Passed Technician. Ham Cram FOR THE WIN!

• HTML tutorial

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Passed my General last night. One bit of advice to all those who just picked up their Technician class license, DON’T STOP!

There is a lot of overlap from the Technician to the General class license. Go ahead and get your General while the info is still fairly fresh. I’m planning to try for my Extra class next month.

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tigard, Washington County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
Woot! I passed the Technician test on Saturday. Many thanks to the Columbia Amateur Radio Association (N7EI) for the Ham Cram. All of the attendees passed! I also used the HAM Test Prep Technician app on iOS (‎HAM Test Prep: Technician).

Now, I'm waiting on the FCC while I research radios. I'm considering a handheld option I can use while hiking too. I'm leaning toward the YAESU FT-60R.

Attached are some of the rigs for those attending the Ham Cram.

View attachment 136121
Congratulations on passing. I'm in the cram process right now with exam on the 21st. Studying like crazy, taking the practice tests over and over, and still wondering if I'll pass.
Good luck. I recommend reading the questions three times over and only focusing on the correct answer. That’s essentially the Ham cram. Burn it into your short term memory.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Good luck. I recommend reading the questions three times over and only focusing on the correct answer. That’s essentially the Ham cram. Burn it into your short term memory.
Exactly what I typically recommend to someone starting out as well so that when they take the test (practice or real) the correct answer jumps out at them....or at least it should.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Passed my General last night. One bit of advice to all those who just picked up their Technician class license, DON’T STOP!

There is a lot of overlap from the Technician to the General class license. Go ahead and get your General while the info is still fairly fresh. I’m planning to try for my Extra class next month.
Do you have any study guide recommendations for the General and Extra classes?

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Everybody learns differently... For me, even though right now my only interest in getting my Technician license is to be "legal" when doing group runs, I need to be able to understand the basic concepts in order for some things to stick. I started last month with reading the book "Ham Radio for Dummies". Then I read Gordon West's Test Prep book. Both helped me tremendously when I downloaded the practice test app., as my first score was 82%. I've taken the practice test about 25 times now & am averaging 91%. Some of the questions I'm definitely answering correctly only because I've memorized the correct answer and some because I now understand at least the basic concepts. I've gone ahead and scheduled myself for the actual test on the 22nd & will keep doing the practice tests until then. Hopefully, that will do it.

Reactions: J.W.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Do you have any study guide recommendations for the General and Extra classes?
Hamstudy.org is what I have used for the tests. They have a nice clean interface and it’s free to use online (have to pay if you want to download the accompanying app on your phone). I have not used the app but I imagine it is handy If you need to study on the go. I studied the questions for 3 nights and didn’t have any issues. Everyone is different when it comes to learning. If you register for a free account on Hamstudy, the site will keep track of how well you are doing and give you a pretty good idea of when you are ready to take the test.

*NOTE: The actual questions on the FCC exam appeared exactly as they were phrased on Hamstudy for both of the exams I have taken. YMMV.

There are essentially two ways to pass these tests:

1) Memorize the questions and answers. This is the fastest way to pass the test. I think there are about 200 questions in the pools for the Technician and General exams so it can definitely be done in a relatively short period of time. The downside to memorizing the questions/answers is that you are not truly learning the theory behind each question. Also, some people have trouble with straight memorization like what is require for these exams. Hamstudy.org is a good way to approach thse test pool questions because its format is based on repetition. Stay with it and it will eventually stick in anyone’s mind.

2) Learn the theory. This takes a LOT more time but it is what the tests were designed to guide. Honestly, passing the test is the relatively easy part. Knowing the practical applications of all that information is what takes years to digest. Best advice for that is to join a local Ham club and go to the meetings/events. You will learn more in one day at a local Ham Field Day than in weeks of exam prep.

I’ve had my Tech license for years and I should have done these other tests sooner but life get’s busy (you all know how that story goes). Right now I have no big plans to play much on HF, I don’t even have HF equipment. My plan is to go ahead and get my Extra license, hang out at some local Ham clubs and learn what I’m doing while I slowly build an HF setup over the next year or years.

