Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Really good thread...it reflects not only Overlanding, but life in general. Its like people who just need a laptop to surf the internet and check email and end up getting some full blown system that's 4 or 5 times more gear and money than they'll ever use. Really don't need dual processors and a gaming level video board for checking email and posting on facebook. I really agree with all those on here who have stated the importance of bettering one's skills versus buying more gear. I'm doing another build out for a camp rig and was falling into that mind set of more and bigger being better...after reading this and self reflecting, I redesigned a good bit of what I was doing and ended up REALLY streamlining stuff and as a result have saved a LOT of money as well as headache. I can't even count how times in life I have gone overboard on things for the "just in case". Well, "just in case" rarely ever happens and when it has, I always end up using the basic stuff because it ends up being what I'm more used to and more comfortable using...hence the advice of learning skill improvement over more gear.
Of course there are those on here who will need to go beyond the norm for what they are doing, but for most, going "stock" and using the basics is really great and accurate advice. Thanks to everyone who has posted.
Yup, there is a huge difference in the needs for an overnight or weekend stay than what you need for an extended stay somewhere.

There is also big differences in what you need when you go solo compared to having your wife and family with you. You will PROBABLY need more creature comforts for those that travel with you than you MIGHT need in a solo situation.

Your age makes a big difference in your needs as I can attest. I cant sleep in a bed roll on the ground like I use to do cuddled up close to a small camp fire. (Oh to be young again)

The same goes for your rig. If you don't plan to go extreme rock crawling, why build your rig to do that sort of thing. Any normally aspired 4 wheel drive should be sufficient for 98% of our adventures without major alterations or modifications. (Tires might be the exception depending on the road conditions you encounter on a daily basis) I think the expression " sufficient for your needs" might be the best goal of our build and add as you see a need.

Love all you DYI guys and gals, ingenuity and how to make something work for you and sharing the info is appreciated.

morganwest95

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
First Name
Morgan
Last Name
West
Member #

I think most people here have answered the question already. It just depends on what you need and where you want to go. Personally, unless you want to hit trails that are a 7/10 or harder, the most you should really do to a touring/overlanding vehicle in my opinion is some upgraded suspension and bigger tires, whatever is appropriate for your vehicle. But you don’t need that either. It’s more of a comfort while driving thing.

If I just got a better cooler or a fridge to strap in my back seat, I could do week long trips in the middle of absolutely nowhere with my stock truck. I might just pack an extra crate of supplies with another water can and fuel. I do plan to put the aforementioned upgrades on it soon for my own peace of mind while going over obstacles like rocks, but I have taken my truck plenty of places that it shouldn’t have been. I get a lot of snide comments from Jeep tour drivers and their passengers in Sedona like “wow you’re brave” or “I wouldn’t wheel that out here”, but I go everywhere they go no problem.

One more thing though that might persuade somebody to build up their vehicle a little more. The more capable your vehicle is, the farther out you can take it. You will be able to get to more pristine and untouched areas because most people can’t get there. Personally, that’s a draw for me. When I camp, I only want the company that I invited around me.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Couldn't have said it better myself. This coming from a guy with a built LJ on 37" tires. If I could tone the build back now I would but I also like to get out to where nobody else can.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I think most people here have answered the question already. It just depends on what you need and where you want to go. Personally, unless you want to hit trails that are a 7/10 or harder, the most you should really do to a touring/overlanding vehicle in my opinion is some upgraded suspension and bigger tires, whatever is appropriate for your vehicle. But you don’t need that either. It’s more of a comfort while driving thing.

If I just got a better cooler or a fridge to strap in my back seat, I could do week long trips in the middle of absolutely nowhere with my stock truck. I might just pack an extra crate of supplies with another water can and fuel. I do plan to put the aforementioned upgrades on it soon for my own peace of mind while going over obstacles like rocks, but I have taken my truck plenty of places that it shouldn’t have been. I get a lot of snide comments from Jeep tour drivers and their passengers in Sedona like “wow you’re brave” or “I wouldn’t wheel that out here”, but I go everywhere they go no problem.

One more thing though that might persuade somebody to build up their vehicle a little more. The more capable your vehicle is, the farther out you can take it. You will be able to get to more pristine and untouched areas because most people can’t get there. Personally, that’s a draw for me. When I camp, I only want the company that I invited around me.
I think we are of the same mind set.
I'm not as interested in getting to places others cant, as much as I am interested in going to places other people don't go. There are plenty of pristine places to go that don't require anything more than a stock 4x4. What comes to my mind is the old Camel Trophy Land Rover Discoveries that went around the world in basically stock units. Of course there safety was in numbers and it wasn't a solo event.

I'm not talking about an all wheel drive vehicle, they are usually too low and too expensive to modify and still be limited by not having a low range transfer case. I have one so I know its limits. I'm talking about a normally aspired 4x4 truck or SUV with a low range transfer case.

