People with stomach problems, how do you cope on long trips? | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

People with stomach problems, how do you cope on long trips?

Discussion in 'General Overland Discussion' started by Wolf427, Jan 12, 2019 at 7:30 AM.

Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Wolf427

Wolf427 Rank 0

Map
    I've had ibs for the past 11 years and it makes life pretty difficult, and in turn limits me on how long my overland trips can be.

So, people with stomach issues like IBD, IBS, Crohn's, etc. How do you manage on long overland trips?

Drifterman and Luis Merlo like this.
  2. chuckoverland

chuckoverland Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Have you considered going gluten free? Just curious. I suffered from stomach issues for years but theyve been slowly going away after some drastic changes in my diet.

Luis Merlo likes this.
  3. Wolf427

Wolf427 Rank 0

Map
    I did eliminate gluten from my diet for about 6 months, and it did make a difference but nothing drastic.

Luis Merlo likes this.
  4. Steve

Steve lost again...
    Moderator Founder 500 Member

Member #:

Map
    Pepto Bismol, Imodium AD, a folding toilet, and a quick setup shower tent.

I'm okay normally, but on weeks long trips, with a drastically different schedule and diet, there've been times when the next gas station can't come soon enough!

Luis Merlo likes this.
  5. CSG

CSG Rank 0

Map
    I don't suffer from those problems but one rule is inviolate - always carry a portable toilet. I keep the porta-potti that came with my van in it and a Pett in my LX. I also keep baby wipes on hand for more that tp might accomplish.

6. Luis Merlo

Luis Merlo Rank V
    Staff Member Moderator Member

Member #:

Map
    About 2 years ago I developed IBS....My diet didn't change, no lifestyle changes, and i was regular as clock work for 30 years.... it was like someone flipped a switch and there it was....
    I now, watch what i eat, and know what to avoid....especially a day or 2 before a camp or long drive, drink plenty of water, eat light and have found 3 things that work for me.

Iberogast....Oral liquid, 20 drops , 3 times a day
    Yalkult..............probiotic drink, 65ml once a day
    Metamucil.....soluble fiber, a couple of times a week.

I'm not sure if these products are available worldwide, but they have worked for me.

cheers

Luis

Wolf427 likes this.
  7. Wolf427

Wolf427 Rank 0

Map
    Yeah I really need to get a good portable toilet.

I got TD on a trip and it was all downhill from there.
    I've never heard of Iberogast before, but what do you know, they sell it here! I'm going to give that a shot. I can't try the probiotic drink because of the dairy, although I do take probiotics, Florastor being the best so far. Soluble fibre helps a bit as well.
    I'm to the point now that I just eat like a bird on trips because I don't want to get sick. But I should definitely look into a good portable toilet.

Luis Merlo likes this.
  8. Luis Merlo

Luis Merlo Rank V
    Staff Member Moderator Member

Member #:

Map
    #8 Luis Merlo, Jan 12, 2019 at 12:03 PM
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 12:19 PM
    Do what you have to do man....Iberogast , bitter as hell, some people dilute it for the taste, i take it straight...within 2-3 days i felt 80% better...was a life saver, nothing worse than fearing having to go to the toilet.
    Please keep me posted with regards to the Iberogast...it is a topic a lot of men don't like to discuss.
    cheers mate !

Luis

Wolf427 likes this.
  9. Borderline Homeless

Member #:

Map
    Depends adult diapers! They say they're good for 12 hours. If you need more double up!

10. Wolf427

Wolf427 Rank 0

Map
    Will do!

Don't know if I would want to sit in a filled diaper for a few hours drive hahaha

Luis Merlo likes this.
  11. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Rank II

Map
    Bucket toilet and baby wipes, never know when you may get bad food on the road.