First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
Hey all,

Does anyone here play music in their campsite? I specifically mean playing an instrument.

What do you play? Any songs you are good at? What do you want to learn how to play?

I'm currently learning banjo, though I also know a bit of Ukulele. I'm learning Bluegrass banjo right now, but I am working to get into Irish banjo after that.

I did band in middle school, played trumpet, trombone and tuba, but fell out of it because of the teacher (really pushy and took all the fun out of it). I am only now getting back into music, despite it being a love and life-long goal of mine.

Reactions: PatriotT4R

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I actually picked up a Ukulele recently and that was part of it. Smallish instrument I can stash in the rig. I've never played a string instrument before (Played Coronet in grade school and JR high) so, It's slow going....

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
I actually picked up a Ukulele recently and that was part of it. Smallish instrument I can stash in the rig. I've never played a string instrument before (Played Coronet in grade school and JR high) so, It's slow going....
That's exactly why I got the Ukulele, the size makes it perfect for camping. The hardest part I struggled with was getting the strum down, it was really hard for me to learn that on YouTube. Now I can play a few songs, but I can't sing worth anything while playing or I'll screw it all up

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I've found different YouTube persons give different value. I've got a note pad with cord fingerings drawn out and the chord order written in my minds way. Seems to help. Still, not singing and attempting to play the song at the same time yet. I'm sure starting this with a dried up 41 year Old's brain isn't helping.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
One of the guys I used to backpack with carried a set of small bagpipes. They were Mediterranean pipes so they only had one drone. Very cool instrument, they at once sounded exactly like and nothing like Scottish pipes...

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
One of the guys I used to backpack with carried a set of small bagpipes. They were Mediterranean pipes so they only had one drone. Very cool instrument, they at once sounded exactly like and nothing like Scottish pipes...
Now that is something I'd love to hear.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Now that is something I'd love to hear.
at 2:26 in this song theres a solo of this type of bag pipe. Otherwise its kinda camouflaged by the hurdygurdy as they are similar tones. Also I have no knowledge of this band, I just looked around for one with a Mediterranean bad pipe, lol.

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
I have a ukulele that I occasionally take out and try to strum around on (still very much trying to figure it out). It mostly happens when I want to annoy those around me. :-)

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
I presently have zero musical ability, but I keep thinking it would be awesome to learn to play the bodhran. That would be fun times out at camp.
Whoa boy, that is now going on my list of instruments. My banjo goals are Irish pub songs, particularly those out of "The Troubles". If you pick the bodhran up, maybe we will play together at some future OB Off-Grid event!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Whoa boy, that is now going on my list of instruments. My banjo goals are Irish pub songs, particularly those out of "The Troubles". If you pick the bodhran up, maybe we will play together at some future OB Off-Grid event!
That would be awesome :D

I have some parental leave coming up. My first chunk of it was crazy busy, but maybe I can try to find a local teacher this go round.

At least I can sing fairly decently and I know a ton of Irish and Scottish songs as well as sea shanties.

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
That would be awesome :D

I have some parental leave coming up. My first chunk of it was crazy busy, but maybe I can try to find a local teacher this go round.

At least I can sing fairly decently and I know a ton of Irish and Scottish songs as well as sea shanties.
I have many Celtic and sea shanties songs I can sing too! Though I can't sing and play at the same time. I'm hoping to get there. I say go for it, someone has got to teach it, skype music sessions are really growing in popularity.

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

I have no music ability so much so that I won't even sing in the truck alone ... I could be in the middle of the wilderness by myself and still wouldn't sing ... I care about nature and to put all the poor animals through my non-singing abilities would just be wrong! However, I think its pretty awesome at a campsite when someone just breaks out an instrument and starts to sing ... its relaxing and fun to watch & listen too, especially when they can actually sing.

Reactions: billiardspintail

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
I have a ukulele that I occasionally take out and try to strum around on (still very much trying to figure it out). It mostly happens when I want to annoy those around me. :-)
Ukuleles are super fun instruments and are nice and small, so great for kit packing. I bring mine everywhere, though I can only play one song well lol

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I'm guessing most of you guys are a lot younger than me (I grew up in the 60's and 70's). In those days, it seems like we all played guitar and I always brought a guitar (acoustic) on my travels. I still play guitar but I don't bring them along anymore. A dreadnought takes up too much room and I can't justify the cost of buying a travel sized acoustic that can hack the heat and cold.

Reactions: billiardspintail

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I don't play or listen to any music in camp, however if someone plays some music I won't be bothered as long as it's relatively quiet (so I can still have a conversation with someone, and so it's not annoying) and is done at a decent hour. If it's just me, there's nothing, I like listening to the sound of nature.

Reactions: CSG

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
I don't play or listen to any music in camp, however if someone plays some music I won't be bothered as long as it's relatively quiet (so I can still have a conversation with someone, and so it's not annoying) and is done at a decent hour. If it's just me, there's nothing, I like listening to the sound of nature.
I like listening to nature too. The music I've played around the campfire is usually loud enough to hear, but people can talk during it. I don't want to make myself the forced center of attention, and let people enjoy their own time.

Reactions: toxicity_27