Planning: Georgia to Maine, Summer 2017

• HTML tutorial

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

We have a similar plan we came up with early last year, to run the Appalachian Mountains from Georgia to Maine. We ended up figuring out that the trip was too ambitious to complete in two weeks. We did the southern half in July 15 starting in north Georgia and running up to Gettysburg by way of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. We took one day off in NC to ride the Smoky Mountain Railroad and visit the NOC. It took us six days to do the Parkway and Skyline, that included an hour or so each day to put in some hiking. Even with taking six days we felt rushed and knew we had missed a lot of cool stuff. From the Skyline we headed to Harpers Ferry (ATC) then up to Gettysburg just in time to hit the last tour bus of the day. The next morning we turned south and followed the coast to Yorktown to Kitty Hawk and Roanoke Island with a day in Charleston (Charles town).

I certainly do not want to discourage you from taking this trip, it is such a ridiculously cool trip. In fact, the wife is bugging me about completing the northern half of the trip next year. I can't blame her, I want to visit Mt. Washington as well. My point is, trying to do the Georgia to Maine trip in two weeks is going to be more of a race than exploration. Take your time and enjoy it.

Reactions: Barton Fink

bajatacoguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portsmouth NH
First Name
John
Last Name
Lomastro
Member #

Food in RI - http://www.iggysdoughboys.com/ (Narragansett Location) & http://dels.com/ (you will see a truck) after your chowder & clam cakes (be sure to get clam cakes TRUST ME). Both are quick stops to keep you moving but are on the ocean.

Food in NH - Just stop in Portsmouth TONs of food - The Thirsty Moose has 178 draft beer option JUST SAYIN! Mombo, Moxy, Gas Light (Great Pizza), Brazo, Cafe Mediterraneo are all good...

Fun in NH - Prescott Park in Portsmouth NH always has kid friendly events so be sure to check out the calendar as it gets closer (2017 summer is not updated). Conway NH also has tons to do for kids... cart rides down mountains.. train rides.. zip lines... Hot Air Balloon rides.

Food in ME - make sure you stop in Portland (Old Port) in 2016 Portland was second to SF for best restaurants in the US! Street Restaurant is my favorite! Also The Great Lost Bear has 150 draft beer options & a web cam.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Along the parkway:

Blowing Rock, NC
Take a bit and check out Tweetsie Railroad. It's a working steam railway around the mountain with some live shows, rides, and some little shops. It was something we did growing up in the area and holds a lot of fond memories for my brother and myself. I still take my kids there occasionally and being a steam head, love riding the old train around the mountain.

Galax, Virginia:
Galax Smoke House: Good local BBQ
Creek Bottom Brews: Local and national beer with wood fired pizza, smoked wings, and an amazing bowl of chili.
Jeff Matthews Museum: It was neat when I was young and has some local history for the area.
Closer to Hillsville is Harmon's Outlet western store, and they also have a free museum in the back of the store with some other local history and also a picture of my brother taken in the 1800's. No kidding, the guys looks EXACTLY like my little brother, even shares a name with him. My Dad also saw the bulldog calf in it's few hours of life, he grew up near where it was born and the guy who owned it was a friend of my Grandpa and called him to come see it when it was born.

Mt Airy, NC: A little off the Parkway, but this is the home of Andy Griffith, and there are tours you can take of the area and also some good food in the area. You might look into it.

Meadows of Dan, Virginia:
Mabry Mill: Neat old water mill with some exhibts and a restaurant and gift shop. We used to go there occasionally growing up.
Nancy's Candy Company: Locally made candy shop. Not good for your blood sugar or wallet, but an awesome place for some sweets!

Roanoke, Virginia:
Mac and Bob's Restaurant in Salem: Great family atmosphere with awesome food and a great beer selection.
Corned Beef and Co: AMAZING Ruben sandwich, kind of a night life joint so try to get there before 7-8 if you want to avoid that. Parking close by or street parking depending on time of day.
Science Museum of Western Va: Haven't been in years, been intending to take the kids, but haven't.
Roanoke Star and Mill Mountain Zoo: Not a huge zoo but might make for some good leg stretching and there's an overlook at the star. Kinda neat to go up when the star is lit a night too.
Virginia Museum of Transportation: Old steam engines, cars and all things travel related.

Lexington, Va:
Hull's Drive-in: If you are through on a Friday or Saturday, there is a working drive in theater that generally shows good new release movies. We take the kids a couple times each summer and it's always a good time, if you're in the first two rows (in our experience).
Palm's Restaurant: Neat little local joint, usually a good place in the summer when the college kids aren't around.

Afton, Va:
Blue Mountain Brewery: Never been here myself, but it's spoken of very highly by a good friend I trust. I'm going there this summer. Don't be suckered in to going to the Devil's Backbone brewery near by. Expensive, mediocre food and just not a good time at all...

My wife grew up around Harrisonburg, Va, so I'll pick her brain about stuff in that area when I get a chance. Hope these help and I'm not far from Roanoke, Va, so shoot me a message and I'll give you what tips I can about other stuff around here and some possible campsites and such.