Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

So any suggestions for a second hand Newby camera and maybe programs to edit if needed again for newby/dohdoh
A basic camera body that you can upgrade your glass on will last you longer than you think. Like a few others have stated, the lenses make a much greater impact on your images than the body. I use Gimp. It functions pretty much the same as Photoshop but because it is open source it's free. When Photoshop went to its new monthly payment model I dropped it like a hot potato. I'm not making money on my photography so I refuse to pay a lot to do it.
Remember, all of the classic photos that were taken many years ago were all taken on what is now outdated equipment. It's not about the 5000 dollar camera body. It's about learning and using the basics and understanding how your camera works. Have fun out there.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

Let me throw in on this but don't laugh. Fuji XP. The majority of our pictures are either out the window at what ever speed or while hiking. We wanted something that can handle being in the cupholder on the trail or getting rained on while on the trail. The copilot takes most of the pictures but I do get a chance once in a while when hiking.

P.S. On Jeep's website they have a picture of our (well, not exactly our's) camera in the Wrangler console. If its good enough for Jeep . . .

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I bought a GoPro Hero 4 earlier this year. Still playing with it. I don't have any display yet that can do 4K. Bought a GeekPro for comparison and am very impressed for all up to 1080P/30. Very inexpensive sports cam. Realized I need better glass than 140 degree fish-eye and picked up a Nikon LX840. Yes it is a compromise, but for the price break and the lens range I have been very happy.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
Way back when I started with Canon cameras. Now I use a Nikon D200 however. Have had it a few years now. Love it though there are times it would be nice to have a smaller setup while traveling.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Side note, a D800 I own suffered a shutter failure. It went into error mode, locked up the mirror and prevented any more shots to prevent any further damage. Not a bad error fault design, really reasonable from an engineering standpoint. Anyways in slightly less than two weeks the camera was sent to Nikon and returned with a new shutter mechanism, new front body, all new rubber pieces, completely cleaned and looking nearly brand new again for $256 (with shipping). You can't beat that turn around and price! It was scary for those two weeks as I had a number of paid gigs and was down to a single camera body. I loathe arriving to any paid photography gig with a single camera body, if it fails then I'm SOL. The other old Nikon bodies I have laying around weren't really up to snuff for paid gigs, so I'm really happy to have my camera back just in time for a cover shoot tonight!

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
WUzombies, it is great to hear that their customer service is so quick. I haven't had to use them and hopefully won't have to anytime soon. It is still nice to hear about a fast turnaround time with good workmanship.

Reactions: WUzombies

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

I'm not a big fan of all-in-one zooms because every lens is a compromise. Prime lenses are compromises in aperture use. Zoom lenses are compromises in zoom and aperture. More focal length ranges a zoom lens has, the more of a compromise it took to make it all work well. For my money I'd spend the money for two good lenses to cover the spread from 18-55 and 55-200/300. Sigma makes some DX lenses that are absolutely incredible, the 18-35 lens they releases a while back is staggeringly good. The most important purchase you make for your camera is the glass. A $50,000 medium format camera body will suck with bad glass, a $200 used D3000 will sing with good glass.
Now, I'm definitely not a professional so please consider this with that in mind...
I'm a big fan of carrying as little camera gear as possible to get the job done when I'm out and about. I have a 70-300, a 50mm, and an 18-125 - but if I can do it all (or most of it, at least) with one lens, then that's a compromise I can live with. That's why I got the 18-200. The fewer times I change lenses and open up the camera, the cleaner it will stay... and the less I'll be carrying with me. I can't afford a lens for every situation - nor can I afford the space they take up in a backpack or canoe. (I don't feel the bulk and weight the same way when in the Jeep, so I will bring some extra stuff on those occasions.) While I understand it for a professional - and love the quality of shots that can be captured - it's not feasible for me. This is a set-up I'll actually take with me and use. Better than leaving it at home and relying solely on my cell phone's camera.

That being said, I still want a wide angle zoom lens... I'd make a space for it! :tonguewink:

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I'm willing to schlep heavier lenses for the benefit of the photo. Everyone has a different level of expectations from their photographs. For some a cellphone shot is all they would ever care to have. For others they scoff at the very idea of doing anything without a large field camera and plate film. :grin:

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I'm willing to schlep heavier lenses for the benefit of the photo. Everyone has a different level of expectations from their photographs. For some a cellphone shot is all they would ever care to have. For others they scoff at the very idea of doing anything without a large field camera and plate film. :grin:
A long time ago....in a photog class far far away, I helped a more advanced student develop a 8 x 10 positive of a still art display he had set up. The colors were magnificent! A week or two later we made contact prints from it.
Those were the days...

