Enthusiast III

Tennessee
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mims
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STC
I want to do the river road next time we're out there, I've heard its one of the more "difficult" offroad sections, it sounds fun.
Not difficult per se, just long. Bring extra fuel to be safe, but you shouldn't need it.

If you take Black Gap Rd to where intersects with River Road East / West, Take RR East. 4Hi + 40-50MPH is a LOT OF FUN. (Until you hit an unexpected dip and launch your 4Runner in the sky...not that we did that twice).

My son enjoyed it more than the slow stuff.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Not difficult per se, just long. Bring extra fuel to be safe, but you shouldn't need it.

If you take Black Gap Rd to where intersects with River Road East / West, Take RR East. 4Hi + 40-50MPH is a LOT OF FUN. (Until you hit an unexpected dip and launch your 4Runner in the sky...not that we did that twice).

We need an lol button as well as a like button.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Kids just like going fast and big bumps. Literally since the day we brought our daughter home from the hospital, I could get her to stop crying in the car seat by swerving through a turn, or hitting a speed bump hard and fast. It’s sort of funny.

It goes without saying, but I only do this when safe and appropriate...I don’t go speeding through traffic with our daughter in the back seat. Safety and all that jazz.

Lee Mims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mims
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STC
It goes without saying, but I only do this when safe and appropriate...I don’t go speeding through traffic with our daughter in the back seat. Safety and all that jazz.
Haha it's ok I understand what you mean. I do the "fun" stuff when it's safe to do so as well.

There's always some internet hero who will tell you you're a horrible parent for exposing your kid to a brief and mild risk, but you won't hear that from me usually. I want to protect my son, but I you gotta let the line out a little sometimes :)

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Can we talk about sex? I know it may be taboo... but for those of us (hopefully most of us) who have toddlers and still like to have sex.... how do you handle this when out camping in the middle of nowhere and everyone is sleeping in the same tent?

I'd blush, but I've got 5 kids and they didn't come from drinking diet soda. So... let's be real. Anyone with any good ideas, suggestions, etc?

#noshameinmygame

Reactions: vidkun and brien

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
hah, i've been curious about this, too. Our longest trips together with the whole family so far have been about a week, so it's been not too bad holding off, but we definitely have some much longer trips coming up and are working our way towards a multi-month trip in a year or two. Up to now, we have used a combination of ground tents, hammocks, and cots for sleeping arrangements - most often my wife sleeps in the large tent with our two youngest kids, and the older boy and I sleep outside on hammocks or ground cots. Before we had the new-ish baby, we have at times set up two tents, one for the kids and one for the wife and I, which gave us the desired privacy.

In a few weeks we pick up our expedition trailer at which point we'll have an RTT and an annex, so we may do adults upstairs, kids down in the annex, which would give us some privacy. But, yeah, i'd like to hear from some of the long-timers / full-timers what arrangements are in place.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I have to say I do not have kids for a number of reason. That being side I dont have any credibility here. Wanted to say my hats off to those who are into this life style and let their kids tag along. My most cherished memorys growing up are camping and enjoying the outdoors with my parents. Listening to folks that do involve their little ones are heros in my eyes. I look back and think of all the extra time and planning it takes to bring them along. They learn to respect alot of things that way. Respecting what the man upstairs has given us. Almost 33 years old in a few days and I look back on my life and think... actually couldn’t think of whered id be in life. My mother and father taught me almost everything I know about alot of things. The rest Ive learned from mistakes or having to dig my self out of. I read a post on here at lunch and was thinking abut it most of the day. If it wasnt for those camping trips and long bumpy jeep rides with my dad. I dont think id of been the adventurous person I am today. Its always whats over that next hill. And taking what it looks like from a parents point of view I’ll never know. Seeing a smile on that kids face thats trolling down the road in the middle of a back seat of a jeep with out doors. Hell remember that. Cus to many kids these days are not getting that. I have a 10 year old nephew that lives on a cow ranch in the eastern flats of colorado. At 10 he has more work ethic and try than some 25 year olds. You are raising kids that one day are going to run this country and thats a hero! Sorry to interrupt just wanted to say keep up the good work!

KineticApex

Rank 0

Traveler I

NJ
Glad I found this thread! Now that we have a 15 month old, wifey and I still want to go camping and we've just started getting the little one off-roading with us. Will be following this for more ideas!
The bed of my Colorado was the perfect built-in pack and play for our daughter on our latest off-roading trip. Break for lunch, everyone hops out of their rigs, and the munchkin goes in the bed.

