Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
This is a great idea. I currently only use my cell phone for pics but, sometime soon i'd like to get a higher quality camera since we are starting to travel more and will be even more as my boys get older.
I was a commercial still photographer for 18 years. My first digital camera was a Kodak DCS 460. It was $60k, shot only ISO 80, an the images were 6.2 megapixels. I quess I'm just trying to say, don't take your cell phone camera for granted ;-)

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

I was a commercial still photographer for 18 years. My first digital camera was a Kodak DCS 460. It was $60k, shot only ISO 80, an the images were 6.2 megapixels. I quess I'm just trying to say, don't take your cell phone camera for granted ;-)
That was the best thing I have watched all day.
Shot professionally in the 80s, but auto racing pulled me into a different career path in the 90s. Clients included Warn Industries, Subaru, Ford, Volvo-White, other automotive stuff.... shot film, 8x10, 4x5, 120 and 35mm. Sold the Sinars, Hasselblads and Canon F2ns to fund the racing and because they were just sitting there. Finally picked up a digital (Canon 20d ) and dabbled a little. I now carry (everywhere) the 20d because it isn't worth anything, a G11 and a 6d full frame...and my iPhone. My collection of lens keeps growing. 16-35 L 2.8, 24-105 L 4 IS, 70-200 L 2.8 IS II and my new favorite 100-400 L 4.5 IS II. Now I just need to learn how to store all the images I shoot. I'm not the most organized individual and always had assistants and lab rats to do that stuff. Post production is not my specialty. Just this past month I started organizing a new catalog in Lightroom and now I can't get LR to find it. Time to call in a professional...

I shoot mostly for my business website and weekly newsletter. Also started a new blog for my life after fly shop transition and non-fishing adventures. Haven't really printed any art pieces since the local Cibachrome printing place closed. I'm hoping to rekindle the passion and figure out the digital deal. I use to love to walk around the locations I shot at and do my own stuff on the 35mm. Momma don't take my Kodachrome away... too late.

Here's a couple images from a fishing trip to the Deschutes this week and a few favorites from other trips this year.

.View attachment 7924
Rock Dragon plays with the Moon

View attachment 7925
Warm Springs Indian Ponies

View attachment 7926
Blitzen River

View attachment 7927 View attachment 7928
San Felipe, Yucatan

View attachment 7929
Pacific City

View attachment 7930
Whistler, BC

View attachment 7933
Hope to see you on the trail. Cheers

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Shot professionally in the 80s, but auto racing pulled me into a different career path in the 90s. Clients included Warn Industries, Subaru, Ford, Volvo-White, other automotive stuff.... shot film, 8x10, 4x5, 120 and 35mm. Sold the Sinars, Hasselblads and Canon F2ns to fund the racing and because they were just sitting there. Finally picked up a digital (Canon 20d ) and dabbled a little. I now carry (everywhere) the 20d because it isn't worth anything, a G11 and a 6d full frame...and my iPhone. My collection of lens keeps growing. 16-35 L 2.8, 24-105 L 4 IS, 70-200 L 2.8 IS II and my new favorite 100-400 L 4.5 IS II. Now I just need to learn how to store all the images I shoot. I'm not the most organized individual and always had assistants and lab rats to do that stuff. Post production is not my specialty. Just this past month I started organizing a new catalog in Lightroom and now I can't get LR to find it. Time to call in a professional...

I shoot mostly for my business website and weekly newsletter. Also started a new blog for my life after fly shop transition and non-fishing adventures. Haven't really printed any art pieces since the local Cibachrome printing place closed. I'm hoping to rekindle the passion and figure out the digital deal. I use to love to walk around the locations I shot at and do my own stuff on the 35mm. Momma don't take my Kodachrome away... too late.

Here's a couple images from a fishing trip to the Deschutes this week and a few favorites from other trips this year.

.View attachment 7924
Rock Dragon plays with the Moon

View attachment 7925
Warm Springs Indian Ponies

View attachment 7926
Blitzen River

View attachment 7927 View attachment 7928
San Felipe, Yucatan

View attachment 7929
Pacific City

View attachment 7930
Whistler, BC

View attachment 7933
Hope to see you on the trail. Cheers
You and I have led parallel lives! I had a Sinar, Hasselblads, Fuji 680, but I ran Nikons. I shot for Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and lots of aftermarket companies. Also raced cars :-)
RACECAR.jpg

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

You and I have led parallel lives! I had a Sinar, Hasselblads, Fuji 680, but I ran Nikons. I shot for Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and lots of aftermarket companies. Also raced cars :-)
View attachment 9625
If you fly fish I'm freaking out... my first ride was this little Rabbit. 19 bunnies in class here in PDX. The Bunny Bash was the group to run in if you wanted to learn to race. Never was beat by another Rabbit... but a few Golfs could nip me at the line on the straightaway. Rabbit had the aero of a brick... Toyota gave me my second car, a Paseo, and I ended my racing career with 6 straight wins in class. Fun stuff. My wife drove too and she was a member of the PPG CART/IndyCar Pace Car Team. We got to hang out with all the heroes of the day at some very cool tracks. Good times for sure.

