PINS (Padre Island Nat'l Seashore) May 11-13, 2018

• HTML tutorial

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

We are planning a trip to Padre Island National Seashore (PINS) Friday May 11 through Sunday May 13. This is Mother's Day weekend fyi. This is a barrier island that runs 60 miles (120+ round trip) in one direction down to the Port Mansfield pass. This is primitive barrier island beach camping so be prepared to provide for yourself anything you may need for two nights on a beach with no power or running water. Here is a link to their website for further info: https://www.nps.gov/pais/index.htm

We will be meeting at the park entrance no later than 1330 hours (1:30P.M.) on Friday May 11, 2018. Once we have payed our entrance fees ($10 per vehicle) we will then traverse south to at least the 30 mile marker to make camp for evening (this distance could be extended or shortened depending on schedule/time and weather/conditions). We plan to head down the remaining stretch of beach to the Port Mansfield Pass cut where we will make camp for night two (Saturday May 12th). We plan to surf fish, grill and hang out for the evening. We will return promptly Sunday morning after breakfast. The return trip will take 3+ hours on Sunday so plan accordingly for your departure.

I will be driving the Power Wagon, my buddy has a nicely built 4Runner Trail and we might have a third in a Tundra. Two of the vehicles have winches should we need to recover anyone, but in my past trips/experiences, this has never been the case. Traction devices like MaxTrax would be beneficial on this trip. The beach and its conditions changes with the tide/storms, I have not been down there since the fall of 2014 so I am not sure what we might encounter. Sections of the beach are rather soft and require decent speed to traverse them. A stock 4wd vehicle can cover this entire trip so a heavily modded 4x4 is not necessary.

This is not a sanctioned event, it is simply a few buddies making the trip for the weekend and I am extending the invite to anyone who might want to join us. You are responsible for yourself, this includes your consumables (food, water, shelter, fuel, etc.) and your vehicles ability to cover this terrain. We are more than willing to help with recovery should it be needed, but I will not be legally or physically responsible for you, your passengers, or your belongings.

If you plan to attend please reply to this thread and I'll reach out in order to establish contact info for further planning and communication. I look forward to possibly meeting some of you on this trip!

Bob (Fishingbob)

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aransas Pass, Texas
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Burton
Member #

Will be a great run, I've been down there many times with my jeep, both South to Port Mansfield and North from South Padre to the cut. Sounds like you have the knowledge of the area and conditions. Definitely prepare for expose to wind, lots of sun (sun protection!!)and watch the tides-running the beach is usually easy, running in the loose stuff with deep lines up close to the dunes can be challenging sometimes. Winds down here are usually SSE pushing the waves up the beach even further at high tides. Last trip in January was great except for the heavy frontal winds that came up in the night. Fishing can be fantastic at the Jetty and towards Port Mansfield if you have a kayak.
I wish I could make the trip with you guys, I am heading out to Northern New Mexico, and Colorado for six months of camping, fishing, hiking and whatever. Will be back October 1st. Let me know if your planning another trip to the area, I live in Aransas Pass and would glad to meet up with you guys. Have a safe trip-

Reactions: Tex68w

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

Will be a great run, I've been down there many times with my jeep, both South to Port Mansfield and North from South Padre to the cut. Sounds like you have the knowledge of the area and conditions. Definitely prepare for expose to wind, lots of sun (sun protection!!)and watch the tides-running the beach is usually easy, running in the loose stuff with deep lines up close to the dunes can be challenging sometimes. Winds down here are usually SSE pushing the waves up the beach even further at high tides. Last trip in January was great except for the heavy frontal winds that came up in the night. Fishing can be fantastic at the Jetty and towards Port Mansfield if you have a kayak.
I wish I could make the trip with you guys, I am heading out to Northern New Mexico, and Colorado for six months of camping, fishing, hiking and whatever. Will be back October 1st. Let me know if your planning another trip to the area, I live in Aransas Pass and would glad to meet up with you guys. Have a safe trip-
Thanks for the reply Bob, very insightful info added. While I have done the trip south to Mansfield cut and back many times, I have never done the southern stretch from SPI up to Mansfield, maybe we can plan to do that portion in the fall when you return? Safe travels on your trip out west, very jealous!!!