Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carrollton, VA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Nicholson
Member #

After several weeks of nothing but HAM test prep, I passed my technician test, and now I’m looking for a radio and antenna for my land cruiser. I’ve toyed around the CB’s and found my reception to be terrible, as I didn’t understand the antenna placement. That said, I anticipate a downside to bed lining the whole rig, is going to have similar effects. Any input would be great! I’m considering replacing the FM radio antenna as I never listen to FM radio anymore.

PFA

Attachments

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Congrats. Bedliner is potentially troublesome unless you plan on drilling through it to secure the antenna mount. Another option is to use a 2m halfwave antenna as it is not ground dependent. Putting the antenna on a mount on the roofrack would work as well as the rack is big enough to provide adequate ground plane.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Congrats!

Head over to the OB Comms subforum and you will find plenty of HAM installation solutions, e.g.

Cheers, Björn

NicholsPack

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carrollton, VA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Nicholson
Member #

Congrats. Bedliner is potentially troublesome unless you plan on drilling through it to secure the antenna mount. Another option is to use a 2m halfwave antenna as it is not ground dependent. Putting the antenna on a mount on the roofrack would work as well as the rack is big enough to provide adequate ground plane.
The racks aluminum, how much of a difference does that make? Also, I’ve got a aluminum RTT up there too.

NicholsPack

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carrollton, VA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Nicholson
Member #

Congrats!

Head over to the OB Comms subforum and you will find plenty of HAM installation solutions, e.g.

Cheers, Björn
Thank you! I was looking for one on the APP, but didn’t see it :/

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

The racks aluminum, how much of a difference does that make? Also, I’ve got a aluminum RTT up there too.
Aluminum rack won't make any difference. The aluminum RTT may block/reflect some of the signal but if most of the antenna is above the RTT then you should be ok.
With line of sight communication (which VHF/UHF is) antenna height is key to talking over a greatest distance.

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I have an 80 series. I have a Kenwood TM-D710GA radio. The unit is under the driver's seat and the head unit is on the console behind the shifter. I ran the antenna wire along the side under the trim and have a mount on the lift gate about half way up. I have it this way so it will fit in my car port with the antenna on. I get a good signal both coming and going. The mount is a Diamond K400C.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Chad makes a good point, even though the body has bedliner is the underside of the hood and hatch are not so a hood lip mount would work in either location as the "ground" connection is made via set screws underneath.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Because I have several things (including 3 antennas) mounted to my rack, I ran a separate ground wire. If your not using the factory rack, I used the rear holes from the stock rack mounting. I have 3 for coax and 1 ground wire. I will be adding a power wire when I put my light bar on later. I use Gland Nuts in the holes. Waterproof and doesn't stress the coax. The link was just to show the type. The size will depend on wire size through the hole. You can get 90 degree also. Those tuck the cable real well.

Gratz on the license.

EDIT: Forgot to add. I don't like relying on the ground from the coax. That's why I always run a separate ground to my antennas.

NicholsPack

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carrollton, VA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Nicholson
Member #

Because I have several things (including 3 antennas) mounted to my rack, I ran a separate ground wire. If your not using the factory rack, I used the rear holes from the stock rack mounting. I have 3 for coax and 1 ground wire. I will be adding a power wire when I put my light bar on later. I use Gland Nuts in the holes. Waterproof and doesn't stress the coax. The link was just to show the type. The size will depend on wire size through the hole. You can get 90 degree also. Those tuck the cable real well.

Gratz on the license.

EDIT: Forgot to add. I don't like relying on the ground from the coax. That's why I always run a separate ground to my antennas.
@ChadHahn This rig has to have the roof rack pulled and tires deflated to make it into the garage. She’s an outside rig. Now every now and then I’ve got to find a way to make it into a parking garage, but that’s a once a year endeavor.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
The Diamond NR770HB folds over for clearing garages and the like.

It is also a radial-less design meaning it is not dependant on a ground plane. I have mine mounted on a rub rail (halfway up the body, between the bottom of the rear quarter window and the top of a back tire) on my XJ. No reception or transmission problems.

Reactions: El-Dracho

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I used to live in a cheaply built house that had alumi

It is also a radial-less design meaning it is not dependant on a ground plane. I have mine mounted on a rub rail (halfway up the body, between the bottom of the rear quarter window and the top of a back tire) on my XJ. No reception or transmission problems.
And it's easy to remove the antenna for going through car washes and such. I don't have my antenna mounted higher and folded over because I'm sure I'd forget to raise it up before I started driving.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This rig has to have the roof rack pulled and tires deflated to make it into the garage. She’s an outside rig. Now every now and then I’ve got to find a way to make it into a parking garage, but that’s a once a year endeavor.
My cruiser is a bit too tall even without the rack. I'm not allowed in parking garages and you should hear the noise my antennas make in the drive through..

And it's easy to remove the antenna for going through car washes and such
What's a car wash??? OH!!! you mean rain... got it.
On a serious note. I do remove my antenna's and clean the mount threads and contacts once in a while.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
he Diamond NR770HB folds over for clearing garages and the like.

It is also a radial-less design meaning it is not dependant on a ground plane.
I run the same one. I prefer the 1/2 wave antennas.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE

I run the same antenna for 70cm/ 2m band. Mounting position at the very front of the car, because the other places were already occupied by other antennas.

With regard to ground plane not a very good mounting position, but it works without problems with this antenna.

Reactions: NicholsPack