Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Neat video but even he mentions that the 72 and coleman loose ice faster because of the volume. If you had them all filled based on their volume rather than just the same quantity of ice, they would both probably perform better than they did in his video. That's just my theory though.
I agree with you, that is why I said it is not Scientific. I have also watched a couple of other videos and it seems as if the Coleman and the Cabelas are the two best for holding ice with the Ozark and the Yeti Models behind them.

Slicer777

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix az
Member #

I purchased the RTIC 45 and was told that it would take 2 months. Oh well, but the good news is that it showed up two weeks later. I also saw where RTIC was sued by YETI and lost. They had to pay money and change their design. That was one of the reasons I thought it was taking so long...but it showed up. I have not taken it out yet, but am impressed with the reviews.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
I purchased the RTIC 45 and was told that it would take 2 months. Oh well, but the good news is that it showed up two weeks later. I also saw where RTIC was sued by YETI and lost. They had to pay money and change their design. That was one of the reasons I thought it was taking so long...but it showed up. I have not taken it out yet, but am impressed with the reviews.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
I, for one, would be interested in what you think about it after using it. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Slicer777

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

So far I have been very pleased with the ice performance.

A few gripes:
  • No tie-down points, but I think it would be easy to whip something up so I can tie it down and still open the lid.
  • The rubber closures can be a little annoying because you have to line up a hole with a pin, I personally haven't had any problems with it but others have noted they are harder to use than the Yeti.
Overall, I think it's pretty hard to go wrong - especially for the price.
Cool thanks for the feedback. I see these in stock at my local Walmart and price is reasonable. May have to pick one up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

AdvOverland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Clarksville, TN
Member #

I've been using my 55qt or 50qt. Whatever size it is. All summer.

I've always run out of beer before ice. Great buy, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I picked up one of the smaller 26qt during the summer and have used it a few times. Every outing I have used mine on I pre-chilled it with a couple of the plastic ice blocks that you use for lunch bags typically. I have filled them the morning of leaving with ice and beverages and some food and most of the time when we were out I intentionally kept it in direct sunlight and they have performed great. The one I had kept drinks and food cold for 5 days without too much melt. The 26qt that I picked has been well worth the amount of money that they cost and will consider buying one of the bigger ones.

Reactions: TerryD

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Considering the Ozark Trail 52 qt is less than half the cost of the Cabelas cooler, I'd say it did pretty amazing. It's really not fair to say that the Coleman outperformed the 72 qt OT cooler considering it's 20 qts smaller with the same volume of ice to start. Having said that, it's a useful test because it shows that the coleman is an excellent choice if you REALLY want to not spend too much money. What I would love to see is a comparison between the classic coleman cooler that sells for 27 bucks at walmart vs the marine version. Double the price, but how much better is the marine?

Seeing all this, I'm fairly convinced I'm going to buy an OT 52 qt cooler.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Old thread, but interesting. I have a 25 litre OZ cooler that I've used on my last 3 trips / 14 nights. With proper use like precooling, keeping it out of the sun and not having the lid open any longer than you need to it's been great. I agree that the rubber hold downs are a bit of a pain at first but when you get used to them they're fine. They're a bit heavy but that's OK. I thought of getting a larger one but will likely get a second one of the same size. I don't always need the larger capacity and to be honest, they can get to a size and weight that I would have a hard time managing.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I have a 26 quart OT cooler, and I’m very happy with it. The only problem is that it doesn’t have a vent, or a drain plug, and if you change elevation, the lid is vacuum sealed shut. I’ve had to pry the lid open many times, other than that, it’s a great cooler, I actually use it more than I use my Yeti 75, since it is smaller and lighter.

Reactions: Raynald Ledoux

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I have a 26 quart OT cooler, and I’m very happy with it. The only problem is that it doesn’t have a vent, or a drain plug, and if you change elevation, the lid is vacuum sealed shut. I’ve had to pry the lid open many times, other than that, it’s a great cooler, I actually use it more than I use my Yeti 75, since it is smaller and lighter.
I agree with you regarding the lack of a drain plug ... it's a bit of a pain. I hadn't thought about it not having a vent. It won't be a problem for me but I can see that it could be for others.