VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Hey guys not sure this is the right section to post but I’m doing some research in hopefully getting a pop up camper for my Silverado. I was wondering if you guys had any expierence with any of these. The first one I was looking at was the four wheel campers raven model because I have a 5’9 bed or any pop up camper similar. I’ve also been looking into go fast camper, vagabond camper, and the new company overland camper. The benefit to the four wheel camper is that it’s pretty much setup and ready to go. You can also remove it from the bed when not using it. But will be most costly compared to other types which are essentially truck toppers with built in pop up. The others I would have to build draws add a space for the fridge and do some electrical to have power. The benefit is that it can be pretty much customized anyway I would need. I was wondering if anyone had a pros and cons to either to consider. Thanks guys

Nebzy

Rank 0

Contributor I

Calgary, AB, Canada
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Neb
Hey guys not sure this is the right section to post but I’m doing some research in hopefully getting a pop up camper for my Silverado. I was wondering if you guys had any expierence with any of these. The first one I was looking at was the four wheel campers raven model because I have a 5’9 bed or any pop up camper similar. I’ve also been looking into go fast camper, vagabond camper, and the new company overland camper. The benefit to the four wheel camper is that it’s pretty much setup and ready to go. You can also remove it from the bed when not using it. But will be most costly compared to other types which are essentially truck toppers with built in pop up. The others I would have to build draws add a space for the fridge and do some electrical to have power. The benefit is that it can be pretty much customized anyway I would need. I was wondering if anyone had a pros and cons to either to consider. Thanks guys
Just wondering what you chose? I am exactly in the same dilemma right now. 2 year wait on both go fast and vagabond and am tentative to put a deposit on either.
Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Wow and they cost 11k for short bed. If i had my heart set on something like that id be learning a new skill and building one myself. Got me thinking now im going to have to figure out a diy price. I might be learning a new skill myself.

lonespin

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ymir, BC, Canada
First Name
Kean
Last Name
woodman
Wow and they cost 11k for short bed. If i had my heart set on something like that id be learning a new skill and building one myself. Got me thinking now im going to have to figure out a diy price. I might be learning a new skill myself.
buy a nice welder which you can sell when you're done, some tubing and away you go.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

buy a nice welder which you can sell when you're done, some tubing and away you go.
Already got welder and know how i think id cut cost though and make a wood aluminum hybrid frame. So far looking into it the fiberglass or aluminum siding would be the highest cost at around $400 windows $45 each. I havent looked much further

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
FWC are very expensive, and from what I saw at OEX East this year, their quality has gone down some. I noticed sharp, unfinished edges on door edging, seemed like they'd gotten... cheaper.

I saw an interesting player in this market called Snap Outfitters. Home - Snap Outfitters
They're located in York Haven, PA. The company owner was at the booth, I talked to him for a bit, super nice guy, willing to build you what you want.

They seemed to be pretty well built, have some decent options, and if you believe their literature, only an 8 week lead time.
One of their versions weighs 340 lbs, not sure it's the full-size version but that's a lot lighter than the lightest FWC.

Treehouse1.JPG

I've seen the ho-made ones, I'll buy one before I attempt to build one.
And because these are so popular right now, I don't think it will be too long before used ones start "popping up" (sorry) on the market.

Look at AluCab also, but they are 2x expensive than the Snap Outfitters.

Dan.

lonespin

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ymir, BC, Canada
First Name
Kean
Last Name
woodman
FWC are very expensive, and from what I saw at OEX East this year, their quality has gone down some. I noticed sharp, unfinished edges on door edging, seemed like they'd gotten... cheaper.

I saw an interesting player in this market called Snap Outfitters. Home - Snap Outfitters
They're located in York Haven, PA. The company owner was at the booth, I talked to him for a bit, super nice guy, willing to build you what you want.

They seemed to be pretty well built, have some decent options, and if you believe their literature, only an 8 week lead time.
One of their versions weighs 340 lbs, not sure it's the full-size version but that's a lot lighter than the lightest FWC.

View attachment 124458

I've seen the ho-made ones, I'll buy one before I attempt to build one.
And because these are so popular right now, I don't think it will be too long before used ones start "popping up" (sorry) on the market.

Look at AluCab also, but they are 2x expensive than the Snap Outfitters.

Dan.
what brand is that on the tundra?

lonespin

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ymir, BC, Canada
First Name
Kean
Last Name
woodman
That's actually a really nice option for a pop-up.

How do you like the space in the back seat of the cab? Comfortable and room enough for small adults?
its huge no shortage of space. I couldn't find a decent camper anywhere, so I had to go with this one, it was brand new and really inexpensive compared to anything else out there, really had no choice .I like it so far.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I know plenty of guys with Pop top campers, they are the preferred campers in Baja for surfers. The nicest and best unit I saw was a Phoenix out of denver. They are all pretty much the same, good room inside some have a oven to. I am thinking about one myself.