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Side note, a D800 I own suffered a shutter failure. It went into error mode, locked up the mirror and prevented any more shots to prevent any further damage. Not a bad error fault design, really reasonable from an engineering standpoint. Anyways in slightly less than two weeks the camera was sent to Nikon and returned with a new shutter mechanism, new front body, all new rubber pieces, completely cleaned and looking nearly brand new again for $256 (with shipping). You can't beat that turn around and price! It was scary for those two weeks as I had a number of paid gigs and was down to a single camera body. I loathe arriving to any paid photography gig with a single camera body, if it fails then I'm SOL. The other old Nikon bodies I have laying around weren't really up to snuff for paid gigs, so I'm really happy to have my camera back just in time for a cover shoot tonight!
This is good to know! I need to send in my D5000 for a new SD card cover and some hot pixel issues. Beats buying a new one! Although, something with higher video quality would be fun... *right hand slaps left hand reaching for credit card*

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I've got the D5500 and the lens that came with it, 18-55 I believe. Any tips for a newbie? I want to get out of auto mode, but I don't know what settings I should use etc.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

@binsfejo, A good place to start is with a basic lesson (youtube has a plethora of videos). You are going to want to understand the basics of Aperture, ISO and Shutter speed (to start with). You most likely won't mess with the ISO much but it is important to understand it's effects, both positive and negative, on a photo. Aperture and shutter speed are probably going to be what you experiment with the most. Being a digital camera, don't feel like you need to get the perfect shot in one take. Take a couple shots, adjust your settings, take a couple more of the same thing and repeat. The beautiful thing is, your camera can save the exposure data so you know what worked and didn't.

One more concept, the histogram. Understand why it is such a great tool, and it will help you achieve great exposures. There are a thousand things to say about what that camera can do and how to use all of it to your advantage but I don't want to overwhelm you with all of it. The basics of photography apply and are a good starting point. Get comfortable with the concepts and don't be afraid to be adventurous.

Those are just some things from a camera standpoint. There are other concepts that are much more photography / art related. Things like the rule of thirds, leading lines, the list is almost a mile long.

Reactions: deeker

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I have a D90. I'd love to go full frame at some point. The body is just ok, but it is my glass that I love.

I have a fairly cheap Sigma 30mm f1.4. Great walk around lens.

Then there is my Nikkor 70-200 F2.8 VR2. My wife spoils me. It is pretty heavy and big, but the shots I can get with it are stunning.

For example. Saw a humming bird outside. Didn't go outside. Grabbed the camera, turned it on, and shot this through my dirty office window!

Same thing happened here: (although to me this looks sharpened a bit more than it was out of camera.. i pulled it off facebook because im too lazy to find the original). This was also through a dirty window at a pretty big angle from the glass. wtf!

They are both NOT great shots... but they both show just how idiot proof a huge piece of fast glass with VR2 can be. Literally grabbed the camera and shot with no real thought put into settings or composition.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Anyways in slightly less than two weeks the camera was sent to Nikon and returned with a new shutter mechanism, new front body, all new rubber pieces, completely cleaned and looking nearly brand new again for $256 (with shipping).
That's a great price! I just got my busted DX 18-200mm VR zoom back from Nikon service. It has a new VR mechanism, checked and cleaned zoom, cleaned glass, etc. for $215 including shipping both ways. That's similar to what I could buy a used 10 year old lens for on eBay, but I know it is in perfect condition. Since I now have the D750 w/24-120, I'm giving the 18-200 to my daughter for Christmas.

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

I've got the D5500 and the lens that came with it, 18-55 I believe. Any tips for a newbie? I want to get out of auto mode, but I don't know what settings I should use etc.
Chris, @cjones, had a great reply. I'd only add that you take your camera out and spend quality time with it. That means taking lots of pictures! Learn the 3 things - apperture, shutter speed and ISO. Adjust one of those at a time to learn what it does and how it affects the photographs. Rinse and repeat. Practice makes you better. Once you learn how to control the variables you will suddenly have more control over what your camera does. That's when it gets fun.
Another reason to get outside!

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

A good place to start is the idea that your first thought is to control the depth of field. That starts with your aperture choice, followed by focal length and your distance to the subject. The myth is that pro photographers only shoot in manual. That isn't true, outside of the studio many use Aperture Priority for most shots or Shutter Priority when shooting sports. Switch to A (aperture priority mode), use the command dial to adjust the aperture, use the ISO to control the shutter speed and go from there. The rest of the story is lengthy (hence the book I wrote on the subject), but playing with your depth of field via taking control of the aperture is a good place to start. :blush:

Last edited:
Reactions: WJ - Firefly

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

@cjones @deeker @WUzombies Thanks for the tips! I'll try to get out more and play around with the camera.
Ever hear this old joke?

A guy showed up in New York City to see a concert and was lost after getting off the subway. He walked up to a guy play a saxophone on the corner and asked, "excuse me, how do I get to carnegie hall?"

The musician smiled and said "practice man, practice."

:sunglasses:

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I used to photograph professionally and sold all my gear when I closed my studio in Davenport in 2011. The economy really hit us hard and I left the profession and went back into manufacturing. I miss my Nikon D3. What a phenomenal camera and all my f2.8 lenses. Recently I've been dabbling in photography again since I enjoy nature and scenic. I've batted around the idea of buying fast lenses again, but so far I'm very happy with the slower lenses. The Nikon 70-300 has done fairly well. I'm looking at getting a new D7200 since my wifes D3000 is getting old. Funny thing, I used to teach photography at a college in Arizona as a part time gig while working as a professional. Now the only camera I personally own is my cell phone. I have to borrow the wifes. lol

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

The 7000 series Nikons are serious bodies. Have you seen the newer fast zoom DX lenses that Sigma is offering? Seriously impressive.