Overlanding With Toddlers Discussion Thread

• HTML tutorial

Pindal

Rank V

Influencer II

California
Member #

Thanks for the reply. I looked into the little buddy heater. Those things should work great. I was always under the impression heaters in a tent were a no no. Never knew these existed. I have motorcycle camped for roughly 10 years, so luxuries like that were not even an option. Just now getting into camping with a vehicle and being able to take more items with me....hahahah. Going this weekend on a short trial camp trip with the family and see if they like it. Im pretty sure my son will love it as he loves to explore and being outdoors. This will be my wife's first camping experience, so I am trying to make it as comfy as possible for her. I really want her to enjoy it so we can do more of these type trips as a family.
Sorry for the distraction but forget to ask if it's a girl or a boy and what's his or her name.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I am quoting an early post in this thread, but any rersponse would be great. We have a 21 month old and looking to start camping with him. We are planning our fiorst trip and looking at the weather it will be nice and a bit cold chilly at night roughly 40 degrees. How do you folks keep the kiddos warm?
Hoping you've had all your questions answered. I just saw this.

Our little traveling companion has been a fulltime traveler since birth. We've been in subfreezing temperatures and desert heat. The most important thing is to make sure the little one is hydrated in both situations.

As far as cold, someone has already mentioned the portable Mr. Buddy heater. We use this but only in the mornings and evenings as we are either getting into or out of our sleeping bags. We turn it on for about a minute in our RTT and it heats it up like an oven. Then we shut it off and get changed in the warmth that it has produced.

Don't skimp on the little one's sleeping bag. Our son uses a Big Agnes Lost Ranger bag and it has served him very well. Also make sure that your little one is wearing a hat at night. Most heat escapes from the head and it is typically the only part that is uncovered during the night.

For babies, a baby carrier or sling keeps the baby close to an adult for body heat.

Use extreme caution with any heat source (fire or portable heater) as they tend to crawl or toddle towards the light. I typically place myself between our son and any heat source unless I'm physically holding him.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Happy to be a resource. And lastly, good on you for taking your little one out exploring! ~ Eric

Little-Nomad-Hat.png

Elco joe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ouray, CO, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Skalsky
Member #

My two little ladies are 5 and 3, like to go off-roading as they say. It’s a blast to have them come along and their enthusiasm is infectious. My 5 year old has recently drew pictures of our adventures this past summer. I can’t wait til spring and summer to get them back up in the San Juan’s again.

Danny Boy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntington Beach, California, United States
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Romeyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5HKQ
Hoping you've had all your questions answered. I just saw this.

Our little traveling companion has been a fulltime traveler since birth. We've been in subfreezing temperatures and desert heat. The most important thing is to make sure the little one is hydrated in both situations.

As far as cold, someone has already mentioned the portable Mr. Buddy heater. We use this but only in the mornings and evenings as we are either getting into or out of our sleeping bags. We turn it on for about a minute in our RTT and it heats it up like an oven. Then we shut it off and get changed in the warmth that it has produced.

Don't skimp on the little one's sleeping bag. Our son uses a Big Agnes Lost Ranger bag and it has served him very well. Also make sure that your little one is wearing a hat at night. Most heat escapes from the head and it is typically the only part that is uncovered during the night.

For babies, a baby carrier or sling keeps the baby close to an adult for body heat.

Use extreme caution with any heat source (fire or portable heater) as they tend to crawl or toddle towards the light. I typically place myself between our son and any heat source unless I'm physically holding him.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Happy to be a resource. And lastly, good on you for taking your little one out exploring! ~ Eric

View attachment 128442
Thank you for all the info. This is a lot of good info. We did a one night trial run and had checked the weather before we left and it said low 40s and it ended up around 36. We had some personal things happen the week of the trip so our packing felt rushed. Well I had all the camp gear and forgot my warm clothes. Not sure how that happened, but I froze. I think my son needed more warmth and a hat would have been great, but he did fine. My wife as well got cold as she also forgot some warm items. I bought a little buddy before the trip and this was the first time to use it. We couldn’t get it started at night while getting ready for bed. Finally got it going in the morning before we got ready. I need warmer sleeping bags and a tent setup for winter....Sleeping bags at least.

Looking forward to making my changes and giving it another go sometime soon.