morning fire and then move on.

Hmmm...

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

We have a propane Outland firepit ehttps://www.amazon.com/Outland-Firebowl-Deluxe-Portable-Propane/dp/B00KY4S388 we use when we're going out to places with campfire bans and also use it in the backyard. Everybody is shocked when they see it in action. It'll burn thru a 5# tank in about 3 hrs though.

But my wife just ordered me the Snow Peak Fireplace with base plate and bag for my birthday so I'll test that thing out in the next few days out at the beach. Planning to do more wood fire cooking in the future and not rely so much on gas.
I second the propane option since we live in the land of fire-bans ourselves. Not to mention the wife doesn't like smelling like smoke! I know the camping gods aren't pleased but I have to admit the convienice has been awesome. We even throw a grate on ours for cooking non-greasy stuff (veggies, taters, etc.).