Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Seems most info is about mod rigs as if to say one can't go overlanding to adventure in a stock vehicle. It seems that the manufacturers of 4X4's wouldn't agree given that they have invested no small amount of effort in R&D and they outfit with suspensions, drives, AT tires (etc) and market specifically claiming that capability. What are the realities of overlanding in a stock 4X4? What are the capabilities and restrictions associated with "stock"? Why do you say that larger tires and lifts are "required"? Does adventure require investments into a modified rig?
You nailed it. Once they have invested in that lifted overland rig they need constant ego stroking to convince everyone what they have is better.

In reality the factory has a much biggr research and development budget than any after market manufacturer. In reality it is all hype. I've been doing it for 40 years. Modified rigs might excel at specific tasks for a defined period of time until something breaks. Completely stock most vehicles are far more reliable and reliability for an overlander should be the rule, not the exception. Guys who mod their rigs and post their adventures on youtube are looking for confirmation they are geniuses. It is all about ego. There are many more overlanders doing far more ambitious adventures in stock vehicles and not wasting time on youtube documentation.

The reality of overlanding in a stock 4x4.... You will go farther on a gallon of gas. I changed from 33x10.50s to 7.50R16s and went from 17mpg to 22mpg. That one change added 95 miles to the range of my TJR. With stock springs and tires the ride will be much smoother. Yes you will be more comfortable but that ride also means less mechanical stress on the vehicle. And all those dollars saved can be spent on adventure.

There are more restrictions on modified rigs than stock rigs.

Adventure just requires curiosity.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Which "stock" 4x4?

There is a substantial difference between a stock Jeep JK Rubicon and a stock Jeep Patriot 4x4. The stock Rubicon is going to go plenty of places the Patriot has no business even thinking of going.

The question is pretty broad, with lots of variables.
But no matter what you do to that Patriot it is not going to equal the stock Rubicon. More to the point once you are done modifying that Patriot you'll need a trailer to haul it home after it breaks. It makes no matter which stock 4x4 we are talking about modifying them stresses other components leading to another modification breaking something else....... all the while every mod adds to the weight and decreases fuel economy reducing range dramatically so you add jerry cans to make sure you can get home.... which again adds weight.

The question is pretty focused. Mods create stress and reduce range.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
IT CANT BE DONE !!! DONT TRY IT !!!! how could you imagine going over landing without a roof top tent, without Max tracks and gas cans strapped all over your rig , How would anybody know you’ve gone somewhere without patches all over your ceiling And how would you be able to convey to the rest of the world that you are truly a Overlander unless you have a lift kit and aftermarket wheels to really spice up your Instagram photos that you’re taking right next to a campground.
Honestly most everybody is overthinking this thing before it was called Overlanding it was just called car camping. Toss some sleeping gear in there bring a little bit of food and go drive down some gravel roads and enjoy your day.
You forgot the trasheroo, drone, and YouTube channel. Lol

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
My overlanding rig is a 2wd Tahoe with a factory locker. it also has police suspension, meaning it has a 3 inch DROP compared to a consumer version. I have a blast off-road. My biggest challenge is washboard roads. With 60 series tires, airing down isn’t an option. On the flip side. 98% of my driving, like most everyone, is on pavement where it handles like a slot car. Bottom line, I’m not changing a thing. I get out and enjoy the trip whatever the terrain.

• Love
Reactions: Billiebob

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hey guy's, I use my roof rack for more than just overlanding or travel. I have a heavy duty one (loads up to 800#) that I can put a sheet of plywood on and a couple of chairs and watch outdoor events above everybody else, events like 4th of July displays, off road racing, mud bog spectating , tractor pulls, Rodeo's etc., so don't be knocking the roof rack. It also hauls my building materials and other things. :- )

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My overlanding rig is a 2wd Tahoe with a factory locker. it also has police suspension, meaning it has a 3 inch DROP compared to a consumer version. I have a blast off-road. My biggest challenge is washboard roads. With 60 series tires, airing down isn’t an option. On the flip side. 98% of my driving, like most everyone, is on pavement where it handles like a slot car. Bottom line, I’m not changing a thing. I get out and enjoy the trip whatever the terrain.
When you say you have a locker are you talking about a posi-trac type locker. I think most heavy duty and police, taxi type auto's have them. I agree they will take you to a lot of places but the places I go they wont cut the mustard. I don't go to severe regions but bad enough and far enough away from civilization I need the security of 4 wheel drive with rear wheel locker or posi. I agree with knowing your limits and not be foolish. A simple fan belt loss can be as bad or worse than being hung up on a tree or rock somewhere. At my age I don't go as far into the boonies as I want, I go as far as I can wisely !

