Ozark Trail coolers

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I was at WalMart the other day and decided to swing past sporting goods to see if there was anything interesting and ran across an "expedition" type cooler I've never heard of.

The company is Ozark Trail, and from what I can see online they do mostly cheaper soft-sided coolers. I couldn't find much about their heavily-insulated rugged models. The info on the cooler claimed to keep ice for 7 days, a bit less than the 10 claimed by Yeti. It seemed to be reasonably well built and was about half the cost of a Yeti or similar coolers.

Anyone ever run one of these? How did it perform?

EDIT: Here are some photos. What do you guys think? Does this look like something else that is just rebranded for WalMart?

Last edited:

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

I was at WalMart the other day and decided to swing past sporting goods to see if there was anything interesting and ran across an "expedition" type cooler I've never heard of.

The company is Ozark Trail, and from what I can see online they do mostly cheaper soft-sided coolers. I couldn't find much about their heavily-insulated rugged models. The info on the cooler claimed to keep ice for 7 days, a bit less than the 10 claimed by Yeti. It seemed to be reasonably well built and was about half the cost of a Yeti or similar coolers.

Anyone ever run one of these? How did it perform?
first ive heard about them.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

RTIC are a LOT cheaper than sasquatch, pelican, etc but their ship times are ridiculous. buy one now, wait till dam near July for them to ship it. Id like to see a comparison test on this one too.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
My local Wally World doesn't carry them. At least not yet. Would like to hear as well how it performs.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
My local Wally World doesn't carry them. At least not yet. Would like to hear as well how it performs.
I believe I saw one of these at the KMart in Somerset a few weeks ago. It was on a high shelf so I couldn't get a good look at it. If you have a KMart nearby it might be with a look-see.... :sunglasses:

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Ill have eto check the one by me @ShawnR. I'm looking to get a bigger cooler anyways. I have a Coleman electric that works OK and a small cooler but with all the trips planned this year a bigger cooler is a must
I looked at the one on the West end. Didn't look at Elmore. Next time your in there, let me know if they have it. Thanks.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

So far I have been very pleased with the ice performance.

A few gripes:
  • No tie-down points, but I think it would be easy to whip something up so I can tie it down and still open the lid.
  • The rubber closures can be a little annoying because you have to line up a hole with a pin, I personally haven't had any problems with it but others have noted they are harder to use than the Yeti.
Overall, I think it's pretty hard to go wrong - especially for the price.

Reactions: boss324

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Ive been hearing a lot about these lately, Im keeping my hawkeyes open for one of the smaller ones. Given that my kids ride in teh third row with me, Im not going with an Engel or ARB Fridge/Freezer any time soon, so a nice roto molded cooler is beginning to make more sense, if I like the small one, I may get a 50QT.

Bob

Rank III

Advocate II

I just bought a canyon cooler 103 qt. cooler. I really got it for my raft, not for the jeep because I have an ARB fridge for the jeep. The canyon cooler seems really well made and the 103 qt. model is designed for rafts. But if you can swing it I highly recommend getting a 12v fridge, I would buy another one tomorrow if mine bit the dust.