Reactions: flyingnome

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

My son is 3 and hes been exploring in tbe truck since before he could walk. I find the most excellent thing is having a group of friends that are cool with him hanging out with us. Besr thing was i found i got out more often when i have dad days during the week.

Reactions: Pindal

Dustin03

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arizona
Member #

Ha ha ha ha ha, I was thinking that we could do an "Overland Toddler Expo" with things only for the youngest of the crew.
Tips to change diapers in rain or snow, entertainment for areas of many mosquitoes, non-electronic entertainment for long hours of travel, etc.
Genius. I would take this class.

Expanding on this idea, anyone brave enough to launch a YouTube Channel? I'm thinking "Expedition Overland" meets "How to Dad".

Harmz32

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Ahrens
Member #

Having just gotten into the overlanding idea, but having been into camping and backpacking in the past, we've started to introduce our munckin to it (she's now 2.5 yrs old). We were out for one camping trip last fall, and plan to get out much more this coming fall. She definitely enjoyed it last year, even though the overnight temps sunk into the 40's. Luckily we were prepared, and kept out Kodiak 10x14 tent warmer with a small electric heater. So far, she travels well and sleeps in her pack and play well, and while we have relatively strict routine at home as far as bedtime goes, we are a little more relaxed in a new-to-her situation (first night of a trip, etc), until she can get a feel for the routine and how things are different. Definitely looking forward to some more travel and camping this coming fall.

What kind of pack n play is that?

Reactions: martin_j001

Harmz32

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Ahrens
Member #

I love this thread. We have two nuggets 4/3 and we are getting ready to move to Botswana. I am new to overlanding but we plan on hitting the road every weekend. We are looking at driving all over Southern Africa to include Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and South Africa. We have so much to learn about bringing the kids along and this thread has so much information. Thank you guys for sharing.

Reactions: Hourless Life

Danny Boy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntington Beach, California, United States
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Romeyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5HKQ
We have an 8 month old. And we actually started prioritizing camping once a month if possible once she was about 4 months old. My wife and I both grew up backpacking and camping, don’t really have the energy to do that as new parents, so now we car camp. Or overland. Or whatever the cool kids are calling it these days.

We’ve been on 3 trips this summer, with the roof top tent. We’ve got 3 more coming up this fall and winter. Just some random observations:

1) pack and play is worth the space it takes up in the rig. We know our daughter is 100% safe in that and isn’t going to get dirty or scratched. Also great for naps.

2) RTT is fine. The 3 of us sleep up there together, it’s a bit tight but it works. She normally sleeps at my wife’s feet, on a little bed of folded up blankets. If she wakes up and is fussy we put her between us.

3) Bedtime is rough. We’ve learned to not force 7:30 bedtime when camping, it just doesn’t work as well. So bedtime for the baby is later. But we still put her to bed way before we go to bed. She also has a lot more trouble going to sleep because she’s not in a quiet room, there’s a lot more lights and sounds at night that are distracting to her when we’re trying to get her to sleep. My wife normally takes her up in the RTT, nurses her and gets her almost asleep, then we let her cry it out for a while. Then she’s fine. And we can hang out around the campfire and be normal adults for a few minutes.

4) we don’t worry about her falling out of the RTT. We just fold up all the windows but zip all the mesh doors and windows closed and she can’t get out. She’s normally fine, one time she rolled into a corner funny and woke up crying, we went up there, fixed her up and got her back to sleep. She’s not going to fall out, and we’re sitting right under the tent, we will hear it if she has a problem.

Our long term plan is having her sleep in a cot in the RTT annex we keep attached, as soon as she’s old enough to sleep on her own in a tent without getting scared, or without us worrying about her falling off the cot or something. We don’t do the cosleeping thing, that’s just not us. She’s just too young to be on her own if she’s not in her crib, at least that’s how we feel for now.

All in all, it’s doable. Difficult, but I think everything about parenting is more difficult than the non-parenting version lol.
I am quoting an early post in this thread, but any rersponse would be great. We have a 21 month old and looking to start camping with him. We are planning our fiorst trip and looking at the weather it will be nice and a bit cold chilly at night roughly 40 degrees. How do you folks keep the kiddos warm?

