Passed Technician. Ham Cram FOR THE WIN!

• HTML tutorial

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tigard, Washington County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
Woot! I passed the Technician test on Saturday. Many thanks to the Columbia Amateur Radio Association (N7EI) for the Ham Cram. All of the attendees passed! I also used the HAM Test Prep Technician app on iOS (‎HAM Test Prep: Technician).

Now, I'm waiting on the FCC while I research radios. I'm considering a handheld option I can use while hiking too. I'm leaning toward the YAESU FT-60R.

Attached are some of the rigs for those attending the Ham Cram.

IMG_3104.jpeg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Congratulations, we have had three that I know of this weekend get their Ham, two Technicians and one General I am excited for you guys. I take my exams on Tuesday January 28th. I am looking at the Yaesu FTM-400xdr for a mobile rig.

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
Congratulations, we have had three that I know of this weekend get their Ham, two Technicians and one General I am excited for you guys. I take my exams on Tuesday January 28th. I am looking at the Yaesu FTM-400xdr for a mobile rig.
Thanks and good luck! That is a nice radio choice.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Congrats! The FT-60r is a great HT. Hard to go wrong with any of the newer offerings. I have the VX-8r I also picked up a cheapie Baofeng off Amazon to keep a second HT in the console of my truck. It works surprisingly well with an aftermarket antenna. Good luck with the hunt.

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
Congrats! The FT-60r is a great HT. Hard to go wrong with any of the newer offerings. I have the VX-8r I also picked up a cheapie Baofeng off Amazon to keep a second HT in the console of my truck. It works surprisingly well with an aftermarket antenna. Good luck with the hunt.
Thanks. I hear having a second cheaper handheld is useful while spotting. Just in case it ends up in the mud.

LOL

Gary

Miarich

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Rabun Gap, GA, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Irvin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4BCT
Our instructor told us that he was able to get us registered w/FCC quickly. I checked the FCC data base this morning and it was there. The radio was highly recommended by a couple of the proctors after the exam. I am a beginner, the programming seems complicated now, but like all things there is a learning curve.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Woot! I passed the Technician test on Saturday. Many thanks to the Columbia Amateur Radio Association (N7EI) for the Ham Cram. All of the attendees passed! I also used the HAM Test Prep Technician app on iOS (‎HAM Test Prep: Technician).

Now, I'm waiting on the FCC while I research radios. I'm considering a handheld option I can use while hiking too. I'm leaning toward the YAESU FT-60R.

Attached are some of the rigs for those attending the Ham Cram.

View attachment 136121
Congratulations! The FT-60r is a great radio, just about everyone here in the Sierra Foothills around the Rubicon uses it. During our Rally in the Ozarks I left it on the fender and drove off, it got run over by another vehicle and it still worked. You wont be sorry.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Great, Our VE said he wouldn't mail ours till today because of MLK Day.
It depends on which VE team is administering it. Laurel is e-mailed and call is hours to days away. ARRL can be a week or more becuae they are certified mail.

Congratseveryone! Please check in on the call sign thread!

The FT-60R is a great HT. I just got mine last year, moving on from a VX-5R (which was also a great radio) and I've been nothing but happy with it.

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Awesome, congrats! It's a fantastic hobby to be in and sky is literally the limit with learning and whatever you want to do. I use mine at a pretty basic level but would love to learn more about HF and such down the road. Parks On The Air (POTA) & Summits On The Air (SOTA) interests me big time and I think would blend very well with all our interests in exploring. I won't say anything here that hasn't been said but I'll echo it. The FT-60 is a great choice, the simplicity, capability and reliability are hard to beat at the price point. I have an FT-7900 which is arguably a mobile version of similar capabilities. It's pretty basic but I can always rely on it. I have some other flavors of HT's but have always been a Yaesu fan myself. Anywho, welcome to HAM! - KDØLDK

Reactions: AutomaticBluez

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
Awesome, congrats! It's a fantastic hobby to be in and sky is literally the limit with learning and whatever you want to do. I use mine at a pretty basic level but would love to learn more about HF and such down the road. Parks On The Air (POTA) & Summits On The Air (SOTA) interests me big time and I think would blend very well with all our interests in exploring. I won't say anything here that hasn't been said but I'll echo it. The FT-60 is a great choice, the simplicity, capability and reliability are hard to beat at the price point. I have an FT-7900 which is arguably a mobile version of similar capabilities. It's pretty basic but I can always rely on it. I have some other flavors of HT's but have always been a Yaesu fan myself. Anywho, welcome to HAM! - KDØLDK
Thanks. I’m looking forward to delving in deeper.