Reactions: Big G

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Everybody learns differently... For me, even though right now my only interest in getting my Technician license is to be "legal" when doing group runs, I need to be able to understand the basic concepts in order for some things to stick. I started last month with reading the book "Ham Radio for Dummies". Then I read Gordon West's Test Prep book. Both helped me tremendously when I downloaded the practice test app., as my first score was 82%. I've taken the practice test about 25 times now & am averaging 91%. Some of the questions I'm definitely answering correctly only because I've memorized the correct answer and some because I now understand at least the basic concepts. I've gone ahead and scheduled myself for the actual test on the 22nd & will keep doing the practice tests until then. Hopefully, that will do it.
I bet you’ll pass no problem if you are doing that well. One thing I always tell people is that the worst thing that will happen is you don’t pass the first time and have to take the exam twice. No big deal! All the people giving these exams are volunteers and are super supportive. If you miss the mark on an exam, chances are they will offer to help you study for the next one.

Reactions: HIALT2D

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hamstudy.org is what I have used for the tests. They have a nice clean interface and it’s free to use online (have to pay if you want to download the accompanying app on your phone). I have not used the app but I imagine it is handy If you need to study on the go. I studied the questions for 3 nights and didn’t have any issues. Everyone is different when it comes to learning. If you register for a free account on Hamstudy, the site will keep track of how well you are doing and give you a pretty good idea of when you are ready to take the test.

*NOTE: The actual questions on the FCC exam appeared exactly as they were phrased on Hamstudy for both of the exams I have taken. YMMV.

There are essentially two ways to pass these tests:

1) Memorize the questions and answers. This is the fastest way to pass the test. I think there are about 200 questions in the pools for the Technician and General exams so it can definitely be done in a relatively short period of time. The downside to memorizing the questions/answers is that you are not truly learning the theory behind each question. Also, some people have trouble with straight memorization like what is require for these exams. Hamstudy.org is a good way to approach thse test pool questions because its format is based on repetition. Stay with it and it will eventually stick in anyone’s mind.

2) Learn the theory. This takes a LOT more time but it is what the tests were designed to guide. Honestly, passing the test is the relatively easy part. Knowing the practical applications of all that information is what takes years to digest. Best advice for that is to join a local Ham club and go to the meetings/events. You will learn more in one day at a local Ham Field Day than in weeks of exam prep.

I’ve had my Tech license for years and I should have done these other tests sooner but life get’s busy (you all know how that story goes). Right now I have no big plans to play much on HF, I don’t even have HF equipment. My plan is to go ahead and get my Extra license, hang out at some local Ham clubs and learn what I’m doing while I slowly build an HF setup over the next year or years.
I use HamStudy.org app, was wondering if you also used a book... I am also a member of my local ham club, and the guys there are amazing. I, like you don’t have any gear yet, but that is changing real soon. Like I said earlier I’m not sure how deep I’m going to go in this rabbit hole. I was asked to volunteer for a few activities already... one being ARES. I had to pass this month, but next month I will be going to the meeting. If I can swing it I will be going to the summer field day... My club goes up into the mountains and sets up at remote camp grounds.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I use HamStudy.org app, was wondering if you also used a book... I am also a member of my local ham club, and the guys there are amazing. I, like you don’t have any gear yet, but that is changing real soon. Like I said earlier I’m not sure how deep I’m going to go in this rabbit hole. I was asked to volunteer for a few activities already... one being ARES. I had to pass this month, but next month I will be going to the meeting. If I can swing it I will be going to the summer field day... My club goes up into the mountains and sets up at remote camp grounds.
I did not use any books for exam study but I have read quite a bit. I did watch some YouTube vids for refreshers on the basics. Full disclosure: in a past life I used to help manage a public safety simulcast system so I have some RF experience.

I’m with you on not knowing how far down the rabbit hole I want to fall. There is a lot of stuff you can do. ARES is a neat program that can get you involved with local EMA and similar agencies. I worked with all those folks locally for years. SkyWarn is another avenue a lot of Ham’s follow. It’s worth going to the 2 hour class if you have any interest in meteorology.

I like having a lot to do during the winter months to keep myself occupied but I’m trying to stay pretty free during the warmer months for travel. We’ll see how well I do haha!

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I did not use any books for exam study but I have read quite a bit. I did watch some YouTube vids for refreshers on the basics. Full disclosure: in a past life I used to help manage a public safety simulcast system so I have some RF experience.

