• HTML tutorial

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
We can wheel all year if you know where to go, but it gets really hard on things. Lots of RPM's and clutch work. I try to stay low (out of the mountains) in the easier areas to save wear and tear. Save that for summer.
We have a few places that we can go but majority of the area is run by the snomobile clubs in the winter. I have plenty of work to do on mine so I have been driving the compass while I tear the LJ apart

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

We have a few places that we can go but majority of the area is run by the snomobile clubs in the winter. I have plenty of work to do on mine so I have been driving the compass while I tear the LJ apart
It doesn't matter what your driving at least your out doing things. Hopefully your repairs are not too bad and fairly cheap! I want to keep building mine up more, but it all costs money.

I got to check on my kid, so have a good evening. Stay in touch.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yep frozen butts are a regular thing with our style of camping. make a fire a sleep next to it. I use more shelter in the summer because of bugs than I do in the winter.

View attachment 134652
Brrrrrrrrrr I can feel it and I'm not even there. Shows how young you are James

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I can't find a picture at the moment but i converted an old .50 cal ammo can in to a little wood stove. A small bundle of hardwood will keep that thing simmering for a long time. Coupled with a shelter made from a couple shelter half ponchos and you can stay warm in some ridiculous temps.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I took the Bill Burke 3-day 4x4 class last year & learned a ton. One of the things I learned is just how much you can do with a stock 4x4 and not needing to use all the stuff you do have all the time. There certainly seems to be trade offs & I'm the guy that would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. That being said, I was VERY surprised at what my van can do just by knowing how to drive the conditions and what the limitations of my vehicle are. One of the things I loved about this class is I learned how to drive the van without using all the stuff I had available to me (basically using it as a stock 4x4) and still went everywhere he took us.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I can't find a picture at the moment but i converted an old .50 cal ammo can in to a little wood stove. A small bundle of hardwood will keep that thing simmering for a long time. Coupled with a shelter made from a couple shelter half ponchos and you can stay warm in some ridiculous temps.
If you find the pic I want to see it. I love DIY projects like that with ammo can and old propane or air bottle stoves. I've always been intrigued with wood burning boat stoves or caboose stoves for heating. I'm tempted to put one in my Scamp trailer I like them so much. I like winter camping but it's been awhile since I've done it. Maybe soon..

Reactions: Sparksalot

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I took the Bill Burke 3-day 4x4 class last year & learned a ton. One of the things I learned is just how much you can do with a stock 4x4 and not needing to use all the stuff you do have all the time. There certainly seems to be trade offs & I'm the guy that would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. That being said, I was VERY surprised at what my van can do just by knowing how to drive the conditions and what the limitations of my vehicle are. One of the things I loved about this class is I learned how to drive the van without using all the stuff I had available to me (basically using it as a stock 4x4) and still went everywhere he took us.
I never took classes but have driven off road since I was a kid 12 years old. I had a 67 Bronco full cab in the 80's. I built a performance engine and larger tires with altered flared wheel wells. Otherwise it was stock. It had factory 4:10 's and I went anywhere I wanted to go. It was the best sand hill climer in the area and a true snow bird in the desert and mountains. I was a fool to ever get rid of it.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

If you find the pic I want to see it. I love DIY projects like that with ammo can and old propane or air bottle stoves. I've always been intrigued with wood burning boat stoves or caboose stoves for heating. I'm tempted to put one in my Scamp trailer I like them so much. I like winter camping but it's been awhile since I've done it. Maybe soon..
Found a video from a while back. I have made a few modifications since shooting this but you get the idea. First thing to point out that most dont realize is I have the ammo can upside down.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
It doesn't matter what your driving at least your out doing things. Hopefully your repairs are not too bad and fairly cheap! I want to keep building mine up more, but it all costs money.

I got to check on my kid, so have a good evening. Stay in touch.
It has some body work that that needs to get done, replace a windshield and replace the steering box. I have been putting these things off for a while lol

Reactions: GetOutand4WD

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Brrrrrrrrrr I can feel it and I'm not even there. Shows how young you are James
Ha ha not as young as I once was that's for sure. Going to be 31 in less than a month, I've got back issues and I'm having surgery to fix a torn tendon in my wrist ( from just over a year ago). My wife and I have spent a lot of time living out of a backpack over the years so I got used to not having much with me pretty quickly.