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Hes probably talking about the G80 locker GM put in a lot of trucks and suvs. It allowd a certain rpm differential left to right before locking. Good serviceable diff but not happy with big throttle openings.

Auzzyrocks

Rank 0

Contributor I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Shouli
that'll be me :-)
2WD and it gets me out and about.
it's all about the tyres.

View attachment 123908
It’s nice to see another Vanagon here! I took my 2wd Vanagon to Vancouver Island and got to plenty of fun places... yes, I would like to have 4x4 and lockers, but I wouldn’t trade my van for anything-

they are fairly capable stock, but a few upgrades go a long way... such as 16” wheels (don’t laugh, it’s as big as I can go without substantial suspension modification) and a bit of lift... and when I rebuild the extra transmission sitting in my garage, I’ll add a positronic differential, and maybe a locker.

That said, a stock Vanagon is a very different beast than a most stock 4x4s... my partners stock 05 Xterra is very capable. One could argue money might be better spent (at first) on recovery gear

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hes probably talking about the G80 locker GM put in a lot of trucks and suvs. It allowd a certain rpm differential left to right before locking. Good serviceable diff but not happy with big throttle openings.
I have always thought a heavy throttle was what activates the locking devise. All I know is that type Diff in my Ford's has been all I ever needed and included my old 67 Bronco and 80 model short passenger van. My LRD2 has the select wheel locker front and back and I'm good with it's capabilities in stock form. I don't get crazy though. Slow and easy it takes me wherever I want to go !

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
Any thoughts or experience any can share with Hankook AT tires?
I love them. going on 4 years now on the Tahoe and they are just getting to where i want to (don't need to) replace them. This time I will get the LT instead of the p metric. I put LT's on the 4runner and I like them a lot better.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It’s nice to see another Vanagon here! I took my 2wd Vanagon to Vancouver Island and got to plenty of fun places... yes, I would like to have 4x4 and lockers, but I wouldn’t trade my van for anything-

they are fairly capable stock, but a few upgrades go a long way... such as 16” wheels (don’t laugh, it’s as big as I can go without substantial suspension modification) and a bit of lift... and when I rebuild the extra transmission sitting in my garage, I’ll add a positronic differential, and maybe a locker.

That said, a stock Vanagon is a very different beast than a most stock 4x4s... my partners stock 05 Xterra is very capable. One could argue money might be better spent (at first) on recovery gear
I like the Vanagon a lot. If it takes you where you want to go without 4 wheel drive, it's good enough. I had an 80 model Ford full size short passenger van for 10 years that took me and my family of six kid's everywhere with just the posi diff. I just didn't do anything stupid with it !

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Mods create stress and reduce range.
That is not a universal truth.

The addition of frame plating on my XJ has reduced stress on the chassis and made no measureable difference in fuel economy. The weight of a passenger is more detrimental to the vehicle than is the frame plating.

I haven't yet gotten around to replacing the weak tie rod ends on my Suburban, but the aftermarket ones are a definite improvement. The OEM design is known to be weak and failure prone.

Having had a career in manufacturing engineering I know for a fact that many production decisions are made for the sake of improving the company's bottom line at the expense of the quality the consumer will receive. "Planned obsolescense" is regarded as a benefit when it means you get to sell yet another widget.

You are welcome to keep things stock, but that doesn't mean you have a superior vehicle. There are pros and cons to everything.