I also have a 1984 Dodge Ram 250 4x4 p.u. that is stock and has more height than my Land Rover Discovery with a 2" lift. So as far as going over rocks etc. the old Dodge is better than my LRD2 . The old Dodge has better gearing with its 410:1 rating and big one ton stock axles front and rear with a locking devise in the rear. I would be using it but the gas mileage is somewhere around 8 mpg. That limits me to local back road boon docking adventures. Size has never been a problem for me, I have a reverse gear and use it.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Couldn't have said it better myself. This coming from a guy with a built LJ on 37" tires. If I could tone the build back now I would but I also like to get out to where nobody else can.
The vast majority of people far underestimate a stock or nearly stock vehicle's performance. I follow expedition overland on youtube and the size of those guy's vehicles (both tire and physical size of the vehicle are probably more of a hindrance than a help on most of the trips I've watched them on. They could have accomplished more with less drama with a stockish sized tire, some armor and a locker or two.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I kind of need to upgrade my suspension. The leaf springs are 23 years old and starting to sag. Any load in the hatch causes it to sag too far. A set of Ironman 4x4 leaf springs that are heavier duty are the same price as factory replacements so it makes sense. So it will end up with a 1.5-2.0" lift and shocks to match. That and stepping up from the stock 235/75R15's to 32/11.50R15 will put me square in the territory of many other stock mid-sized rigs.

I was also digging through and printing out wiring schematics and found out that there are provisions for an optional air compressor, tank, and locker from the factory. So I'm gonna do that and still say it's "stock".

Reactions: Dilldog and M Rose

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
The vast majority of people far underestimate a stock or nearly stock vehicle's performance. I follow expedition overland on youtube and the size of those guy's vehicles (both tire and physical size of the vehicle are probably more of a hindrance than a help on most of the trips I've watched them on. They could have accomplished more with less drama with a stockish sized tire, some armor and a locker or two.
I agree. Mine is built up now for the trails I run, but I have used many stock vehicles in the past and will continue to do so with my Compass. I have had multiple jeeps, a pathfinder, a blazer, multiple cars, a Patriot and now a compass as my daily driver. I even lived in the blazer in high school when I was kicked out of my house, I used to drive it down to the town docks and charge my gear from the charge ports offered to the boats, and then head up into the woods on the railroad maintenance trails to sleep. Luckily I was able to borrow a shower from friends houses along the way. All stock vehicles except for my current TJ and it's not the only vehicle I have. I fully believe in running them stock until stock doesn't cut it.

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Go, When you get to a place you’re not comfortable stop. Take little steps or go with somebody with experience. You can go plenty of places with a stock truck with or without 4x4.
I had a rule before I had an upgraded vehicle (winch). If I was on my own. I would go as far as I could in 2WD. When I wasn't comfortable I would turn around or reroute and know that I still had 4WD if I needed it. You would be surprised how far you can take a a stock 4WD in 2WD.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I had a rule before I had an upgraded vehicle (winch). If I was on my own. I would go as far as I could in 2WD. When I wasn't comfortable I would turn around or reroute and know that I still had 4WD if I needed it. You would be surprised how far you can take a a stock 4WD in 2WD.
I wish someone had told me that 15 years ago LOL. I got good a self recovery while carrying nothing. Actually that came in handy a few weeks ago on a winter camping trip when I recovered my buddy's GMC 1500 with some twigs broken up under the tires from traction and some heavy duty ratchet straps to keep him from sliding down the bank on the other side of the road. On the plus side my buddy thinks I can do anything now LOL.

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

I wish someone had told me that 15 years ago LOL. I got good a self recovery while carrying nothing. Actually that came in handy a few weeks ago on a winter camping trip when I recovered my buddy's GMC 1500 with some twigs broken up under the tires from traction and some heavy duty ratchet straps to keep him from sliding down the bank on the other side of the road. On the plus side my buddy thinks I can do anything now LOL.
Be careful he'll be calling you every time he gets stuck. LOL!!

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Be careful he'll be calling you every time he gets stuck. LOL!!
HAHAHA that's ok I'm pretty sure the only time he ever gets away from home is when I invite him on a trip. I usually plan a trip once a year in the winter and we do a winter camping trip. I kinda wish I had taken pictures of the recovery.

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

HAHAHA that's ok I'm pretty sure the only time he ever gets away from home is when I invite him on a trip. I usually plan a trip once a year in the winter and we do a winter camping trip. I kinda wish I had taken pictures of the recovery.
It's good to get people out. We did a winter camping trip last year. Froze our butts off, but it was fun. As far as pictures. The best things happen when a camera isn't available.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
It's good to get people out. We did a winter camping trip last year. Froze our butts off, but it was fun. As far as pictures. The best things happen when a camera isn't available.
Yep frozen butts are a regular thing with our style of camping. make a fire a sleep next to it. I use more shelter in the summer because of bugs than I do in the winter.

20180126_133217.jpg

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Yep frozen butts are a regular thing with our style of camping. make a fire a sleep next to it. I use more shelter in the summer because of bugs than I do in the winter.

View attachment 134652
That looks cold! Here is my Jeep from a few weeks back. It was so cold the snow wouldn't melt off! LOL!20191216_152230.jpg

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Basically. All the trails around here are closed until May 24 so the snowmobiles can use them. I spend most of the winter fixing the things I broke in the summer anyway lol
We can wheel all year if you know where to go, but it gets really hard on things. Lots of RPM's and clutch work. I try to stay low (out of the mountains) in the easier areas to save wear and tear. Save that for summer.