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

I never took classes but have driven off road since I was a kid 12 years old. I had a 67 Bronco full cab in the 80's. I built a performance engine and larger tires with altered flared wheel wells. Otherwise it was stock. It had factory 4:10 's and I went anywhere I wanted to go. It was the best sand hill climer in the area and a true snow bird in the desert and mountains. I was a fool to ever get rid of it.
I will have to get the pics off my computer, but my son at 12 last year tore it up in a bone stock 1998 XJ sport. My sons friends dad would drive the XJ out, and when we would get off road we would switch drivers. You would be amazed where a stock rig can go.

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Found a video from a while back. I have made a few modifications since shooting this but you get the idea. First thing to point out that most dont realize is I have the ammo can upside down.

I like it. With my new flux welder it would be a snap. There was another video from utube on your video menu that makes a stove from an ammo box too. I like his tail pipe smoke stack really well and I think I could make a stove similar to both yours and his very easily. I liked his stove legs a lot, you should watch the video.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ha ha not as young as I once was that's for sure. Going to be 31 in less than a month, I've got back issues and I'm having surgery to fix a torn tendon in my wrist ( from just over a year ago). My wife and I have spent a lot of time living out of a backpack over the years so I got used to not having much with me pretty quickly.
Sorry your needing surgery. I need a lot of it but I'm too old IMO to undergo spinal surgery, knee replacement and hip replacement. Each operation takes six months of recovery if they are successful. Being 85 I don't want to spend the rest of my life in surgery and recovery. By the time I recovered from all that I'd probably end up kicking the bucket with my luck. I'll just enjoy what I can when I can and bug you guy's out there in OB land. :tonguewink:

Reactions: Trail_pilot

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

I will have to get the pics off my computer, but my son at 12 last year tore it up in a bone stock 1998 XJ sport. My sons friends dad would drive the XJ out, and when we would get off road we would switch drivers. You would be amazed where a stock rig can go.
Here are a couple pics. No winching was allowed. I wanted them to learn to unstuck themselves, and figure out with a little work you can do it. We shoveled a lot on these trips but it was fun!20190113_122229.jpg20190120_113241.jpg20190120_113236.jpg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
These are my Stock 4x4s. Other than getting better tires, I do nothing to them except maintenance and using sound judgement on where I go. We try something risky every once in awhile, but as @GetOutand4WD shows above you have to be prepared to work.

Right now, we just hang out shuffling around our home state of Pennsylvania, so we pretty much know what we will need when we will need it.

We do plan to travel in the future, so we are starting to incorporate longer distances with more time away from pavement.
20191103_134650.jpg20190603_123925.jpg20171021_133302.jpg20160831_122241.jpg20160628_113336.jpg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I once traveled the entire globe in a Toyota Camry , I even climbed Everest in it , jumped the snake river canyon and found the lost city of Atlantis, I would have taken pictures but I knew it wasn’t instagram worthy and without a RTT I knew I wouldn’t have the credibility to have my journey taken seriously . 9CEF31AB-7D02-4D57-8140-5107CECD94D7.gif

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

My dad used to 'overland' (camp in the middle of nowhere, might of been illegal), in a old vanagon van when we were kids.
He brought 2x4s in case he got stuck. But he was raised in the mountains and is pretty crafty.

My wrangler is pretty much stock, other than the 285 70 17 tires, it goes pretty much anywhere I need it to.

NV Badlands

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carson Valley, Nevada
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Hutchings
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9DEM
Service Branch
Air Force
It’s not difficult with stock 4x4’s. I put over 5k miles off road with my baby Cherokee KL with 4x4. And on the stock all terrain tires until a year ago. Not a lot of rock-crawling type trails, but it only got stuck twice in 5 years, and they were both ditch-related user error situations. I finally traded it in on a new Ranger with the FX4 package last month, and the only thing I plan to do to it is KO2’s after the stock AT’s wear out like I did with the Jeep.