Pindal

Rank V

Influencer II

California
Member #

I am quoting an early post in this thread, but any rersponse would be great. We have a 21 month old and looking to start camping with him. We are planning our fiorst trip and looking at the weather it will be nice and a bit cold chilly at night roughly 40 degrees. How do you folks keep the kiddos warm?
Congratulations on your baby, they are always the greatest blessing in life.
My three children (2 boys and 1 little girl) have had their first camp at 9 months and one of them at 6 or 7.
The first two did not have so many comforts because that happened more than 17 years ago. The smallest one has enjoyed a Roof Top Tent and a 270 awning with walls.
The RTT with its extensions and the awning with walls are usually the solution for almost everything.
If the cold is very low you can use a herer "Mr Buddy", that will solve the problem.
For the awning there are no problems, nor for the extensions of the tent, but if you want to put it for a short time in the RTT try to have a permanent almost horizontal ventilation when inheriting.
Another important point, please DON'T FILL IT IN CLOTHING, ha ha ha ha, the biggest of mine looked like a little robot when we were camping in the snow since it couldn't move (poor baby).
Now there are very good and light clothes, maybe more expensive but you and your baby will thank you.
Another element to take into account. If the cold is really too much, which probably isn't lying with you inside your sleeping bag.
Although we all know that for some reason you will end up sleeping through the entire tent.
Important, do not forget is that if he is cold or uncomfortable he or she will know how to express it.
Let me know if you need any more guidance.

Reactions: Danny Boy

Danny Boy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntington Beach, California, United States
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Romeyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5HKQ
Congratulations on your baby, they are always the greatest blessing in life.
My three children (2 boys and 1 little girl) have had their first camp at 9 months and one of them at 6 or 7.
The first two did not have so many comforts because that happened more than 17 years ago. The smallest one has enjoyed a Roof Top Tent and a 270 awning with walls.
The RTT with its extensions and the awning with walls are usually the solution for almost everything.
If the cold is very low you can use a herer "Mr Buddy", that will solve the problem.
For the awning there are no problems, nor for the extensions of the tent, but if you want to put it for a short time in the RTT try to have a permanent almost horizontal ventilation when inheriting.
Another important point, please DON'T FILL IT IN CLOTHING, ha ha ha ha, the biggest of mine looked like a little robot when we were camping in the snow since it couldn't move (poor baby).
Now there are very good and light clothes, maybe more expensive but you and your baby will thank you.
Another element to take into account. If the cold is really too much, which probably isn't lying with you inside your sleeping bag.
Although we all know that for some reason you will end up sleeping through the entire tent.
Important, do not forget is that if he is cold or uncomfortable he or she will know how to express it.
Let me know if you need any more guidance.
Thanks for the reply. I looked into the little buddy heater. Those things should work great. I was always under the impression heaters in a tent were a no no. Never knew these existed. I have motorcycle camped for roughly 10 years, so luxuries like that were not even an option. Just now getting into camping with a vehicle and being able to take more items with me....hahahah. Going this weekend on a short trial camp trip with the family and see if they like it. Im pretty sure my son will love it as he loves to explore and being outdoors. This will be my wife's first camping experience, so I am trying to make it as comfy as possible for her. I really want her to enjoy it so we can do more of these type trips as a family.

Pindal

Rank V

Influencer II

California
Member #

Thanks for the reply. I looked into the little buddy heater. Those things should work great. I was always under the impression heaters in a tent were a no no. Never knew these existed. I have motorcycle camped for roughly 10 years, so luxuries like that were not even an option. Just now getting into camping with a vehicle and being able to take more items with me....hahahah. Going this weekend on a short trial camp trip with the family and see if they like it. Im pretty sure my son will love it as he loves to explore and being outdoors. This will be my wife's first camping experience, so I am trying to make it as comfy as possible for her. I really want her to enjoy it so we can do more of these type trips as a family.
In truth, I hope your wife likes it too.
Your son will surely love it and I guarantee that in the end the parents only leave memories and education. I have never known in what percentage, but every day I think more than 80% memories and 20% education.
For now you will have the privilege of seeing him close his eyes and put him in the tent, then the explorations will come by the rocks or maybe his first time he catches something, there is also the moment when he wants to cook and then some songs, stories or deep conversations of A child who is entering the youth stage.
It may go a little away during adolescence, but it will return to the stories of fires and the moments in which you looked into each other's eyes in complicity with the world.
Nothing is worth more effort than that.
Enjoy your baby to the fullest, for you every second is the most important moment of life.
Blessings.

Reactions: Danny Boy