I’m with you on not knowing how far down the rabbit hole I want to fall. There is a lot of stuff you can do. ARES is a neat program that can get you involved with local EMA and similar agencies. I worked with all those folks locally for years. SkyWarn is another avenue a lot of Ham’s follow. It’s worth going to the 2 hour class if you have any interest in meteorology.

I like having a lot to do during the winter months to keep myself occupied but I’m trying to stay pretty free during the warmer months for travel. We’ll see how well I do haha!
I think our SkyWarn class is next month, I’ll ask Tyson at our meeting on Tuesday. I do know he briefly talked to me about it in the past, and it does have me interested

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Question: If, at least for right now, my interest in getting licensed is to use the HAM radio for Overlanding, Off-Roading, group runs, and some solo exploration of the mountains & deserts, is there any advantages the General class license provides over just having the Technician license?

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Question: If, at least for right now, my interest in getting licensed is to use the HAM radio for Overlanding, Off-Roading, group runs, and some solo exploration of the mountains & deserts, is there any advantages the General class license provides over just having the Technician license?
For the moment allowing access to HF frequencies that allow much further distance, though there is talk of expanding tech voice privileges to some HF frequencies.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
For the moment allowing access to HF frequencies that allow much further distance, though there is talk of expanding tech voice privileges to some HF frequencies.
A couple more questions:

Would that require a different radio and/or antenna?

I've seen some dual band and tri band radios. I understand you get the advantage of being able to monitor/transmit/receive on an extra band without having to dial up another freq., but is there any other advantage of the tri band?

Say, several of us are doing a run. Does each one have to have APRS capable radios for me to monitor the other's locations if my radio has it?

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself as I don't even take the Technician test until this next Saturday, but I'm trying to at least begin researching what radios I might want/need/be able to afford in the near future.

Thanks...

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
A couple more questions:

Would that require a different radio and/or antenna?

I've seen some dual band and tri band radios. I understand you get the advantage of being able to monitor/transmit/receive on an extra band without having to dial up another freq., but is there any other advantage of the tri band?

Say, several of us are doing a run. Does each one have to have APRS capable radios for me to monitor the other's locations if my radio has it?

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself as I don't even take the Technician test until this next Saturday, but I'm trying to at least begin researching what radios I might want/need/be able to afford in the near future.

Thanks...
The Yaesu FTM-400xdr does all of this in one radio package. The Yaesu FTM-100DR does arps or cw, but not both at the same time from what I understand... personally I’m going with the Yaesu FTM-400XDR as a lot of people in my local ham club run it as well as several OB members.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@HIALT2D

HF does require a different radio and antenna(s), but they do make HF/VHF/UHF all in one radios though there aren't any of those with APRS built in.
Yes to track others they must also be beaconing APRS.
As far as tri-band goes, it depends on how active 220MHz (most common 3rd band) is in your area. But I wouldn't get it specifically for any offroad/back country benefit.

Last edited:

MojaveGreen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6SGE
Depending on one’s budget there is a lot of really great gear out there both new & used. I am still in the installation phase of my mobile rig (no photos yet) and I do recommend it to anyone if only for you to consider. The radio is the Yaesu FT-857 not the D version great radio talk about all band and all mode, this thing can receive from (0.1-56, 76-108, 118-164 and 420-470 MHz) and transmit from (160 - 6 Meters including 60 Meters, 2 Meters, 70 Centimeters (Amateur bands only) and 5167.5 kHz: Alaska Emergency Frequency (U.S.A. version only) these are rugged, light and hams use these set up on small backpacks and take them hiking. Am, Fm, Usb, Lsb, CW. The antenna is by far the most important part of rig and there are so many thoughts of what is the best one but without a good antenna you will not have a good rig no matter how much or little you spend on the radio, the antenna is 75% of the rig. What I ended up with is the Comet CA-2x4SR it is built as a broad-band antenna designed for those needing voice communications on the ham radio, public service, land mobile, and FRS frequency ranges. And so far it is working great for me and I would recommend this one to anyone that runs one of these types of radios. But as stated it is just another part of gear for you to consider. I hope this is of some help to someone, Brian

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Congratulations, we have had three that I know of this weekend get their Ham, two Technicians and one General I am excited for you guys. I take my exams on Tuesday January 28th. I am looking at the Yaesu FTM-400xdr for a mobile rig.
Starting to study for my general. Nothing like a buddy getting his to light a fire ;)