Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Sorry for the delay - life interrupted. No, I have not been to the Oakmulgee District before. I was just looking on Gaia though and it looks like there are tons of trails to explore. I just saved a loop out 743 and back on 742 for when we are able to get down there. What is that crossing like? Just a little brook or do you have to wade?
Thank you! After writing the above reply, I decided to go over to TNF and try out 742. Boy, am I glad I did. Lots of different terrain and some fun hills - see the first photo below, which was taken near the middle, where the map shows the light connector between north and south. I did use 4x4, but not low. Even with street tires, I had no issues. This may be my new favorite road in Oakmulgee. Maybe one day I’ll figure out how to rotate the image. This is 2020 and no online option to rotate?

E21176D6-911D-4092-BC3C-BC6980941C1A.jpeg

I also went down 743 to check out the creek on the north end. It seemed lower than last time, which surprised me. Anyway, it was an easy cross.

View attachment trim.5F253B5D-A571-4A44-9A3C-4DD3D747DD3B.MOV

• Love
Reactions: LanceK

Jackn123

Rank IV

Advocate III

Birmingham, AL, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Noble
Member #

Thank you! After writing the above reply, I decided to go over to TNF and try out 742. Boy, am I glad I did. Lots of different terrain and some fun hills - see the first photo below, which was taken near the middle, where the map shows the light connector between north and south. I did use 4x4, but not low. Even with street tires, I had no issues. This may be my new favorite road in Oakmulgee. Maybe one day I’ll figure out how to rotate the image. This is 2020 and no online option to rotate?

View attachment 168717

I also went down 743 to check out the creek on the north end. It seemed lower than last time, which surprised me. Anyway, it was an easy cross.

View attachment 168719
Steve, you're the man. Looks like a great time, and I'm glad to hear that my planned route should actually work! I'm always anxious planning a route for the first time with the kids with me - always has the potential for a dead end or a closed gate that can really take the wind out of everyone's sails. I'm really looking forward to getting down there soon now!

We did a little hiking at Red Mountain Park today and had a blast - until we got caught in a downpour!

We are thinking of taking off Friday and stopping through TNF on the way down to Lake Martin next weekend for the Labor Day weekend. I'll take notes if we get up to anything fun.

Reactions: Tundracamper

LanceK

Rank V

Advocate II

Foley, Alabama 36535, United States
First Name
Lance
Last Name
Kindley
Member #

This has turned out to be quite amusing. It seems I actually camped at Lake Tallaseehatche just this past April. What confused me was that FS Road 601 was closed at the time, so I didn’t go past that lake. Great camping spot, except for the young folks that showed up at midnight to build a bonfire down near the boat ramp. I think they were avoiding the quarantine:). Very pretty area.

View attachment 167906View attachment 167907View attachment 167908
That is a beautiful site! I appreciate your photos.

Reactions: Tundracamper

LanceK

Rank V

Advocate II

Foley, Alabama 36535, United States
First Name
Lance
Last Name
Kindley
Member #

View attachment 168717

View attachment 168719

Hey Tundracamper

Enjoyed your video. I was wondering if I could just use a video from my cell phone and it looks like your post is my answer. Are you limited by size of the video?I do appreciate your information you have posted on Talladega NF. These are areas that I could get to for a weekend adventure. We will need to get together. I have family in Tuscaloosa.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Have you guys thought about having a Rally Point Meetup or Trip?

I need to make a trip to S. AL to visit fam in the next several months. It would be great to hit an event whilst back in the hood.

Jackn123

Rank IV

Advocate III

Birmingham, AL, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Noble
Member #

Hello all,
I'm realizing that I didn't follow up on this thread after we took some trips. We've now gone down to TNF maybe 3x and did wind up going down to the Oakmulgee district near Tuscaloosa that @Tundracamper suggested. Visited the south side of Bankhead for a bit of hiking too. Also, we've now been up to the Blue Ridge GA area 2x and are going back this coming weekend for a long weekend. My kids are still too young to do overnight camping, but I've flagged a few possible camp sites around various trails that we have explored. Happy to post up some info if anyone has any questions in the future.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hello all,
I'm realizing that I didn't follow up on this thread after we took some trips. We've now gone down to TNF maybe 3x and did wind up going down to the Oakmulgee district near Tuscaloosa that @Tundracamper suggested. Visited the south side of Bankhead for a bit of hiking too. Also, we've now been up to the Blue Ridge GA area 2x and are going back this coming weekend for a long weekend. My kids are still too young to do overnight camping, but I've flagged a few possible camp sites around various trails that we have explored. Happy to post up some info if anyone has any questions in the future.
Jack,

Please consider putting those camp sites on the Overland Bound One app map for others to enjoy. GPX tracks are great too. Lemme know if you need any help.

-neal

Jackn123

Rank IV

Advocate III

Birmingham, AL, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Noble
Member #

Jack,

Please consider putting those camp sites on the Overland Bound One app map for others to enjoy. GPX tracks are great too. Lemme know if you need any help.

-neal
Happily! Just checked out the map and I see now how I can add campsites. I'll try to make note of some places in N Georgia this weekend too.