Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I agree with propane, I live in dry California, and some/most of the time there are no fires allowed but propane use is OK. For my project I could add a propane function but there are many right-sized options available.
The one I use is the Weber BBQ that is about the right size but I wouldn't use it to cook s'mores or to add ambiance.
Sorry OP @Reconnoiter, I hope this isn't hijacking this thread too badly!

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Alright, I am now thinking legs.
But also thinking that it has to pack up in one package. In other words, it all has to fit within itself.
See where my mind goes?

And then packing it up soon after using it? That's a challenge, especially if you want a morning fire and then move on.

Hmmm...
I like the design of the Tuffy, the cover opens up to be legs and then folds up and not too big when closed

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I agree with propane, I live in dry California, and some/most of the time there are no fires allowed but propane use is OK. For my project I could add a propane function but there are many right-sized options available.
The one I use is the Weber BBQ that is about the right size but I wouldn't use it to cook s'mores or to add ambiance.
Not at all. The more information the better. I already have one of these...
IMG_4850.JPG
Great to have, when they don't allow campfires.

Reactions: SoCal-JKU14

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Evansville, WY, USA 82636
First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

I know that my dad and I used a washing machine tub for years out in the desert. It was the best. Free. And it wasn't affected by wind and radiated a lot of heat. Plus it was hard to see from a distance if you wanted to remain under the radar. Load it up with wood and toss it on your trailer or low rack and your good to go. FYI it gets pretty heavy loaded up with wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Narbob and Crispy

jerdog53

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
I really like the Snow Peak folding fire pit and will do one one day. I haver no use for one really, its a luxury item in my mind but I totally dig it! I can count on one hand the times I would have needed it and had to put up a fire ring which I am appalled at.

I think if I was to do the wash tub fire pit the Solo Stove Bonfire might be a good option.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I too own an our land propane fire bowl and it's great for fire ban places. I am working on picking up a washer tub for wood fires soon.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Not nearly as portable, but the old standby is the re-purposed washing machine tub. @Narbob can chime in here, I think he has one.
These are awesome. My friend made one with cast iron pipe for the base that threads apart to make it slightly easier to travel with. But the functionality of these while burning is unbeatable.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Just curious, I know they are bulky, but if you had the space couldn't a small smokey joe grill be used as a small fire pit? You have the added bonus of having an actual grill with you as well.

Inmused

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Victoria, Australia
Member #

I hate building campfire rings where there are none. Plus, I like the idea of getting the heat up off the ground, closer to where you need it :-) I've been looking at these...

View attachment 9416
Anyone had any experience with this model, or have an alternative they like better?
We have been running with the Snow Peak for about two years. Fantastic bit of gear. I've spent a small fortune on Snow Peak gear and it is worth the money.

The photo's below were taken in the Barrington Tops, Australia. We had the pit 8" deep with red hot Iron Bark coals. Iron Bark burns about as hot as you get and the Snow Peak had NO warping or degradationation.

The grill works very well.

One of my favourite bits of gear.

Last edited:

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I use a small stainless steel washer drum I will need to post pictures later. Works great easy to move (even hot) weber grill fits perfectly on the top (cut some groves to keep it from sliding around). Big downside is its round and takes up a lot of space if there is no room on the roof to store it.

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I own this exact model from Snow Peak, and think it is very good, packs flat, and much better from than the two other I got from the home improvement store. I think for Overlanding, packability, versatility, and attachments, this is the way to go.

Burton58

Rank 0

Contributor I

I use a small stainless steel washer drum I will need to post pictures later. Works great easy to move (even hot) weber grill fits perfectly on the top (cut some groves to keep it from sliding around). Big downside is its round and takes up a lot of space if there is no room on the roof to store it.
I use exactly the same. Works great

Reactions: 1derer

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

On our last camping trip to Big Sur, I noticed the Rangers took out the camping fire rings at the campsite. So we had to build a stone fire ring which worked but it would have been nice to have one of these Portable Campfire Rings. For $27.00, its not a bad price and its collapsible.

Attachments

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

We have been running with the Snow Peak for about two years. Fantastic bit of gear. I've spent a small fortune on Snow Peak gear and it is worth the money.

The photo's below were taken in the Barrington Tops, Australia. We had the pit 8" deep with red hot Iron Bark coals. Iron Bark burns about as hot as you get and the Snow Peak had NO warping or degradationation.

The grill works very well.

One of my favourite bits of gear.

That is an awesome setup !

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

Oh this is giving me such ideas!

Better? Yeah, maybe but fun to build? That's what I'm after.
Getting it out of my head and into metal, now that's the challenge.

- Portable <must>
- Enviro-friendly <a benefit>
- Light-weight <if possible but don't count on it :yum: >
- Able to cook on it <yeah, now that's what I'm talking about >
- Won't have the ability to kill me <alright let's say that's important >
- Legs to be above the ground <is that a thing? not sure why >

Anything I'm missing?

*mind going down a rabbit hole...*

A job can be such a nuisance.
https://www.volcanogrills.com/volcano-3.html
this meets all of your requirements and is even legal in cali since its triple fuel capable