Murguia
Member #

AdvNerd

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Austin, TX
Great Article! That's one happy doggo!

Sometimes it's strange how random things line up. I'm working on buying both a new overland rig AND my first puppy in the next month. I was wondering about traveling with a dog and here's an article about traveling full time with a dog...That's convenient!

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

We take our mutts everywhere. They recently experianced getting their paws wet in the Arctic Ocean in Tuk. One of our dogs is deaf (Molly the BC Husky mix), is very mellow, and sleeps pretty much the entire time we are moving. Our other dog (Ichabod the Catahoula) is a very anxious traveler with a very high prey drive, who is usually always on-point. We try to limit his space and outside stimulus to reduce tension, and we give him a product called Composure, when we travel which helps reduce anxiety. I couldn't imagine the journey without them. 36278280_10155335148361637_3026446518988046336_n.jpg 36542661_10155344210332117_5983671307764498432_n.jpg

Cmel06

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
First Name
Cesar
Last Name
Melgarejo
Member #

My girlfriend and I just started traveling without dogs. This weekend we realized it’s time to invest in some pup shoes because of tree sap sticking in their paws.

Reactions: Jennifer Langille

Cmel06

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
First Name
Cesar
Last Name
Melgarejo
Member #

My girlfriend and I just started traveling with our dogs. This weekend we realized it’s time to invest in some pup shoes because of tree sap sticking in their paws.

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
great article! We take our pup everywhere and I especially agree with the "best food you can afford" statement. Sasha has hiked many a long hard day in the sierras and they deserve good, high quality nutrition to fuel them.
I do want to ask, what do you include in your pet first aid kit? I've got gauze and tweezers and her flea and tick meds....wh at are you using for ointments or medicine for his paws?
20170910_154915.jpg

Last edited:

Hard Rock

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

We take our mutts everywhere. They recently experianced getting their paws wet in the Arctic Ocean in Tuk. One of our dogs is deaf (Molly the BC Husky mix), is very mellow, and sleeps pretty much the entire time we are moving. Our other dog (Ichabod the Catahoula) is a very anxious traveler with a very high prey drive, who is usually always on-point. We try to limit his space and outside stimulus to reduce tension, and we give him a product called Composure, when we travel which helps reduce anxiety. I couldn't imagine the journey without them. View attachment 62337 View attachment 62338
Great pics!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Nice story, I miss having a dog but there are simply too many places a dog cannot go. We have in the past and will in the future be crossing the border into Canada and Mexico. Europe and Australia are within our grasp. National Parks, and backpacking? NDA. Once we are done traveling, I'll definitely be getting another Aussie.

Jennifer Langille

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, USA
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Langille
Member #

Great Article! That's one happy doggo!

Sometimes it's strange how random things line up. I'm working on buying both a new overland rig AND my first puppy in the next month. I was wondering about traveling with a dog and here's an article about traveling full time with a dog...That's convenient!
That's exciting and it'll be an exciting (and at time possible stressful time) but all worth it once you are both out on the trail together! Thank you for reading! Jenn + Monty

Reactions: AdvNerd

Jennifer Langille

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, USA
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Langille
Member #

We take our mutts everywhere. They recently experianced getting their paws wet in the Arctic Ocean in Tuk. One of our dogs is deaf (Molly the BC Husky mix), is very mellow, and sleeps pretty much the entire time we are moving. Our other dog (Ichabod the Catahoula) is a very anxious traveler with a very high prey drive, who is usually always on-point. We try to limit his space and outside stimulus to reduce tension, and we give him a product called Composure, when we travel which helps reduce anxiety. I couldn't imagine the journey without them. View attachment 62337 View attachment 62338
I love this! I hope to bring Monty to Alaska with our book project next year and do the same. Safe journeys to you and your "pack" and thank you so much for sharing (and reading!) Cheers, Jenn + Monty

Jennifer Langille

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, USA
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Langille
Member #

We adore GSPs, though you are correct, Vizslas love to LOVE. Monty is an extreme cuddler! Thank you for reading! Jenn + Monty

Jennifer Langille

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, USA
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Langille
Member #

Thanks for your sharing your dog and travel experience. Most of my travels are in National Parks or State Parks for hiking into back county unfortunately most do not allow dogs on the trails. Reasons are fairly obvious. See you on the trails.
That has posed some challenges when we've traveled through the N.P. system this year. Though it also inspired me to be more curious about traveling and exploring our National Forest where dogs are welcomed. Safe travels in the backcountry and thank you for reading! Jenn + Monty

Jennifer Langille

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, USA
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Langille
Member #

My girlfriend and I just started traveling without dogs. This weekend we realized it’s time to invest in some pup shoes because of tree sap sticking in their paws.
You know, that has happened to Monty a few times, not often enough to warrant booties (yet.) I'd love to hear how they work for you guys! They are on the gear list for Monty going into the winter. Thank you for reading and all the best from Monty and I!

Reactions: Cmel06

Jennifer Langille

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, USA
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Langille
Member #

great article! We take our pup everywhere and I especially agree with the "best food you can afford" statement. Sasha has hiked many a long hard day in the sierras and they deserve good, high quality nutrition to fuel them.
I do want to ask, what do you include in your pet first aid kit? I've got gauze and tweezers and her flea and tick meds....wh at are you using for ointments or medicine for his paws?
Ooo... such a wonderful question and I don't (but should) create a better list/inventory of this. For his paws I actually have this ointment/balm that's from Vermont with beeswax, and other ingredients that's ok if they lick it off (which Monty has a tendency to do if I don't keep him moving.) It's worked well especially in the winter, though generally speaking there are a number of good ones out there if you scope out the shelves at your local feed store. Otherwise, for cuts and such I keep tubes of Neosporin, spray bottle of antiseptic (a lot easier to apply,) rubbing alcohol, and with all this - a battery of bandages to wrap things like paws up really good given how active he is. Oh and quick-stop bleeding powder. That's very handy to have if they break a toenail, or get a cut on their ear (which bleed like crazy!) I also have a bottle of dog-safe pain medication which we acquired from our Vet. Other than that, much of what a "human" first aid kits has, just a bit more of items like wraps, gauze and anything to clean up cuts and such. Hope that helps! Thank you for reading and safe travels on the trail!

Jennifer Langille

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, USA
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Langille
Member #

Nice story, I miss having a dog but there are simply too many places a dog cannot go. We have in the past and will in the future be crossing the border into Canada and Mexico. Europe and Australia are within our grasp. National Parks, and backpacking? NDA. Once we are done traveling, I'll definitely be getting another Aussie.
It's for sure a challenge when visiting our N.P.s though I've been informed that's not the case in Canada where most are welcoming of dogs. Those I know who have traveled to Canada and Mexico have crossed the borders with their pups with proper paperwork - now Europe and Australia would for sure be a challenge! Monty and I spent a great deal of time exploring our National Forests and BLM lands and was perfect for traveling with a pup. Thank you fro reading and sounds like you have some wonderful adventure in the planning! Cheers from Monty and I

Reactions: BWSracing