Putting on the belts.jpg Turn 9.jpg Race Two.jpg

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
If you fly fish I'm freaking out... my first ride was this little Rabbit. 19 bunnies in class here in PDX. The Bunny Bash was the group to run in if you wanted to learn to race. Never was beat by another Rabbit... but a few Golfs could nip me at the line on the straightaway. Rabbit had the aero of a brick... Toyota gave me my second car, a Paseo, and I ended my racing career with 6 straight wins in class. Fun stuff. My wife drove too and she was a member of the PPG CART/IndyCar Pace Car Team. We got to hang out with all the heroes of the day at some very cool tracks. Good times for sure.

View attachment 9629 View attachment 9630 View attachment 9631
I started out running Autocross in a Datsun 510. Ended up in a Spec Series called "Baby Grand". It was a 5/8 scale Winston Cup car. Tubular chassis. One piece Fiberglas body. FJ1100 Yamaha motorcycle engine. I ran Willow Srings, Laguna Seca, and Sears Point. I was even the first car to drive the tri-oval in Vegas (demonstration for investors).

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

I started out running Autocross in a Datsun 510. Ended up in a Spec Series called "Baby Grand". It was a 5/8 scale Winston Cup car. Tubular chassis. One piece Fiberglas body. FJ1100 Yamaha motorcycle engine. I ran Willow Srings, Laguna Seca, and Sears Point. I was even the first car to drive the tri-oval in Vegas (demonstration for investors).
I wheeled a Baby Grand once around the road course for a test session. Decided to stick with door slammers. Felt too much like a Vienna sausage..... Better add a photo or two here to keep this thread legit....

San Philipe Yucatan
Yucatan-2190.jpg Yucatan-2185.jpg Yucatan-2226.jpgYucatan-2214.jpg

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Good, and thanks... I'm curious what our resident pro WUzombies thinks of the Rokinon 14mm 2.8 lens. I figured out after our last trip that my old a300 just doesn't do it justice. Here are two images, the first, the tub of pine cones, was the 2nd shot I ever took with this lens. The second was taken in Big Bend 3 months later. Needless to say, I'm still learning to use it. View attachment 6289 View attachment 6290
Sorry I've been away from this thread for a while and didn't see this post.

Rokinon lenses have become popular for the video crowd, many of the lenses being available with geared zoom and focus rings for video rigs. Only recently have they offered autofocus lenses, some of their other/older lenses that were manual focus only tested OK compared to other options in the same category. However, for the price it is easier to put up with some odd quirks. I'd rather shop used lenses of a higher quality than buy a new Rokinon, but that's my personal perspective.

The bottom photo, is that from Terlingua Abajo off of Old Mavick Road in Big Bend?

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Here are a couple from our big trip this June. We hit the Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Arches and Mesa Verde over three weeks and frankly it's nearly impossible to take good photos in locations like those! Although the selfie-stick wars in Yellowstone with the herds of full sized tour buses was annoying.

F8Industries-AdventureWebSized-05.jpg F8Industries-AdventureWebSized-07.jpg F8Industries-AdventureWebSized-31.jpg F8Industries-AdventureWebSized-61.jpg

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

That old car was near the Mariscal Mercury Mines, just off Talley rd.
I forgot about that one. Boy do I love me some Big Bend, we're headed back over New Years to take the kids on the South Rim for an overnight backpacking venture. If we're lucky we'll be able to base camp down in the Pine Canyon sites.

Since this is a photo thread this is "Four Fingers Until Sunset" a self portrait in the Basin over the Window.

F8Industries-AdventureWebSized-01.jpg

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We are planning a trip for 6 weeks next April. So far, back packing into the Painted Desert is our first stop, on to Moab, Grand Staircase, Death Valley, Redwood NP, then on up 101 to the Olympic Peninsula, then head home. I'm attempting to include Big Bend as our first stop, but I'm also thinking blowing thru for three days isn't enough. We camped at Elephant Tusk for 3 nights last March and explored from there on foot, and wheelin around. It seems to me, just like most of our larger NPs that another 3 days just won't do it justice, so we may save it till late 2017 and spend a full week there. Here are a couple of images taken from the campsite. In the second photo if one looks closely, our campsite is visible. We had the entire basin all to ourselves.. DSC02870.jpg IMG_2834.jpg DSC02956.jpg

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I'm attempting to include Big Bend as our first stop, but I'm also thinking blowing thru for three days isn't enough.
I've spent about 30 days in the park and I haven't come close to seeing it all. :grimacing:

Three days would give you a "highlights" tour, hit Santa Elena, Lost Mine, The Window, Cattail Falls, Hot Springs and the various scenic overlooks, but if you want to see some of the really neat backcountry stuff along the primitive/unimproved roads then you won't see much. You might be able to squeeze in Ernst Tijana or the mine. A full week and you can hit the highlights and still spend a couple of days off pavement and maybe swing out to Big Bend Ranch State Park and Terilingua to enjoy sunset drinking a tasty beverage at the Starlight.

All the neat parks seem to require lifetimes to see and experience all that there is to offer. Even then a single lifetime may not be enough either.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We stayed at the Chisos Mining Company, ate at the tiny Mexican restaurant then on the porch at the motel shared more than a few libations with Frank Armstrong and his cadre of fellow photographers. A night to remember as Frank was a plethora of knowledge, about Big Bend and photography... My other half and I have decided to go back but spend a lot more than 3 days there backpacking and hitting the two tracks.