Contributor I

Texarkana
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Williams
How about some discussion, or a YouTube, about overlanding in a stock 4X4? Seems most info is about mod rigs as if to say one can't go overlanding to adventure in a stock vehicle. It seems that the manufacturers of 4X4's wouldn't agree given that they have invested no small amount of effort in R&D and they outfit with suspensions, drives, AT tires (etc) and market specifically claiming that capability. What are the realities of overlanding in a stock 4X4? What are the capabilities and restrictions associated with "stock"? Why do you say that larger tires and lifts are "required"? Does adventure require investments into a modified rig? I'm an old sailor and we had the expression that "paradise looks the same regardless of the size of the cockpit".
Outdoors4adventure here, we are in east Texas. We overland in the ouachita national forest quit often. We use a 2006 Nissan Titan. The only major mods on our rig are shocks and tires. It is quite capable ,we just try not to get into more than we think it can handle. We do have it setup with a bed rack , rooftop tent, propane and ect. We have a youtube channel. Just search Outdoors4adventure and we come up. The channel is not just overlanding. We basically have been in setup and experimenting mode and plan on a lot more overlanding type videos for 2020. You can check out our truck on the channel. New here so I have just started looking around the site.

Reactions: Captstout

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

The addition of frame plating on my XJ has reduced stress on the chassis and made no measureable difference in fuel economy. The weight of a passenger is more detrimental to the vehicle than is the frame plating.

I haven't yet gotten around to replacing the weak tie rod ends on my Suburban, but the aftermarket ones are a definite improvement. The OEM design is known to be weak and failure prone.

Having had a career in manufacturing engineering I know for a fact that many production decisions are made for the sake of improving the company's bottom line at the expense of the quality the consumer will receive. "Planned obsolescense" is regarded as a benefit when it means you get to sell yet another widget.

You are welcome to keep things stock, but that doesn't mean you have a superior vehicle. There are pros and cons to everything.
Yup, there is a time and place for mod's. There is a thing called overkill, a lot of people go there. Hopefully experience will be your best teacher.

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

I want to point out...I love watching the folks on YouTube, modifying their rigs and doing cool trips.

I probably won't be doing a ton of mods (winch and lockers only) to our new rig (when that time comes). But those are areas I have decided I need for the type of driving I do.

But I have also decided I will probably get a full-sized half ton and a pop up slide in camper.

Do what works for you I do envy the folks with the sponsors and money for the built rigs. It works for them.

Auzzyrocks

Rank 0

Contributor I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Shouli

I think this is a very unrecognized point. Most overlanders I see I driving <10 year old rigs, most even newer. You’ve hardly hit the point of planned obsolescence yet.

Researching and driving a 34 year old vehicle, there are design flaws, or things that were just never meant to last that long. Preventative upgrades are the best upgrades. I might not be as ‘sexy’ as more lift or a bumper, but you don’t want to be driving a Vanagon with stock coolant lines or fuel lines... stock only last so long

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I have always thought a heavy throttle was what activates the locking devise. All I know is that type Diff in my Ford's has been all I ever needed and included my old 67 Bronco and 80 model short passenger van. My LRD2 has the select wheel locker front and back and I'm good with it's capabilities in stock form. I don't get crazy though. Slow and easy it takes me wherever I want to go !
Yes it does need some wheel spin to activate but theres videos of guys out doing donuts in dirt field in a stock truck that blow parts in the diff.

johnandashleyadventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Torrance, Los Angeles County, California, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Bianchette
Member #

Shortly after buying our JK we took an offroading class. He kept stressing how "capable" our vehicle was as-is and then proceeded to prove it to us through the experiences of the class. Bottom line, without changing a thing we were able to do a whole lot...more than I ever would have guessed.

Think most people underestimate what their stock vehicle can do and overestimate what they actually intend to do with it. Most of the mods I have done have been for either safety or to just learn more about my vehicle by turning a few wrenches. It is an enjoyable experience making it unique and our own.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Yes on the G80, and I’ve had no complaints about it so far.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Yes on the G80, and I’ve had no complaints about it so far.
I would be curious to see if it's actually the Eaton Gov. Lock or a clutch style possi based on what the rig was intended to be used for. That said I have done tons of wheeling with Gov. Locks and not had problems, you just need to know they don't like full throttle so just don't mat it and you'll be fine.