People with stomach problems, how do you cope on long trips?

• HTML tutorial

Wolf427

Rank III

Contributor III

Halton Hills, ON, Canada
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Mancini
I've had ibs for the past 11 years and it makes life pretty difficult, and in turn limits me on how long my overland trips can be.

So, people with stomach issues like IBD, IBS, Crohn's, etc. How do you manage on long overland trips?

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I don't suffer from those problems but one rule is inviolate - always carry a portable toilet. I keep the porta-potti that came with my van in it and a Pett in my LX. I also keep baby wipes on hand for more that tp might accomplish.

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

About 2 years ago I developed IBS....My diet didn't change, no lifestyle changes, and i was regular as clock work for 30 years.... it was like someone flipped a switch and there it was....
I now, watch what i eat, and know what to avoid....especially a day or 2 before a camp or long drive, drink plenty of water, eat light and have found 3 things that work for me.

Iberogast....Oral liquid, 20 drops , 3 times a day
Yalkult..............probiotic drink, 65ml once a day
Metamucil.....soluble fiber, a couple of times a week.

I'm not sure if these products are available worldwide, but they have worked for me.

cheers

Luis

Wolf427

Rank III

Contributor III

Halton Hills, ON, Canada
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Mancini
Pepto Bismol, Imodium AD, a folding toilet, and a quick setup shower tent.

I'm okay normally, but on weeks long trips, with a drastically different schedule and diet, there've been times when the next gas station can't come soon enough!
I don't suffer from those problems but one rule is inviolate - always carry a portable toilet. I keep the porta-potti that came with my van in it and a Pett in my LX. I also keep baby wipes on hand for more that tp might accomplish.
Yeah I really need to get a good portable toilet.

About 2 years ago I developed IBS....My diet didn't change, no lifestyle changes, and i was regular as clock work for 30 years.... it was like someone flipped a switch and there it was....
I now, watch what i eat, and know what to avoid....especially a day or 2 before a camp or long drive, drink plenty of water, eat light and have found 3 things that work for me.

Iberogast....Oral liquid, 20 drops , 3 times a day
Yalkult..............probiotic drink, 65ml once a day
Metamucil.....soluble fiber, a couple of times a week.

I'm not sure if these products are available worldwide, but they have worked for me.

cheers

Luis
I got TD on a trip and it was all downhill from there.
I've never heard of Iberogast before, but what do you know, they sell it here! I'm going to give that a shot. I can't try the probiotic drink because of the dairy, although I do take probiotics, Florastor being the best so far. Soluble fibre helps a bit as well.
I'm to the point now that I just eat like a bird on trips because I don't want to get sick. But I should definitely look into a good portable toilet.

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

Do what you have to do man....Iberogast , bitter as hell, some people dilute it for the taste, i take it straight...within 2-3 days i felt 80% better...was a life saver, nothing worse than fearing having to go to the toilet.
Please keep me posted with regards to the Iberogast...it is a topic a lot of men don't like to discuss.
cheers mate !

Luis

Last edited:

Wolf427

Rank III

Contributor III

Halton Hills, ON, Canada
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Mancini
Do what you have to do man....Iberogast , bitter as hell, some people dilute it for the taste, i take it straight...within 2-3 days i felt 80% better...was a life saver, nothing worse than fearing having to go to the toilet.
Please keep me posted with regards to the Iberogast...it is a topic a lot of men don'e like to discuss.
cheers mate !

Luis
Will do!

Please keep me posted with regards to the Iberogast...it is a topic a lot of men don't like to discuss.
cheers mate !

Luis
Don't know if I would want to sit in a filled diaper for a few hours drive hahaha

Wolf427

Rank III

Contributor III

Halton Hills, ON, Canada
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Mancini
Unfortunately, no.
I found Iberogast at my local grocer but didn't grab it, and they haven't had it since weirdly.
Otherwise this winter has been pretty rough on me. I chalk it up to the lack of exercise, and sunlight for vitamin D. Plus these last couple of months have been stressful lately(for example my house flooded on thursday). To top it all off, the medication I use for pain, Buscopan, has been on backorder for the past like 6 months and I ran out in January.

My gastroenterologist wants me to try an antibiotic they have been testing specifically for IBS called Rifaximin, but its expensive.
At least spring is on its way!